Author Topic: St. Pancras Marriage 1803/Birth 1804/5  (Read 14730 times)

Offline inarcadia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Pancras Marriage 1803/Birth 1804/5
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 April 09 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisypetal,

Yes, that's all in the right time and place. Thanks very much. Do you have a particular interest in the Constables?

Laurence

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 April 09 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

No sorry, no particular interest in the CONSTABLEs, just saw I might be able to lend a hand :)

Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline ian55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 May 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Laurence,

Sorry for the delay but I have been busy on other things. Sorry also to report I have no information on James Sturrock or anyone else who may have worked for William Constable the Jeweller.

Yes, according to the gravestone in Dundee daughter Janet Constable or Bruce died a few months after her mother but as she did survive her mother she would still inherit her half share and then on her death her estate would be inherited presumably by her husband and/or by her children. As far as I can tell the Bruces had four children, one of whom Robert Bruce born Dundee 1841 may have started the enquiries which led to the handwritten family tree.

The other half share went to William Constable junior 1813-1876.
1813 born in Dundee
1841 Census appears with the family at Albert's Court Dundee described as a Clerk.
1851 Census I think he is in Edinburgh living at a Lodging House and described as a Managing Clerk.
1852 he married his cousin Mary Constable in Edinburgh. She was the daughter of Alexander Constable 1778-1831 Farmer at Craigsanquhar Parish of Leuchars Fife. They had a total of eight children between 1853 and 1865.
1861 Census he is living at 2 Lauriston Terrace Edinburgh described as a Clerk to a WS
1871 Census he is living at 2 Broughton Street Edinburgh described as a General Clerk
1876 died at 12 Dryden Street Pilrig Edinburgh described as an Iron Company's Clerk

You will remember from the Will that William was also named as one of the Executors along with two others. Peter Walker, Farmer at Nydie (which is near St. Andrews) declined to accept office. He was also known as "of Kingask" which is near Cupar and he was a JP. He lived from 1793-1861 and is buried at Cupar. He was a relative being a married to a niece of William Constable the Jeweller. I have not been able to establish any family connection to the other Executor Robert Gibb Stephen.

Ian55

Offline inarcadia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 May 09 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,

I just picked your last posting up at the end of the day. I'll read it on the Tube.

If you take a look on:
http://us-census.org/pub/usgenweb/census/ca/sacramento/1850/pg0187b.txt
and:
 http://www.censusfinder.com/california.htm

for Alex and Ann Constable, you should find the following:

---------------------Begin Actual Transcription---------------------------

CENSUS YR: 1850  STATE: CA  COUNTY: Sacramento  DIVISION: Sacramento City  REEL NO: M432-35  PAGE NO: 187B
REFERENCE: 19th Nov, 1850 by Wm N Johnson
====================================================================================================================================
 LN  HN   FN  LAST NAME      FIRST NAME     AGE  SEX  RACE  OCCUP.         VAL.      BIRTHPLACE       MRD.  SCH.  R/W  DDB   REMARKS
====================================================================================================================================
 1   1046 1098 Cross         Ansil C        36    M    .    Trader         .         Vt                .     .     .    .    .
 2   1047 1099 Conger        Thomas         47    M    .    Boarding House .         N.J.              .     .     .    .    .
 3   1047 1099 Conger        Sarah M        35    F    .    .              .         N.Y.              .     .     .    .    .
 4   1047 1099 Conger        Maria A        17    F    .    .              .         Ohio              .     .     .    .    .
 5   1047 1099 Conger        Hannah C       14    F    .    .              .         Mich              .     .     .    .    .
 6   1047 1099 Conger        Charles C      10    M    .    .              .         Mich              .     .     .    .    .
 7   1047 1099 Conger        Thomas J F     2     M    .    .              .         Mich              .     .     .    .    .
 8   1048 1100 McMahan       Morgan         24    M    .    Boarding House 800       Ind               .     .     .    .    .
 9   1048 1100 Prather       Nicholis       21    M    .    Teamster       800       Ky                .     .     .    .    .
 10  1048 1100 Prather       Joseph         16    M    .    Teamster       .         Ind               .     .     .    .    .
 11  1048 1100 Heswitt       David          23    M    .    .              700       Ills              .     .     .    .    .
 12  1048 1100 Hatslar       Jos G          36    M    .    Teamster       .         Va                .     .     .    .    .
 13  1049 1101 Constable     Alex           40    M    .    Boarding House .         Scot              X     .     .    .    .
 14  1049 1101 Constable     Ann            34    F    .    .              .         Scot              X     .     .    .    .
 15  1049 1102 McKail        James          38    M    .    Washerman      .         Eng               X     .     .    .    .
 16  1049 1102 McKail        Elizabeth      21    F    .    .              .         Eng               X     .     .    .    .
 17  1049 1102 McKail        Sacramento     3/165 F    .    .              .         California        .     .     .    .    .

There's also an entry for 1860.

I'll be in touch again soon.

Laurence

Offline ian55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 June 09 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Laurence,

What a fantastic find !! Do they have any children in 1860?

Ian55

Offline inarcadia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 June 09 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,

I haven't seen the photograph of the record and I don't even know if children are listed. But I think it's on Ancestry.com, but I don't have a subscription. Perhaps one of the RootWeb Aristocrats can help – DaisyPetal?

Laurence

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think I've found Alexander and Ann going to America,

Alexander CONSTABLE    age:36    Occupation: gentleman
Ann CONSTABLE    age: 30    Occupation: immigrant

Ship: Lisbon
Embarkation: Glasgow   
Compartment: Cabin 
Native Country: Great Britain 
Destination: USA 
Arrival Date: 11 Sep 1848
Transit Type: Staying in the U.S. 

You can also find them at CastleGarden.org,

http://www.rootschat.com/links/06fm/

No children in 1860,

Year: 1860
Census Place: Sacramento Ward 4, Sacramento, California
Roll: M653_63    Page: 559    Image: 566

Alex CONSTABLE    49    Housekeeper    Value of Personal Estate: 300   POB: Scot
Anna      "  "          40                                                                    POB: Scot

Their ages seem to have been overwritten so might not be reliable.

I can't find them after this.

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline ian55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to find and post this information. I have no doubt these are the right people.

At one time I had harboured the notion of them sailing round Cape Horn to join the California gold rush but I still think it must have been very brave of them to consider sailing across the Atlantic in 1848 and then overland to California to set up a Boarding House in Sacramento. Sadly it seems they had no children so there are no long lost cousins in California.

Ian55

Offline inarcadia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian and DaisyPetal,

Thank you both very much for your help on this. This particular Constable line seems to come to an end here, but who knows? It would be interesting to discover if Alexander Constable did any gold- or silver-smithing in California (plenty of gold around) but I think that will have to wait for a trip to the US.

Laurence (inarcadia)