Author Topic: Tracing Armagh ancestors early 1800's - Carrick/Robinson  (Read 13671 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Armagh ancestors early 1800's - Carrick/Robinson
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 January 16 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Oops here is the other bit
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 January 16 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Your research sounds solid.

Those double last names are tricky and can come about in a number of ways.

Mary Robinson's husband was John Walker Redmond but his father was Abraham Walker and he seems to have taken the name Redmond on because his mother had no surviving brothers. Mary took on the double last name as did all their children. Except one son married a Walker cousin and they seem to have become Redmond Walkers instead of Walker Redmonds. Maybe he got an inheritance from an uncle or an in-law.

Their daughter Sophia Walker Redmond's married name was Clendinning if you want to check out her will referencing Ruddell Todd.

I'm not related to any of these families that I know of. They interconnect with several lines who married into my extended family. My database has lots of Robinson, Ruddell, and Todd branches in Armagh and just a couple Carrick branches. It's always nice to link them up.

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 28 January 16 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

The names are confusing but it makes sense, as in your Walker Redmond analogy, that the idea of inheritance may have been some factor in this.

I don't see the will for Sophia on PRONI, is it available elsewhere?

I appreciate your input to this thread, many thanks.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 January 16 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I don't see the will for Sophia on PRONI, is it available elsewhere?

It is in PRONI's Will Extracts-
Probate of the Will of Sophia Clendinning late of Maynooth, Co. Armagh, widow, who died 6 July 1918 granted at Armagh to Thomas Henry Hardy, Richhill, justice of the peace and David Walker Redmond, 48 Hopefield Avenue, Belfast, Co. Antrim, bank official. Effects: £2448 8s 4d. Effects re-sworn to £3732 8s 4d on 10 October 1918.

You can click on 'image' to see the wording (5 pages)-
http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 January 16 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, got it!

Offline SpyderOne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 March 17 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kells

I have found the mystery man in the photo, he is not Frederick Robinson but he is Major General Charles George Gordon CB, also known as Gordon of Khartoum, if you follow this link: http://angloboerwarmuseum.com/Boer91jj_jugs_doulton.html and scroll down the page you can find the colour version of the picture. Maybe he is a relation of yours on another line. The uniform he is wearing is Egyptian. I haven't been in contact with you personally for a while, family history being neglected.

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 March 17 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Goodness me, how interesting! Well that at least puts a stop to the wonder about which family member is he!

It looks as though from the article that portraits were well distributed so I won't assume a family link.

What a find! Thanks  :)

Offline Zwood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 May 20 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Unsure if this will get a reply three years after the last post. But I am from Australia and seem to have roots to the Carrick/Robinson/Todds. Specifically James Todd Carrick and Sophia Robinson (formerly Ruddell Todd). I have made the connection that Sophia's brother is James Ruddell Todd a British MP who was the director of the South Australian Company. But I was wondering if there may be any link to Sir Charles Todd, who was responsible for building the first telegraph line across Australia?  It notes on wikipedia that his parents werea  Griffith Todd and Mary Parker, but I can't seem to make a connection to any of the Carrick/Robinson/Todds.

Any ideas?