Author Topic: Tracing Armagh ancestors early 1800's - Carrick/Robinson  (Read 13633 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Tracing Armagh ancestors early 1800's - Carrick/Robinson
« on: Wednesday 18 February 09 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if there are any records online to trace ancestors in Armagh born this early? I have James Todd Carrick born c1799 and his wife Isabella Robinson born c1809. I know nothing of James' origins but Isabella's parents were Richard Robinson and Sophia Ruddle Todd. They lived near the Portadown area. James and Isabella and their children migrated to Australia in 1847.
Can anyone help?
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Armagh ancestors early 1800's - Carrick/Robinson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Kells,
       As you thought sources are difficult this far back but as CARRICK is a fairly unusual name I had a look in the Flax Growers Register of 1796 and found a Verner Carrick in the parish of Mullaghbrack. I am not familiar with Armagh parishes but others will be.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I too am not familiar with the parishes but it could be a possibility.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 10:15 GMT (UK) »
In your post on another thread (which is locked) you were looking for a farm called Devinney, near Portadown. Devinney (or Diviny) is not a farm it’s a townland, in the parish of Drumcree. A townland is the smallest geographical division of land in Ireland.

In the 1901 census there were 13 families living in Diviny, including 2 households with Robinsons in:

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Breagh/Diviny/1031042/

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Breagh/Diviny/1031045/

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Elwyn,

That is great information, about Devinney being a townland which I've never heard of, and that Robinsons continued to live there, no doubt they would have some sort of family connection. One of the Robinsons that came to Australia called their farm "Devinney" , hence the assumption.

Never heard of a post being locked, I must have exceeded my quota! Pity as my most recent one was much more informative and I had hoped it would give me a better response.

Thanks,

Kells.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Kells,

I looked in Griffiths Valuation (c 1864) and I can see Richard Robinson, Sophia Robinson and Hugh Robinson all renting properties in Diviny. You can see the properties on a contemporary map.  You need to match the property numbers in the Griffiths pages eg 8A to the numbers on the map, within the correct townland. It's a bit fiddly to work with but with patience you'll find them.

www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

Re townlands, street names and house numbers are a very recent thing in Ireland. In the past, your townland was what identified where you lived. The fact that 20 or 30 other families lived there wasn't a problem. Everyone knew who lived where, a letter would be delivered based on the townland and persons name alone, and a more detailed address wasn't required. Some farms did have names but many did not, and when asked where you came from, if you were from a rural area you just gave your townland (as your ancestor clearly did).

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
     Elwyn has described the townland system. Another means of giving a location where someone lived was the parish. A parish would be made up of a number of townlands and was more recognisable than the townland itself when away from the home area.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 11:52 GMT (UK) »
It's not a matter of having a 'quota' but duplicate posts looking for the same information causes needless confusion for those trying to help. Here's the information you posted on a new thread today-
Can anyone help with this family?

Isabella Robinson born c1809, possibly a daughter of Richard or Thomas Robinson and Sophia Ruddell Todd, who also had a son Benjamin c1821. Isabella and Benjamin both came to South Australia.

Isabella married James Todd Carrick before 1830, he was born c1799. Children were David c1830, William c1830, James Todd c1831, Sophia c1837, Benjamin c1841, Jane Todd c1841, Charles Todd c1843, and Richard born in South Australia in 1848. The family emigrated in 1847 to South Australia on the "Competitor".

Unfortunately I don't know a parish but believe the Robinsons to have lived somewhere near Portadown on a farm called Devinney. I wonder if there is any connection with Sophia to James Ruddell Todd born 1783 in Seagoe parish who became a British MP?

I believe James Todd Carrick had siblings Elizabeth, who married William Dawson, and Charles Lynd Todd Carrick, and their parents might have been William Carrick and Sophia Todd. The place Richmount has been connected to them.

If anyone can help in any way I would be very grateful.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 August 12 11:20 BST (UK) »
This was intended to be an updated post with additional information to try to progress further and highlight the interconnectedness between the families. No confusion intended.