Author Topic: Aukland - Frankham and Bishop family  (Read 19937 times)

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aukland - Frankham and Bishop family
« Reply #45 on: Friday 29 January 10 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Paula.

This is just the sort of information it is great to have.

Although it is satisfying to trave ones ancestors back a few generations, I most enjoy finding out about the lives of the more recent generations. I am bulding quite detailed stories of the lives of some of the nineteenth century families. It is interesting how they were shaped by the times - poverty, disease, industrialisation - and the consequences.

LIz
BEDFORDSHIRE/HERTFORDSHIRE: Coles, Marsom, Hurst
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny
DERBYSHIRE: Brinsley
DEVON: Bidgood, Northam, Gillard, Westlake
GLOUCESTER: Abrahams, Pritchard, Washburn
IRELAND: Dean, Bateman
MIDDLESEX: Howe, Leah, Truelove
NEW ZEALAND: Bishop, Frankham, Oliver, Gribble
NORFOLK: Liffen, Hacon
SOMERSET: Bishop, Bridges, Palmer, Newport, Barrow, Hill, Wise, Boyte

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 01 October 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
I have just been doing a bit of tidying up on my New Zealand and Australia links and notice that I never found out when and what happened to  Albert Gersham Frankham or his sons in Australia.

I have confirmed details of his Keynsham heritage - he was the youngest son of Walter and Mary Frankham, Walter born Bitton 1792 - and wonder if this family ties up with Paula's. Walter (the younger) went to New Zealand in 1873 just after the death of his father, but I have not found any of his siblings there.

I am looking for a death for Albert Gersham Frankham (born 1864) and his sons Lancelot (born 1892) and Harold (born 1901). I also wonder if he had other children. I notice that he crops up in the shipping lists travelling to New Zealand and Europe - as does his son Lancelot.

Lancelot married and had a family - I have found him in the electoral rolls up to 1949. But I have not traced what happened to Harold.

I am particularly interested if any of Albert's family were soldiers in World War One. PArt of my 'story' has been following up the family members who fought in France.

Just realised this has turned into an Australian post so I will copy it to that board with a cross reference.

lizb
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny

Offline jocieg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 00:58 BST (UK) »
The Blampied mentioned above was my grandfather Martin Blampied who lived in Bayswater, Auckland for over 50 years.  His father was George Hamon Blampied who married Edith Frankham.

By the way, I think you have missed two other children of Walter and Elizabeth Frankham.

Sarah Annie or Annie was born in 1872 or 1874 and married William Wallace Snodgrass of Nelson in 27 January 1896, on the same day that her sister Marion married Henry Bond.

In the Nelson newspaper Sarah Annie is listed as the third daughter of Walter Frankham of Devonport, Auckland and Marion as the youngest daughter.

It isn't clear where Annie was born.  There is no record of her birth in New Zealand.  Marion's birth record is unusual in that it does not list her parents.

In a newspaper article on the death of Harold Frankham in Australia returning from the Boer war it states that his sister Mrs Snodgrass of Nelson was on her way to Auckland to welcome him back.

Mr Snodgrass was mayor of Nelson and a member of the legislative council (upper house).  He died at sea in mysterious circumstances. 
For New Zealand researchers, Wallace and Annie were parents of All Black number 271, Wallace Frankham Snodgrass.

You mention above that Walter Frankham born 1839 who married Elizabeth Bishop was the son of Walter Frankham born 1794.  I cannot find any census or other records which confirm this.  Is there any information you can give me on the Frankhams of Keynsham ?  Thanks.

I think you know about the sister of Elizabeth who married Dr Wine and also went to New Zealand.  He was mentioned frequently in family letters of the period and features in photo albums.

Best regards,

Offline jocieg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 01:08 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say that Marion was born in 1874 and died in 1936.   Annie died in 1941.

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 12:13 BST (UK) »
This is info I have noted in my tree re Walter Frankham. I have noted that further confirmation needed on parents as could be grandparents rather than parents (big age gap and would expect Walter to  be eldest son of Walter rather than youngest - unless elder Walter died and this is second son same name)
1841 census - with parents in Kenynsham. 1851 senses - servant in CLifton, Bristol. 1861 - carpenter Clifton.
Walter Frankham baptised 10 Nov 1839 St JOhns Keynsham
Parents Walter Frankham 1792-1872 - baptism 24 June 1792 Bitton
Mary Palmer 1796-1872 marriage 1814
Children
Sarah 1814-1816
JOhn 1816-1896
Sarah 1819 - 1828
William 1821-1822
William 1823-1913
Mary Ann 1824-1837
George 1827-1889
Sarah 1832-1897
Hester 1837
Walter 1839
I amaway form home at moment and willcheck to see if I have further notes on sources when I return

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
This is a follow up with further info and queries. Feel a bit frustrated as I am away from home with a weak internet access and I typed out a longish post which suddenly disappeared into the ether. So I will write this off line and paste it in and try again.
First, it is great to be in touch with a Bishop descendant in New Zealand. I am currently pulling together a story of what happened to the various branches – including the 5 in New Zealand – Edith and Walter Frankham, Deborah and Charles Gribble, Charles and Margaret Bishop, Jane and Henry Wine, and Edith and Robert Oliver.
I have added quite a bit of info since my last post and recently have been following up family members who served in World War One – including Henry and Martin Blampied. Family members in England and New Zealand remained close until at least World War One. I have been in touch with another descendant who says his sisters remember receiving food parcels from New Zealand during the war.
Some extra info – Sarah Annie Frankham was born in London (Pancras) in 1872. The family lived there for a while before they emigrated in 1874. I  did not find a birth place for Marion – maybe some confusion in registering on arrival in NZ? Where did you find birth?
I am intrigued by Walter Snodgrass’s mysterious death at sea and will certainly follow this up. Can you give me any more info?
And excited by your reference to family letters and photographs. Have you any you can copy me  - particularly of the generation above who emigrated or their children. I do not have any of that generation myself – but I do have a picture of William Bishop, Elizabeth’s father. 
I  will reply to your personal message with my email address so that it is easier to exchange info.
 Incidentally I am a descendant of Frederick Bishop who was Elizabeth’s brother . He stayed in the UK – but he did make a brief journey to Argentina. He was a steam engineer who was going to work on the railways. But he had to return home for health reasons.
lizb

Offline jocieg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 06:21 BST (UK) »
This is really exciting! Marion was born in NZ. We found her on the NZ registers of births, marriages and deathe. She and her sister Annie were married on the same day, in Auckland. we couldn't find Sarah annie in NZ
birth records. However she is not listed on the passsenger list on the Lauderdale either. Mystery.
I have replied to your other post so we must share what we know.
Jocelyn

Offline bcreative

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone have a photograph of Henry and Marion (Frankham) Bond?
Henry is my GGGUncle and I have a large family photo I would like to try and identify persons.
Regards
Andrea Howatson