Author Topic: Water Works  (Read 10234 times)

Offline lindy46

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Water Works
« on: Thursday 19 February 09 13:23 GMT (UK) »
It would appear that my Gr Grandad worked as an Assistant Water Works Manager somewhere in Durham. His name was Thomas Percival Lindsay who was born in 1862 in Houghton Le Spring - married a Sarah Cleminson in 1884 and I think died in 1906. I would like to know where the water works was and if it still exists today.  I would appeciate any information.
Thanks
Angela
Lindsay, Cleminson, Vannen, Headly, Wall, Smith, Knight, Forster, Hearing, Watson, Winship, Wood, Gray, Curry, Shields, Young, Wilkinson, Johnson, Rodham, Allison, Kirkby, Moore(s), Gregory, Ellison, Wilkes, Cowin, Quine, Connor, Cannell, Crow, Corlett, Crain, Ormerod, Higham, Dootson, Christian, Vaughan, Caine, Curghey, Gigg, Trunfull.

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Water Works
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 February 09 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Whellan's 'History, Directory and Topography of the County of Durham, 1894' says that  Houghton-le-Spring Waterworks was established in 1866 using water that was pumped from the nearby Houghton Colliery.  The First Edition OS map for the area shows two reservoirs and a group of four cottages at Houghton Hill in an area that was later subject to much quarrying and is now the site of a large landfill site located to the west of the A690 road.

The water supply for the area was later taken over by the Sunderland & South Shields Water Company which later became North East Water and is now part of Northumbrian Water.

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 February 09 14:09 GMT (UK) »
In the 1901 Census he was a Water Works Inspector living in 3 Oxford Terrace Bishop Aukland. He was born in 1862 and did die in 1906

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 February 09 14:39 GMT (UK) »
The water supply of the town and district of Aukland was by the Bishop Aukland Company formed under the Local Board. The works were situated on the south bank of the river below Townhead. There was also the Weardale and Shildon District Waterworks Company, which was a large organisation. If he worked for the Company, then it amalgamated with the  Consett Water Company in 1902, and became the Weardale and Consett Water Company.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 February 09 18:20 GMT (UK) »
In the 1881 Census Thomas is listed as Thomas O Lindsay, living at 7 Regent Street, Bishop Auckland, occupation 'Surveyor'.  His parents are Robert and Dorothy, Robert is listed as an 'Engineer and Surveyor'.

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline lindy46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 February 09 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

Thankyou Wearsider and Stanmapstone for the information you have given me. I know in this game one shouldn't make assumptions but as Thomas lived in Bishop Aukland  do you think he worked at the Bishop Aukland Water Works and did he die in Situ? It is also sad to see that Thomas died before either of his parents. I wonder where all the staff records of the Water Works have gone as I can remember an Aunty saying she had visited her Grandfather at the Water Works and completing a visitors book but did not disclose which one. Her father a chemist was born in Bishop Aukland as was my Mum and her siblings.
Thanks for any help
Angela
Lindsay, Cleminson, Vannen, Headly, Wall, Smith, Knight, Forster, Hearing, Watson, Winship, Wood, Gray, Curry, Shields, Young, Wilkinson, Johnson, Rodham, Allison, Kirkby, Moore(s), Gregory, Ellison, Wilkes, Cowin, Quine, Connor, Cannell, Crow, Corlett, Crain, Ormerod, Higham, Dootson, Christian, Vaughan, Caine, Curghey, Gigg, Trunfull.

Offline Jolly Roger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 February 09 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Well I would get thomas death certificate and see if you can glean anything from that.

Deaths Jun 1906   
Lindsay  Thomas Percival  44  Auckland  10a 124

JR

Lowson, Hodgson, Dent, Townson, Simpson, Brown, Bruce, and many more.

Offline lindy46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 February 09 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks  JR for the details - have sent off for cert today.
Angela

Offline lindy46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 March 09 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,
I have received death certs from Durham Registrars, who I might add are very efficient and helpful, and have discovered that Robert Lindsay who died in 1915 also worked at a Water Works and he was the Water Works Manager where as Thomas Percival died in 1906 from cancer was the assistant Water Works Manager - I do not know if they worked together. Would it be worth writing to the local museum to see if there are any records available on employees of the local water companies?? or does any one out there have any records that could assist me in finding which water company they both worked for.
Thanks for any help
Angela