Author Topic: Spelling of Edward/Eduardi 1680 (Dolphin)  (Read 2613 times)

Offline sammidav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Spelling of Edward/Eduardi 1680 (Dolphin)
« on: Sunday 13 February 05 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,
I wonder if anyone could help me:
I have traced one line of my family tree (Dolphin) back to a christening in 1689. The father's name is given as Eduardi/Edwardi/Edward. Could anyone tell me whether this is a feature of spelling Edward with an 'i' is a feature of historical spelling or indicative of foreign origins? Also if this is the time of the Civial War were the records more scant during this time as I can't trace back to his wedding? What is the limit of how far back I can actually find church records for people?
Thanks,
Sam
Dawson, Abraham, Duck, Dolphin, Bromley, Milnes
Elwell, Gorst, Smith

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jebbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Spelling of Edward/Eduardi 1680 (Dolphin)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 February 05 17:38 GMT (UK) »
The father's name given as "Eduardi" / "Edwardi" / similar is an indicator the record is in Latin (Eduardi is the genitive case of Eduardus i.e. "of Edward").

It probably reads something like "<son's name> filius Eduardi <surname> et <wife's name> uxoris ejus bap."

--- Tony Jebson

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.