Author Topic: Daniel Pinching marriage date?  (Read 3790 times)

Offline kiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Daniel Pinching marriage date?
« on: Tuesday 17 February 09 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a Daniel Peacock Pinching on the 1901 Jersey Census living with his wife Eleanor and child(also) Daniel Pinching (aged 2) in the St Helier District, occupation, Stationer. 

Can anyone tell me his date of marriage and wife's maiden name?  Best guess would be around 1899/1900.

I have looked on the Free BMD but rather gather it does not include Jersey.  His Wife Eleanor shows as being born in Jersey on the 1901 census.

Any information would be appreciated.
Regards,
kiwi

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Pinching marriage date?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kiwi

There is an entry in the index for St Helier Church, September 1895 to September 1899 for Daniel Peacock Wildbore Pinching on page 62. There is a Elina Selina Brooks on the same page.

As I was passing the Registry Office I called in and had a look at the certificate. The details are that they married 11th April 1898. DPWP was a bachelor, living in St Helier and a stationer. He was born in Walthemstow, Essex.  His father was Horatio Nelson (wow!) Pinching and of "no profession".

ESB was single and living in St Andrews, part of St Helier. She was born in St Helier. Her father was Thomas Masons Brooks and again "no profession".

The witnesses were Thomas Brooks and Edward Charles Rawcliffe.

Stewart

Offline kiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Thank you for all that information, so prompt too :).  Much appreciated.

Yes the names are a delight,  it makes them so easy to follow over the years. Daniel had a brother with the name Horatio Nelson too!  Actually all of them have two or three Christian names which is smashing.

Hope your weather is not too chilly, it is a scorcher of a summer here.

Best regards,
kiwi

Offline Coloradohighlander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 03:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Kiwi & Hill, my names is Charles Owen Bailey and Daniel W.P. Pinching was my grandfather. He immigrated from Jersey after WWI &  married Thelma Durrer.  Are you related to him?
In just found this post which I know is old but I wanted to reach out..

Offline kiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Coloradohighlander,

Nice to hear from you, I am connected to the Pinching family through William Hamilton Ennis Pinching.  William's second wife was my great grandmother. (think I have the greats right!) William H E would have been your Daniels uncle.

The Pinching's are an interesting family, who travelled far and wide.  Have you been in touch with enigma47 through this board he has a lot of information on the family too. If there is anything I can help you with don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,
kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 05:17 BST (UK) »
I am only finding out more about Dan and the Pinchings just lately. I have not reached out to enigma47. So my grandfather's uncle is brother to Dan W.P. Pinching Sr? I know that dan jrs mom was Eleanor Selena brooks and passed when Dan was young. His Father left for the States and dan Jr was raised by Eleanor's sister Tot (Aunt Tot) at 66 King st in jersey. I have letters from the family to Dan from during german occupation of how hard it was. I find that the brooks and pinchings were stationers as I have old photos of a seaplane delivering the  first newspapers from England to a boat in St. Helier and then to their shop. Dan was a Motorcycle Machine Gunner in the BlackWatch in WWI
I have looked at some of the older posts as where there was a Doctor Pinching also.
I guess this would make us distant relatives. Are you located in New Zealand? Great Britain? The States?  Dan and Thelma were married on Nov. 23, 1924. I have their wedding Photo. I also have his mother and fathers (Dans Sr and Eleanor's) hand written marriage license.
I really appreciate the reply kiwi

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am just a researcher with no connection to the family.

Stewart

Offline kiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Coloradohighlander,

Yes I am in NZ, when you have made 5 postings i will be able to send you a private message with my email address, that way we won't clutter up the board with repeat information. 

'My' William Hamilton Ennis Pinching (b1838) was the brother of Horatio Nelson Pinching (b1841) and Richard Lloyd Pinching (b1843) in Walthamstowe.  Their father was Richard Lloyd Pinching (b1796).

Horatio N Pinching (b1841) married Frances Sophia Wildbore and from what I can see lived and died in London.  His son  Daniel Peacock Wildbore Pinching (born 1872) moved to Jersey and went on to have a son Daniel  and that is the son that went to Canada. 

At least that is what I have,  I could be wrong, the repeat names make for confusing sometimes.

Kind regards,
kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 22:31 BST (UK) »
Yes. but no. Horiato had a Daniel that went to jersey. That Dan (Sr) on jersey had a Dan (Jr & my Grandfather)  After Eleanor's passing on Jersey, Dan Sr. left Dan Jr with Eleanor's Sister on jersey and went back to England I believe. Dan Jr. was raised on jersey, enlisted in  WWI and immigrated to the US in 1922. Dan sr followed later and lived for a time with my young Mother and grandfather in washington D.C.. Dan Sr did remarry and had a daughter named 'Gladis' to which we found out about after she died unmarried and recieved a small inheritance from.
As far as I know Dan Jr my Grandfather never entered Canada as I have his English passport.