Author Topic: Dating jewellery  (Read 6528 times)

Offline Marion_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dating jewellery
« on: Wednesday 18 February 09 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Good evening  :)

Does anyone have any useful tips for dating jewellery, or know of any good websites that might help?  The piece in question is a twist ring which I believe is late Victorian, though I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for any help,

Marion

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dating jewellery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 February 09 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Are there any Hallmarks?
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Marion_C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 February 09 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hepburn, there is a hallmark which I think (through much squinting) says 18ct.  Nothing else, so I don't know whether that will help at all... it has a light blue central sapphire with 2 small diamonds on each side.  The gold setting is indented where it curves round the gems. 

Marion

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 February 09 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marion,
There are a few sites listed here, which might help you:
http://antiques.about.com/od/victorianandedwardian/Victorian_and_Edwardian_Jewelry.htm
Good luck.
Paulene :)

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 February 09 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it's English which is a shame, you could have dated it from the  "date letter"where it was assayed and makers initials which would have been a great help...
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Marion_C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 February 09 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hepburn, that's actually very interesting as the woman I believe the ring originally belonged to travelled outside the UK with her family during the late 1870s/early 1880s.  I have been wondering where they went and the ring might be able to shed some light - assuming it is indeed from the relevant period!  I'm sure it was heard of to buy foreign rings in England at that time, but I'd love to think that this ring could be the key to discovering where my ancestors went on their travels.

A thought - do you think it could be Scottish?  If so that would implode my line of thinking as they were a Scottish family!!

Willow, many thanks for the links... I think I'll try to find a jeweller for some more info... hopefully they won't charge too much!

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 February 09 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Scotland had their Hallmarks as well as Ireland,I'm not to sure about Wales.......
Try a small Jewellry shop one which has a good display of second hand gold.

Offline seekernz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 April 17 07:26 BST (UK) »
 A very informative site.  Antique jewellery university.

http://www.langantiques.com/university/Category:Victorian_Jewelry

in the absence of detailed hallmarks the style of faceting in the gems gives a historical hint, your grannies diamond lacks the dazzle of todays gems because the cutters developed a new pattern of facets to reflect more light through the top surface , same gem but more bang for your bucks!.
Shields/Hogan.Mangawhai
Stanley/Roberts/Larkham-Larkkom-Larkkon-Larkom. of staffordshire/Warwickshire.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 April 17 15:06 BST (UK) »
I would take it into an auctioneers who will also give you an estimate of the value, gold isn't as well marked as silver & you're under no obligation to sell the item.

Skoosh.