Author Topic: John Butler McCabe b. 1848  (Read 11014 times)

Offline jeffreyjoecarroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Butler McCabe b. 1848
« on: Thursday 19 February 09 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information about John Butler? McCabe, b. c1848 Kilkenny to John Lachlan? McCabe (1785-1879) & Ellen or Helena Butler (?-1853).

I believe John jnr had a brother Thomas born a couple of years either side of John.

John snr came to Australia, possibly in 1860 on board 'Tudor' along with children, John, Thomas & Bridget.

Any information appreciated,
Jeff Carroll
Sydney Australia

Offline Wayne100

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: John Butler McCabe b. 1848
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 January 11 00:10 GMT (UK) »
John Butler McCabe m Jane nee McGuigan Kempsey c 1870. At time of Jane's death 1905 there were 9 children living and 7 dead. Eldest son John born c 1871, Thomas c 1873. Living Summer Island Macleay River NSW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 January 11 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wayne100,

I've done a fair amount of research since this post and have uncovered quite a bit of info on John Butler McCABE. Our connection with him is through his 2nd marriage to Mary Magdaline McCABE. He married Mary on 10th August 1905, only 5 months after Jane died.

I'm still trying to locate additional information about John's parents and siblings. I think a connection has been made with a fellow rooschatter in Ireland.....still working on it.

There are so many John's and Thomas' in the family!!!

Best,
Jeff

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 November 11 08:22 GMT (UK) »
John Butler McCabe is in my family tree ::)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 November 11 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chinka,

I would be interested to hear of any information on John Butler McCabe's ancestry if you have details. I hit brick walls with his after his parents. I have some details on him and the family once in Australia.

Regards,
Jeff

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 10:33 GMT (UK) »

Hi Jeff,

My Grt grandfather was Thomas Charles McCabe his brother what is your interest in our family.I am a

McCabe are you related to us . I live on nth coast nsw AUSTRALIA

Chinka

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chinka,

I've found the McCabe family quite confusing. Was your Thomas McCABE born c1849, to John & Hilda? McCABE, arrived in Australia on board 'Tudor', married Harriett JARRETT and died 1925.

I am related directly to both this Thomas AND his brother John due to an unusual marriage.

There are a few McCabe families at the same time with John's and Thomas's which are completely different. I have gone down incorrect paths a couple of times in my research. I have both John & Thomas's death certificates, however they contradict their mothers' name. Both say BUTLER, however one lists her as Hilda, the other Helena. I would like to either confirm (or rule out) their relationship once and for all.

I would love to find out more about the Irish side of the family if you have any information.

Jeff

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »

Hello Jeff,

According to family tree their mother is Ellen Butler I dont have much info from Ireland John came to

Australia with younger family older children were here earlier Patrick came with his wife Ann nee Brennan

Johanna & Ellen and two children in1853 .John & Thomas were brothers.Mary Magdalene was my grand   

fathers sister her daughter Nellie was my fathers 1st cousin . YOU are right this doesnt make sense but it is

the same family I have checked it out. Nellies husband Gus is in my mothers family tree. We are related.

Have got some info and some photos.

Chinka

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 02:05 GMT (UK) »
 :)

I'm with you Chinka. I understand the relationships and how they work out. I believe you are referring to Mary Ellen & Augustus when you say Nellie & Gus.

I have limited photos but a little bit of history that you may/may not have. I shall PM you in the next couple of days as the details from here on are of a rather personal nature and add no benefit this particular post.

Regards,
Jeff