Author Topic: Blackers Department Store, Liverpool  (Read 13548 times)

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blackers Department Store, Liverpool
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 February 09 01:46 GMT (UK) »

Gunmetal winkle pickers !! ..... those were all the rage lesleyhannah .....  to die for !!  ;D

Back to topic ......  :)

Despite being destroyed in The Blitz of May 1941 during World War II, the business survived. Temporary outlets were created in Bold Street and Church Street and the first part of the new store opened on 29 March 1953 where it remained until its closure in April 1988. The site now includes a Wetherspoons chain pub, named Richard John Blackler in honour of the store's founder. Blackler died in 1919 and was succeeded as a partner in the business by his wife Margaret. She died in 1957 without children and so ended the store's connection with the family that gave it its name.

After the death of Margaret Blackler, the store in Elliot St became the property of individuals, of which the major shareholder was the sportswoman Vera Kingston. (Margaret's God-Daughter). In 1983 following her death the store was sold on once again, and all links to the original owners disappeared.

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Rubyroo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 February 09 17:36 GMT (UK) »
After the death of Margaret Blackler, the store in Elliot St became the property of individuals, of which the major shareholder was the sportswoman Vera Kingston. (Margaret's God-Daughter). In 1983 following her death the store was sold on once again, and all links to the original owners disappeared.

This is almost right Annie, but Vera was actually adopted by Mrs Blackler as her daughter, the reason this was done was because Mrs Blacklers estate had to be left to a living relative and as she had no children of her own adoption was the only alternative.  My father was actually Mrs Blacklers godson, my fathers mother was May Child who was Vera's sister (my great aunt)

Vera played Tennis for Lancashire and also Bandminton for England.

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 April 09 13:38 BST (UK) »
I seem to remember a very large ( maybe 10 feet long) model of a parrot hanging on a ring suspended from the ceiling in the big stair well. Also a large - well I was only four- wooden rocking horse for kids to sit on.

When they re-opened after the war they once had father christmas and his grotto arriving while still in October.
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline mrsscouser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 April 09 14:05 BST (UK) »
it wasnt far from Lime street and Liverpool Central stations. I remember going to the grotto there each year at Christmas time, it was like a big day out for me and my brothers as we used to live over the water in the wirral. It was fab!

Offline scouse_mouse_2000uk

• RootsChat Senior
  • G Grandparent's Lewis
    • View Profile
I am researching the following names.....Owen/s-Holyhead, Rimmer/Lewis-West Derby, Wood/s/Hayter-Toxteth

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 April 09 09:08 BST (UK) »
Just a bit on Henderson's fire. I was in Byrom St. nautical school doing a ticket and from the window on the William Brown St side we could see across to the smoke rising. When it was first spotted and someone said " Henderson's is on fire" one of the lads shot out of his desk and jumped through the open window (it was a warm day) onto the grass and raced off there as his wife worked in Henderson's. I think she was OK. Alan
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 April 09 09:39 BST (UK) »
My nana worked in Blacklers for years, before the war and after.  She was very upset when she came to work and the place had been hit by some kind of incendiary.  That's what sent her to the WAAFs - for revenge!  She was 18, she faked id to join up young, the lads she worked with in the clothing area clubbed together to get a photo of her they could keep.  I think it was taken in store - I'll post it later.

I remember it years later 1970s when I was a hyperactive 5 year old ecstatic at having a free rein over the bargain table in the basement.  That basement was hallowed ground for me.  Stationary, toys galore.  But the bargain table was the best bit choosing from a cornucopia of things - just little things.  I adopted about 15 men on parachutes, all met a sad end  >:( the whole regiment chewed by the dog at some point.

A decade later I bought my first leg warmers.  Banned as school attire.  But I'm a rebel and Blackers supported my endeavour.  Ground floor Clayton Sq side, loads of leg warmers.

I genuinely got upset when I returned to Liverpool following University and saw a Wetherspoons.  This was not right, the world order was wrong.

So I thank your ancestors for my happy memories  ;D

Pam
 :)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 April 09 11:50 BST (UK) »
Wow -= what a lot of memories your postings brought flooding back to this exiled scouser. My fondest memories were of Bunnies, Hobbies, near Clayton Square, Paddy's Market and Reece's top floor restaurant,

Thanks all of you
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.

Offline opsman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 18:57 BST (UK) »
It is nice to know that Blacklers brings back so many fond memories even though the store was sold on some 27 years ago.

I am Vera's Grandson and enjoyed visiting the stores very much during my childhood.

I visited Elliot Street last year having moved back to the area and was interested to see that the Wetherspoons Pub now located where the main store was has a Lunchtime "Blacklers" menu, whether coincidence or not I do not know, but was nice to see.

I also note that "Blackie" still made the Daily Mail newspaper last year.... that was a shock!

Apart from the rocking horse which lives on there is another "rock" claim to fame for Blacklers, I was always told that the Beatles George Harrison had worked at Blacklers in Elliot Street for a short period of time and was somewhat of a rebel quite often being late for work!

Somewhere there also exists a letter the Queen's equiry thanking The Blacklers for lending their limousines for the royal visit to Liverpool after the WW2 blitz which effectively brought the retailing dynasty to its knees.

Where does the time go??