Author Topic: Hardie, Stewart, Arklay Family 1800's  (Read 18910 times)

Offline JazzyG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hardie, Stewart, Arklay Family 1800's
« Reply #27 on: Monday 23 October 17 05:32 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Yes Arkley was her maiden name and Abbot was her married name.  She arrived in Australia  approx. 1877 and married again almost a year later, in August 1878, to Pliny William Wise, my GGrandfather. She was the widow of a crew member of the whaling ship “Eric” out of Dundee, Scotland, David Abbott, who had drowned in Baffin’s Bay, Greenland in 1876. They made their home at Balmain, Australia and raised five children; David Arkley born in 1879, Elizabeth Hardy born in 1881, Helen Stewart born in 1884, Pliny William born in 1887 and George born in 1889. In 1903 Wise applied for a military pension, but unfortunately died before he could take advantage of it. Pliny William Wise died on April 2, 1904 of “phthisis”, before receiving his first pension check. His wife however, received a widow’s pension until her death in February 1926. Pliny William Wise was buried in the Old Presbyterian Section, Field of Mars Cemetery in Ryde, New South Wales. My GGrandfather was born in Rhode Island and of African/American heritage. He enlisted in the civil war in 1862 for 1 year. Civil War Veterans in Australia (Google), his information is listed there.

Cheers,
Gayle

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 23 October 17 07:50 BST (UK) »
Euphemia Arkley married David Abbott in Dundee in 1871.

Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, buy a few credits at modest cost, and use 6 of them to view the marriage certificate. This will tell you the date and place of the marriage, the couple's ages, occupations and places of residence, and the full names of both their parents including their mothers' maiden surnames.

This information will help you to find and view the 1871 census, which will tell you where they were born. The index lists a 21-year-old Euphemia Arklay in Dundee in 1871 who is probably yours, and 25-year-old David Abbot in the Merchant Navy return.

Their daughter Jane was born in Dundee on 8 February 1874, but I have not found her in the index to the 1881 census, or in the deaths indexes.

Note that Forfarshire is a name formerly used to refer to the County of Angus.

Phthisis is usually what these days would be called tuberculosis.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JazzyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 23 October 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information you have provided.  I will  certainly follow it up. Very interesting regarding their daughter Jane. Family members told me my GGrandmother Euphemia always intended to send for her however it never happened. This may have been a cost factor or perhaps she could not locate her.

Once again thank you for the info.

Cheers,
Gayle

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 23 October 17 13:24 BST (UK) »
I think you will probably find that Euphemia's parents were David Arklay and Margaret Stewart, but that you will not find her birth or baptism record.

I have got Jane in the 1881 census. At 52 Ure Street, parish of Liff and Benvie*, were David Arklay, 52, Jute weaver, born Forfar, Angus; Margaret Arklay, 55, born Inchture, Perthshire; John Arklay, son, 21, born Dundee; Stewart Arklay, 15, grocer's shop boy, born Dundee; Jane Abbot, granddaughter, 7, born Dundee.

*Liff and Benvie is the neighbouring parish to the parish of Dundee. The city of Dundee had spread out to cover quite a lot of the parish of Liff and Benvie by 1881.

The index shows Margaret Arklay, 64, and Jane Abbot, 17, both at the same address in Dundee in 1891. In 1901 Margaret Arklay, 75, and Jane Abbot, 26, are both in Dundee, but not at the same address. Neither is there in 1911.

A David Arklay, 75, died in Lochee (another neighbouring parish largely taken into the city) in 1904 and Margaret Arklay or Stewart, 75, died in Dundee in 1901. Their death certificates should tell you the names of their parents, including mothers' maiden surnames.

Jane may have married or emigrated. There is a possible death of a Jane Abbot, or Welsh, 66, in Glasgow in 1942, but I think this is Jane Welsh, wife of Peter Abbot.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gjazzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hi All, Unfortunately I have not accessed this site for a number of years. Arklay, Stewart and Hardie are all names associated with my Great Grandmother, Euphemia Abbot (Arklay) who lived in Forfashire Scotland before she came to Australia and married my Great Grandfather, Pliny Wise and they resided in Balmain NSW.

Any info on Euphemia or Pliny would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Gayle Wise

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 19:59 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I have not accessed this site for a number of years

Hi Gayle, If I knew which was your other profile I can help you connect with your other profile.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gjazzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 31 March 23 14:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you. My profile was JazzyG

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 31 March 23 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Gayle,

Your other profile only had 3 posts on this topic, you may as well just carry on with this profile ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk