Author Topic: Hardie, Stewart, Arklay Family 1800's  (Read 18804 times)

Offline peterjohnk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hardie, Stewart, Arklay Family 1800's
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 March 16 06:53 BST (UK) »
i have our family tree, peter hardie  death 1915, was my gggrandfather, however we have no information on his father and beyond any help would be appreciated.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 31 March 16 11:16 BST (UK) »
The critical question is did your Peter Hardie die in Scotland?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline peterjohnk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 March 16 12:41 BST (UK) »
peter hardie born 1876, mains forar, scotland.
death 22 august 1915, is my gggrandfather.
I am trying to find information on his parents Peter Hardie 1847-1885 and Elizabeth Stewart HARDIE.(ARKLAY) and yes he died in scotland not sure where.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 31 March 16 18:41 BST (UK) »
Peter Hardie and Elisabeth Arklay were married in Dundee on 1 August 1873.

If you go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (SP) and invest in 30 credits for £7, you can use one credit to find and five to view and download the marriage certificate. This will tell you the full names of the couple's parents, and is the starting point for finding them in the census and in earlier baptism records.

The SP index lists no death of a Peter Hardie or Hardy in 1915. It does list two in 1916, neither of whom was born in 1876 plus or minus 5 years. There are, in total, deaths of 9 Peter Hardies born in 1876 plus or minus 5 years. You can use the rest of your credits looking at four of these certificates to see which one is yours.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jeffreyjoecarroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 April 16 03:14 BST (UK) »
Howdy,
"peter hardie born 1876, mains forar, scotland.
death 22 august 1915, is my gggrandfather.
I am trying to find information on his parents Peter Hardie 1847-1885 and Elizabeth Stewart HARDIE.(ARKLAY) and yes he died in scotland not sure where".

I feel sure Peter Hardie b. 1876 to Peter & Elizabeth Stewart Hardie (nee Arklay) came to Australia with his parents in 1878. He's listed on Elizabeth's death certificate in 1883. Peter Snr died in a mining accident in Kiama in 1885. Peter jnr died on 28/8/1915 in Gallipoli. His service record is available as I purchased it.

Offline rhoney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 April 16 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi  All,
Elizabeth Hardie (Arkley) was the sister of my G/Grandmother Euphemia Arkley B.1850 who came to Balmain, Australia in 1877.
Elizabeth B.1852 Forfar Scotland. and Peter B. 26 Jul 1847 Auchterhouse, Forfarshire came to Brisbane, Qld as free settlers on 24 Jun 1878 Aboard the ship Nairmshire, with children Margaret aged 4  and Peter aged 1 year.
Elizabeth's Mother was Margaret Stewart born 20 Oct 1824 Perthshire died 29 Nov 1901 Dundee. Her Father was David Arkley born  24 Mar 1828 forfar died 24 Mar 1828 Lochee, Dundee. I can go back further if you want as Arkley is my line of history.
As far as I know Peter's Father was Peter Hardie born Abt. 1826 Scotland and died 1898 his Mother was Catherine Whyte born 22 Oct 1827 Airlie, Angus died 1875 Scotland they married  20 May 1849 Airlie, Angus.
I have nothing more on the Hardie side except daughter Margaret Hardie 1873-1951 married William Evans 1875-1929 and had 2 children and they lived in Balmain NSW though she died in Wyong.
Hope this helps   

Offline MKRD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 December 16 17:58 GMT (UK) »
My be a long shot (I'm a Hardie) but my line traces back to Glasgow then to Northern Ireland. The surname adapted from Hargy / Hargey to Hardie when they moved to Scotland.
Hardie, Hargy, Robertson, Vaux, Douthart, Hargie, Farrell

Offline JazzyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 22 October 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I have just joined this site and very interested in Hardie, Stewart Arklay Family. My Great Grandmother was Euphemia Abbot from Forfashire. The spelling of her surname we have was Arkley. She resided in Balmain following her marriage to my Great Grandfather who was a Civil War Veteran. Any information regarding Euphemia would be greatly appreciated.  I believe she left a child, possibly named Jane, in Forfashire when she came to Australia.

Looking forward to your replies,

Cheers,
Gayle

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 22 October 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I have just joined this site and very interested in Hardie, Stewart Arklay Family. My Great Grandmother was Euphemia Abbot from Forfashire. The spelling of her surname we have was Arkley. She resided in Balmain following her marriage to my Great Grandfather who was a Civil War Veteran. Any information regarding Euphemia would be greatly appreciated.  I believe she left a child, possibly named Jane, in Forfashire when she came to Australia.

Just for clarification, was Arkley her maiden name and Abbot her married surname? When did she go to Australia and when did she marry? And which Civil War are you referring to?