Author Topic: Aukland - Frankham and Bishop family  (Read 19987 times)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: Aukland - Frankham and Bishop family
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 28 February 09 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,

You have been a busy beaver ;D   

I agree that Gribble is a less common name  .... the only time I have come across it was when I had "Gribble" in my class at school many moons ago ;D

There is/was a Gribble clan living on the North Shore.

Cheers
KHP ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 28 February 09 21:41 GMT (UK) »

Deborah had four children
Norman Gribble born 1885
Charles born 1882
DOrothea born 1889
Frank born 1890
I am trying to establish whether her husband Charles Gribble was born in New Zealand or travelled out at a similar time to Deborah. I have found an earlier family living there. Also references to Charles Gribble, a teacher, but not sure if this is the same one.

Mmmm ... I wonder who this is ??

[Probate record at Archives NZ - Auckland]

GRIBBLE - Charles,  banker - 1901

Has a death record been found for Deborah's husband ??

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 28 February 09 21:56 GMT (UK) »
  --- We agree that GRIBBLE is/was, an unusual name, however there were quite a number of GRIBBLE's marrying in NZ around the same time as Deborah and Charles. 

Not sure if that suggests the presence of a number of GRIBBLE families  ... or just one large family  (of which Charles might have be a part) ?

These are the "marrying" GRIBBLE's between 1880 and 1888.

Catherine / Edward James / Eliza Jane / Elizabeth / Elizabeth Ann / Ellen / Emily Jane/ William John  .. and Catherine (in 1888).     (Also a couple of Gribble marriages as far back as 1855)

Maybe you can use these names when searching ... say FREE BMD (UK) for places of birth, passenger lists etc. etc.  ???

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 28 February 09 22:04 GMT (UK) »

....   Charles GRIBBLE - "teacher" .

Where was this chap residing ?    (Maybe the location gives a clue as to whether he might have been Deborah's spouse) ?

[Can only see two "Charles GRIBBLE marriages" - 1880 and a Charles Henry in 1907.    Of course there may have been a Charles who was a teacher (but was not married) ?  ]

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 28 February 09 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just noticed the MI (burial of Deborah GRIBBLE at Waikaraka - 1925).

In same plot is a "Dorothea Mabel TAKLE" (and husband William).

Dorothea is possibly the daughter of Deborah   ???

Edit:   Whoops  ... just noticed that you had already found a birth for Dorothea.

[Dorothea Mabel GRIBBLE married William TAKLE - 1909].

Lu

PS    Frank Wilfred GRIBBLE - d. 1922 - aged 31 (also at Waikaraka Cemetery).

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 01 March 09 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Dear all

I have done a bit more digging on the Gribbles. I have found 3 deaths for 'Charles Gribble' - all in Hillsbrough

1901 age 47 - implies born 1854 which is suitable age for husband of my Deborah - and ties in with probate record mentioned on previous post - Charles banker. There is also a probate record for Deborah who died in 1925. How easy is it to see these records? Is it something I could ask someone to do for me. If a fee is necessary is the information worth it?

1918 age 79 - implies born c1839 - I was going to say could be father but realise age not quite right unless mistake. This is the teacher I found reference to in papers past article (not sure if following link will work - if so it is somewhere on this page from Observer 30 Dec 1905)
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=TO19051230.2.7&srpos=36&e=-------10--31----0charles+gribble-article
BY the way the papers past is a brilliant resource - but not easy to search over 900 references to Gribbles - a bit easier if they were not so polite in referring mostly to 'Mr Gribble' But it gives a flavour of the times. I particulalry like articels listing names with unclaimed post! A bit of a contrast to to where I live where it is currently a bit hit and miss where and when anything gets delivered!

1925 age 43 - implies born 1882 - Deborah and Charles's son.

I am going to do a bit of searching in the UK for where the Gribbles may have come from. The family were definitely among the early settles. A Samuel Gribble and his wife arrived in New Zealand on 23 Jan 1843 on the Essex and I have found various references but nothering yet to tie up to my Charles. I have found some later arrivals (again on shipping lists on papers past) one of which states they came from Cambourne Cornwall which might help

Liz

BEDFORDSHIRE/HERTFORDSHIRE: Coles, Marsom, Hurst
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny
DERBYSHIRE: Brinsley
DEVON: Bidgood, Northam, Gillard, Westlake
GLOUCESTER: Abrahams, Pritchard, Washburn
IRELAND: Dean, Bateman
MIDDLESEX: Howe, Leah, Truelove
NEW ZEALAND: Bishop, Frankham, Oliver, Gribble
NORFOLK: Liffen, Hacon
SOMERSET: Bishop, Bridges, Palmer, Newport, Barrow, Hill, Wise, Boyte

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 19 March 09 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, The George Frankham born 1873 and  travelling to Australia in 1890 is George William Frankham. He was born in Peckham Rye Surrey the son of another George Frankham (born 1840) and Elizabeth Mann (born 1838 St Leonards Sussex).  George senior was the son of Henry Gore/Grove Frankham and Jane Almond, Jane is my 3x great aunt.
I have been in contact with a descendent of George William and she has given me information on the family in Australia, I have followed the family in England.  We have between us managed to trace our Henry Frankham to the Frankham family of Bitton and Keynsham Glos.  This goes back to a John Frankham born 1617 in Bitton.
If there is anything I can do to help please shout!
There is also this site which may be of interest, set up by another Francom descendent in the USA
http://www.francomfamily.com/index.php
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 March 09 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this.
I think my Walter Frankham who travelled to New Zealand with his family in 1873 was born in Keynsham in 1840, the son of Walter Frankham born in Keynsham in 1794.
BEDFORDSHIRE/HERTFORDSHIRE: Coles, Marsom, Hurst
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny
DERBYSHIRE: Brinsley
DEVON: Bidgood, Northam, Gillard, Westlake
GLOUCESTER: Abrahams, Pritchard, Washburn
IRELAND: Dean, Bateman
MIDDLESEX: Howe, Leah, Truelove
NEW ZEALAND: Bishop, Frankham, Oliver, Gribble
NORFOLK: Liffen, Hacon
SOMERSET: Bishop, Bridges, Palmer, Newport, Barrow, Hill, Wise, Boyte

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 19 March 09 10:33 GMT (UK) »
I believe that most of the Frankhams around originate from the Bitton/Keynsham area.  I know that the Bristol FHS have cds of some of the Keynsham parish records. 
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire