Author Topic: Hardie, Stewart, Arklay Family 1800's  (Read 18805 times)

Offline leekay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hardie, Stewart, Arklay Family 1800's
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeff, You are right about David Arklay's parents being James Arklay and Mary Hunter. They are mentioned on his death certificate,April 20,1904.      Sharon Dupre

Offline jeffreyjoecarroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sharon!!!! I had moved on from this branch for a while but was only looking into it again over the Christmas break.......thinking I must try to solve it one way or another for good.

I would be very interested if the certificate lists all David's children & if he married more than once.

Best regards,
Jeff

Offline leekay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 22:10 GMT (UK) »
David Arklay,born March 24,1828. He was married only once to Margaret Stewart on 10 Dec.1848. They had 6 children. I believe the oldest three and the second youngest emigrated to Australia in the 1870's.Elizabeth Hardie in 1878 and her two siblings David Arklay and Euphemia Abbot,a widow, on the 5 Dec.1877 on the Pericles. Euphemia left behind her 3 year old daughter,Jane Abbot  with her parents for at least 14 years .I don't know what happened to Jane Abbot after that.(b.1874).Her father ,David Abbot had drowned while at sea. I believe the son John also emigrated but I don't have that date on hand. Their youngest son Stewart Arklay remained in Dundee for a while at least . His mother died at his house and 3 years later Stewart was a witness to David Arklays death in a nursing home.  The other child ,Jane Arklay married David High,a marble and stone cutter and sculptor. She died young at 35 after giving birth to twins in Mar.1892 and her husband died on Feb.26,1899. By the census in 1901,her youngest 4 children were living in an orphanage.Their oldest sister was my great grandmother,Margaret Stewart High. Her daughter ,my grandmother,another Margaret Stewart High b.Feb.3,1898 was living with the Arklays at the age of three on the 1901 census.I have copies of their death certificates.(1901 and 1904) .I have some marriage and birth certificates for John Stewart  Arklay in Australia and also for his sister Euphemia Abbot.. It looks like she remarried twice and had more children. Let me know what part of this family you are connected to. By the way ,David Arklay's death cert. says his parents are David Arklay and Mary Hunter but his birth cert.says they are James Arklay and Mary Hunter.     Sharon

Offline leekay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeff, Jane Arklay High was named Jean Hepburn Arklay on her b.cert and all these names are on her death cert. also.  Sharon

Offline leekay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeff,I made an error. It was James on the birth certificate and David on the death certificate.Isn't the birth certificate more likely to be correct? Or could there have been two David Arklay's born in the 1820's? There is no list of children that I have seen except on the census. Sharon

Offline jeffreyjoecarroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sharon. I shall dig out my file and digest what you have written. Shall put it together and come back to you.....give me a couple of days as I am away from home just at present.

I would think the birth cert would be correct....people can & do go by different names however and it may turn out that it is the same chap on the death certificate - I've come across this countless times and sometimes it is ok and sometimes it's a differnt family. It's frustrating at times.

David Arklay & Margarte Stewart are my GGGG grandparents, along with Peter Hardie and Catherine Whyte. Their respective children Elizabeth Stewart Arklay and Peter Hardie (jnr) married in 1873 and came to Australia in 1878.

I shall get back to you!
Jeff

Offline thebobster

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 September 13 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Gwen,
My name is Robert Walker.
Can it be possible that you are the same Gwen Arklay that I knew in Farnborough when the world was young ?

Robert T. J. Walker

Offline Christopher Cornwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert

I was Gwen Arklay's neighbour in Cove before she moved to Australia. If you get a reply from her, please tell I have photographs of her at an early age with me, Chris Cornwell.

Offline rhoney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 May 15 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeff
Have just joined Rootschat.com and saw your posts re: Arkley's back in 2009. I don't know if you are still looking into this Family as my GGGrandmother,  Euphemia Arkley was Elizabeth Stewart Arkley's (1852-1912 who married Peter Hardie ) sister. She came to Sydney,Australia on the Pericles in 1877. Have not read all the posts so far on Arkley's  but if I can share (or gain) anymore information on this family that would be great. PS Their brother David came out on the Pericles as well but I have been unable to find information after his landing.