Author Topic: Your Favourite Census Mistranscriptions!  (Read 59989 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favourite Census Mistranscriptions!
« Reply #234 on: Monday 09 May 16 09:10 BST (UK) »
I daresay the transcribers for the 1911 census would not have been paid much at all (in India).
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Monday 09 May 16 09:14 BST (UK) »
I guess we will never know. At least she had a baptism, albeit in the eyes of God she's Thomas  :(

Maybe the minister had drunk all the communion wine that day  ;D ;D

claire

Presumably during the ceremony, which is the bit that counts, she was referred to as Clara and was baptised in that name. I expect it was just a careless bit of recording on behalf of the minister. I wonder how many of us may be recorded under a different name? I have my Christening certificate but have never looked at the original records.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Monday 09 May 16 09:19 BST (UK) »
... I think the problem comes back to unfamiliarity with copper-plate handwriting as very many surnames beginning with L are suffixed on the transcription with S. There may of course be similar errors on other letters.

And oddly enough, capital T can be read as L.  A misread capital may be the most difficult error to allow for when searching an index.  My grandfather Tydeman could only be found from his children's first names when he was indexed as Lydeman - not normally a 'similar' name any search system will think of.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Monday 09 May 16 09:34 BST (UK) »

38 years later Clara and my Grandfather baptised their fourth son, my Dad. I have his birth cert. and his birthday was always celebrated 14th September, birth year  1937.
LanOPC however transcribed his date of birth as the fourth of September.
Obviously not transcribed correctly, but I did get a bit of a shock when I found that record that day :)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Monday 09 May 16 11:26 BST (UK) »
... I think the problem comes back to unfamiliarity with copper-plate handwriting as very many surnames beginning with L are suffixed on the transcription with S. There may of course be similar errors on other letters.

And oddly enough, capital T can be read as L.  A misread capital may be the most difficult error to allow for when searching an index.  My grandfather Tydeman could only be found from his children's first names when he was indexed as Lydeman - not normally a 'similar' name any search system will think of.

Yes indeed, You have reminded me of incidents which occurred regularly with my late father's handwriting copper plate (b1899), his signature Luffman was often taken as Tuffman which led to endless complications.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 12:41 BST (UK) »

And oddly enough, capital T can be read as L.  A misread capital may be the most difficult error to allow for when searching an index. My grandfather Tydeman could only be found from his children's first names when he was indexed as Lydeman - not normally a 'similar' name any search system will think of.

Several of my Tuckey's are indexed as Luckey among other things, I think they've been one of the most difficult to find.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 13:37 BST (UK) »
I guess you could count yourself as "Luckey" then suey!!  :)
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Sunday 21 May 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
Not quite transcription more literacy as it is transcribed as on the original
The informant on my gggrandfather's death certificate was "son of the diseased"!
Presumably should read "deceased" or maybe not!!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder