Author Topic: Family in Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone  (Read 37014 times)

Offline Scotschap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family in Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone
« Reply #54 on: Friday 20 April 12 10:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much for your prompt help.  This fills in another gap in my family tree.  I will look for a picture of Ethel but am not very optomistic although I have pictures of my Grandmother and their youngest sister, Edith.  I have just started researching the Cardwell side of my family having spent the last 4 years doing my maternal side with many visits to PRONI!
Regards to you both.

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 20 April 12 16:26 BST (UK) »
It looks to me like William J. Todd b 1869 is descended from one branch of the family of Robert Todd b abt 1770 who married Isabella Love. 

Robert and Isabella are thought to be the parents of
Alexander Todd b 1795 the ancestor of Richard Todd the actor
John Todd b 1800 the father of Robert Todd who married Jane Stewart in 1865 and the grandfather of William J. Todd.
Margaret Todd b 1814 md John Patterson died 1892 Mt Keira, New South Wales
William Love Todd b 1817 d 1908 md Elizabeth White

A descendant of William Love Todd b 1817 has done DNA testing and shown to have the same DNA pattern as the Todds who settled in Co Down in the 1600s and the Todds who lived in Coleraine and Dunluce in the early 1700s and a Todd family that lived in Ayrshire.   Many branches of the original family came to America in the 1700s and 1800s.   

Offline Scotschap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 17 May 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
Jill.  Sadly I can't find a photo of Ethel but I did discover that Thomas Hamilton was the linen factory manager running the factory at Tullyelmer.  The factory, not then owned by the Cardwells was about 300 yards from the house.  Thomas advertised terrier puppies for sale giving the Tullyelmer factory as his address on 30th Augusr 1899.  I suspect this is where they met and as you know they were married a year later.  Hope this is of interest.

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 19 May 12 17:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that little tidbit.

It's always interesting to try to figure out how the families intersected.

J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline khiangtelian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 02 October 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
Ethel Cardwell who married Thomas Hamilton was my great Aunt.  Born 1875, she was of Tullyelmer House, Armagh - a farmer's daughter.  Do you know if they had any children?  Would be grateful for the date of marriage if you knew it.

HI
My name is Van Lian from Burma (Myanmar) currently working as a civil Engineer in the UK. I am doing a research for the Chin Hill Battalion. One day, a WW2 veteran from India told me that he has Lt.Col Allyen Cardwell Moore belonging and he would like to return it to his relatives in the UK. The item is a sort of gong which Lt.Col Moore presented it to the Chin Hills Battalion in 1936 which he commanded at that time. The veteran is now 95 years old and he was desperate to return this to the relative of Lt.Col Moore.

I went to the British Library and find out about him. “Lt Col Alleyn Cardwell Moore, (1898-1983). 1st commission: 18/04/1916, Assistant Commandant, Chin Hills Battalion (later 3 Chin Rifles), Burma Frontier Force, 1925-1929; Officer Commanding Military Police, Naga Hills Expedition, 1928; Commandant, Chin Hills Battalion, 1932-1934, 1937-1942, transferred to the Indian Army 18/04/1942".

He returned in the UK after WW2 and he was appointed as High Sherrif for Co. Armagh for the year of 1958 which I can find on THE BELFAST GAZETTE, 3rd JANUARY, 1958. On this, His Excellency the Governor of Northern Ireland has been pleased to appoint the under mentioned gentlemen to the Office of High Sheriff of the following counties in Northern Ireland: — Lieut.-Colonel Alleyn Cardwell Moore. Tullyelmer House, Armagh, Co. Armagh.

I can find Lt.Col Moore on 1911 Irish Census. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?searchMoreVisible=false&census_year=1911&surname=Moore&firstname=Alleyn&county19011911=Armagh&county1821=&county1831=&county1841=&county1851=&barony=&parish=&ward=&townland=&houseNumber=&familyId=&ded=&age=13&sex=M&search=Search&ageInMonths=&relationToHead=&religion=&education=&occupation=&marriageStatus=&yearsMarried=&birthplace=&nativeCountry=&language=&deafdumb=&causeOfDeath=&yearOfDeath=&familiesNumber=&malesNumber=&femalesNumber=&maleServNumber=&femaleServNumber=&estChurchNumber=&romanCatNumber=&presbNumber=&protNumber=&marriageYears=&childrenBorn=&childrenLiving=#searchmore

On your post you are talking about Tullyelmer and Ethen Cardwall and I thought this might be related. I would like to think that Lt.Col Alleyn C Moore took his middle name from Ethen Cardwall? I wonder if you could help.

Regards

Van Cung Lian

Offline khiangtelian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 02 October 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Ethel Cardwell who married Thomas Hamilton was my great Aunt.  Born 1875, she was of Tullyelmer House, Armagh - a farmer's daughter.  Do you know if they had any children?  Would be grateful for the date of marriage if you knew it.

HI
My name is Van Lian from Burma (Myanmar) currently working as a civil Engineer in the UK. I am doing a research for the Chin Hill Battalion. One day, a WW2 veteran from India told me that he has Lt.Col Allyen Cardwell Moore belonging and he would like to return it to his relatives in the UK. The item is a sort of gong which Lt.Col Moore presented it to the Chin Hills Battalion in 1936 which he commanded at that time. The veteran is now 95 years old and he was desperate to return this to the relative of Lt.Col Moore.
I went to the British Library and find out about him. “Lt Col Alleyn Cardwell Moore, (1898-1983). 1st commission: 18/04/1916, Assistant Commandant, Chin Hills Battalion (later 3 Chin Rifles), Burma Frontier Force, 1925-1929; Officer Commanding Military Police, Naga Hills Expedition, 1928; Commandant, Chin Hills Battalion, 1932-1934, 1937-1942, transferred to the Indian Army 18/04/1942".
He returned in the UK after WW2 and he was appointed as High Sherrif for Co. Armagh for the year of 1958 which I can find on THE BELFAST GAZETTE, 3rd JANUARY, 1958. On this, His Excellency the Governor of Northern Ireland has been pleased to appoint the under mentioned gentlemen to the Office of High Sheriff of the following counties in Northern Ireland: — Lieut.-Colonel Alleyn Cardwell Moore. Tullyelmer House, Armagh, Co. Armagh.
I can find Lt.Col Moore on 1911 Irish Census. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?searchMoreVisible=false&census_year=1911&surname=Moore&firstname=Alleyn&county19011911=Armagh&county1821=&county1831=&county1841=&county1851=&barony=&parish=&ward=&townland=&houseNumber=&familyId=&ded=&age=13&sex=M&search=Search&ageInMonths=&relationToHead=&religion=&education=&occupation=&marriageStatus=&yearsMarried=&birthplace=&nativeCountry=&language=&deafdumb=&causeOfDeath=&yearOfDeath=&familiesNumber=&malesNumber=&femalesNumber=&maleServNumber=&femaleServNumber=&estChurchNumber=&romanCatNumber=&presbNumber=&protNumber=&marriageYears=&childrenBorn=&childrenLiving=#searchmore
On your post you are talking about Tullyelmer House and I thought this might be related. I wonder if you could help.

Regards

Van Cung Lian

Offline Scotschap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 03 October 14 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Van Lian.
My name is Patrick Cardwell Moore and I am the son of Lt. Col Alleyn Cardwell Moore who died in 1983.  I am extremely interested in your post read today.  I visited Burma in 1996 but was unable to visit Falam.  However I did see the hospital where I was born in 1941 in Maymo!  I have a large collection of photographs and records to do with the Chin Hills Battalion including an early history up to 1945 which might interest you.  Please get in touch, I would very much like to meet you.
Regards
Patrick Cardwell Moore

Offline khiangtelian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 03 October 14 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Van Lian.
My name is Patrick Cardwell Moore and I am the son of Lt. Col Alleyn Cardwell Moore who died in 1983.  I am extremely interested in your post read today.  I visited Burma in 1996 but was unable to visit Falam.  However I did see the hospital where I was born in 1941 in Maymo!  I have a large collection of photographs and records to do with the Chin Hills Battalion including an early history up to 1945 which might interest you.  Please get in touch, I would very much like to meet you.
Regards
Patrick Cardwell Moore

Hallelluyah .... Thank you so mcuh. I am actually from Falam. I was born and bred in Falam and came to UK 8 years a go. I lived there all my life. Will you be able to give me your email address. It is a chin hill battalion seal, gong sth like. On it, your father's name is printed.

Offline Ringfad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 21 January 17 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scotschap

It's great to hear from you...

As Aghadowey said, Thomas and Ethel had two children, Maureen and Douglas, both of whom have passed away.

Thomas and Ethel married 5 June 1900 at Rosemary St Presbyterian Church, in Belfast. Both died in Belfast, Thomas 1 Nov 1953  at the Royal Victoria Hospital and Ethel on 13 Mar 1965 at Maureen's home. They're supposed to be buried together at F70 Knockbreda Cemetary but I haven't been able to obtain a picture. I'm half the world away.

Sadly, they are two of the very few of my Irish family that remained in Ireland. I'd love to learn anything you can tell me about Ethel and Thomas. I do have a couple pictures of Thomas but none of Ethel.

I think their son, Douglas died in 1972 but am not certain, and believe Maureen died in 2002.

As for Ethel's family, I found her father's will online at PRONI. I'll let you find it yourself, that's half of the fun but let me know if you want my help.

Look forward to hearing from you. Rootschat is a wonderful resource, everyone is extremely helpful!!

Jill

I am Maureen's son John. I have just signed up to this forum so still coming to terms with it. I have a lot of information on Thomas and Ethel including photographs of the whole family.