Author Topic: Huguenots - Michelin and Varrell/Farrell  (Read 1472 times)

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Huguenots - Michelin and Varrell/Farrell
« on: Wednesday 18 February 09 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I wondered if anyone knows if there are plans to put any records related to the Huguenots online?

My GGGG grandfather was called Charles Norval Michelin. He was a carver of wood and was born abt 1807 in St James London according to the census.

Unfortunatley though his birth or baptism doesnt appear on the IGI and I tried the baptism records at westminster and he wasn't there either.

The is a Chas Michelin born 1803, but I dont believe he is mine as I have made contact with a lady who has a Charles Michelin in here tree and it is more than likely her Charles, as there is no Norval middle name for that one.

In 1841 he was living on George Street, Marylebone and then in 1851 and 1861 Ogle Mews again in Marylebone.

The name is very french sounding to me and his trade is typical of the Huguenots so I am wondering if he was perhaps the child of a Huguenot family.

I can't hire a private researcher to look into him for me and living in Canada it is hard to do the research myself. But I can move further backwards on his line.

His wife was Mary Ann Varrell or Farrell also born around 1808 in london. I assume they married around the late 1820s as their first child was born 1831 but again no marriage to be found. I have no idea where abouts she was born as she died in 1844 before the next census gives that information. Perhaps she was a child of Huguenots also.

Any suggestions/advice appreciated.
Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenots - Michelin and Varrell/Farrell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 19:43 GMT (UK) »
There were  at least two French Huguenot churches in London, La Patante, Spitalfields and The French Church at Threadneedle Street.  My ancestors christenings at both in 1760's are on IGI.  Burials often were in Bunhill Fields.

There is a Huguenot Library in London, I haven't been, but they may be able to help if you contact them.  Also you have to try every conceivable way of spelling the names and finally, have you looked at Channel Island records, my ancestors seemed to dodge between France, guernsey and London ~ just to make it easier for me!
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There were many French Huguenot churches in Soho. Many of mine were baptised at La Patente, Spitalfields. There was also St Jean Spitalfields and of course the Threadneedle Street church. I actually have the PR transcripts of La Patente and St jean which include parents places of origin and the names of the godparents.

Around 50'000 Huguenots settled in London in the 1680s to escape religious persecution in France. Many of them have pretty rare French names, making them easier to trace and I have proven a few French connections.

Ben
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 21:35 GMT (UK) »
The website of the Huguenot Society - http://www.huguenotsociety.org.uk/index.html
has a lot of useful information.  If you haven't done so, search this site and read the various guides there.
The Proceedings of the Society are published in book form and may also be on film/CD, but I suggest that depending on where you are in Canada (where I am too) you contact your nearest U library to see if they hold these books, and then go and see them there.

As stated, strictly speaking, Huguenots were the refugees from persecution, but the term is usually extended to include any French protestant families. Mine falls into the second category but I was still accepted for membership of the Society years ago.  Yours are at least protestants it seems, judging by the fact that they married in Anglican churches.
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 10:44 BST (UK) »
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.