Author Topic: Your Favourite Census Mistranscriptions!  (Read 60004 times)

Paul E

Re: Your Favourite Census Mistranscriptions!
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 11:28 GMT (UK) »
What's the problem?  She probably got Sunday afternoon off.

Paul

Offline Sue Thomas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure about that?
O'Connell, Robinson, Conway, Cunningham (Liverpool and Ireland)
Smith, Vallis, Fry (Somerset), Horrocks (London), Neighbour (Bucks).
Lookup information is for personal research purposes only and is Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Wee Bairn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Deid Rellie Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 February 05 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,First time posting and all that.I have a family name that has changed 5 times from father James Quade (valuation records)mother Jane Quete (VR) ,Their marriage is recorded as James Quiet married to Jane Ferguson (LDS)all in Ireland .Then son Andrew Meate and family on Scottish census and finally Andrew Queate(same gent) on all other BMD and census.I freely admit to a lot of help from some really determined people to have traced them at all.
Wee Bairn

Looking for Haldane , Johnstone , Keir ,McLauchlan ,Queate , Walker ,Laurie ,Holmes ,McIlwee , Welsh ,Torrance ,Newport ,Rae ,Scott ,Clark ,Hill ,Millar , McMillan ,Dalziel ,Longmuir ,Wardrop , Grey , Young ,Frew , Main ,Cockburn , Ferguson ,Duncan ,Strachan , Stewart , Campbell copyrighted material from both © Crown copyright and copyright Scotland On Line Ltd.:  Genealogy, family history and family tree information  and Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul E

« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 February 05 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Wee Bairn!  You must have had quite a struggle tracing all those, I'll bet!

Hope to see you posting on Rootschat again soon.

best wishes

Paul

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 February 05 22:10 GMT (UK) »
I've just found the SOURBEER family of North Meols on the 1871 census - should be Sourbutts.  But I think the transcriber was influenced by the father's profession: Night Soiler...

Perhaps he ought to stick to whiskey?  :-\
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul E

« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 February 05 22:33 GMT (UK) »
The pubs in North Meols are a bit ropey these days too, MR! :)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 February 05 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Could'nt find him in the 1881 so I thought he had 'carked 'it ( OZ
terminology) ........ but he was there in 1891 ........... took a lot of hours to find out why I could'nt find him in 1881 ........ you know why??
In 1881 he was called 'FWITCHIS' .............. honest .. if you dont believe me take a look ............. He's the only one there with that 'dopey' name !!
joboy 
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 February 05 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Just had to let you know about the interesting place of birth I found today while browsing around Gloucester censuses. How about -
Cripple Jerome Beingfrost Bitten

He was actually born in Gloucester - the above being in the disability column

... and I thought that Rubble Hole, Stroud (genuine) was an interesting birthplace.....

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline mickgall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Albert Gall 1897-1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 February 05 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I've seen some census search results on ancestry.com, that once I've checked the image out, always leave me baffled (polite terminology :)) as to how such a mistake can be made.
e.g a search brought up a location as Norwich NORWAY - now that sounded intriguing, on the image it was clearly Norwich Norfolk.
Another ancestor who I knew to be 35 was marked down as 65 but the image showed ........35, and one that really got the alarm bells ringing for no reason was my gt granmum who was born in Dewsbury Yorkshire. The search brought up the right name and age but the place of birth was Dewsbury Buckinghamshire... :o Blimey!!!!! I could have been following a wrong branch and spent quite a considerable sum of money on this wrong branch. A look at the image showed it was Yorkshire  after all  ;D.
I've got lots of other examples but cant recall them right now as I've just got back from the pub so I'm a bit fuddled ;)

Mick
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

GALL-Norfolk,Cardiff,LondonTHOMAS-London,Herts,
PRIOR-N.Ireland,WOODS-N.Ieland,
DAWKES-Warks,DAVIS-Warkes'Wales,
JENNINGS-Surrey,Warks,London,SHELDRAKE-Essex,London,
BRITTON-Berks,BLAKELEY-Dewsbury W.Yorks