Author Topic: Robert Riddell  (Read 4633 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Robert Riddell
« on: Saturday 21 February 09 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello can anyone help me with Robert Riddell or Riddle,I have a marriage certificate for his son John who married in Northallerton,but returned to North Shields,1851 census.
Robert Riddell was a papermaker if I have read the marriage cert correctly living in North Shields at the time of his sons birth,in 1826,I havnt found a definate birth for John as it is pre registration,any details for Robert would be nice,Regards Gillian
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Riddell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 February 09 14:28 GMT (UK) »
A marriage cert wont say where the grooms father was living at the time of sons birth ....

What date is the marriage?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 February 09 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Sorry place of birth for John was North shields and census states North Shields ,marriage was November 4th 1850 Northallerton,fathere name Robert Riddell ,thankyou
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 February 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
This post links to
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=361776.0;num_replies=3
Saves duplication of effort!    We really need to find John and Robert in 1841 I think.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 February 09 19:24 GMT (UK) »
There is an 1841 entry for John Reddell.  HO 107 826/4/14 20 in Stephenson Street Tynemouth.   (Some of my ancestors lived there too!)
Ann Watson age 30 Widow
John Reddell age 15 Tailors apprentice
Jane Reddell 7  all born in county

Looking at the image it could be Riddell and in any case spellings varies so much.  Ages above 15 were usually rounded down to the nearest 5 in 1841 but 15 fits with his age in later census anyway.  Wonder if Ann was a sister perhaps?  That is just a guess though as relationships are not given.  I would be fairly cerian that Jane was a sister though so maybe the parenst are dead?  Or Ann is the mother of both of them - if she was actually aged 34 she could be.     All supposition though so we need some facts!
Andrea

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 February 09 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andrea somewhere in the mountain of notes I have someone else in Stephenson Street,cheers Gillian

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 February 09 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian,

Tynemouth BTs are on family search pilot site - literally thousands of pages but broken down into 5 year blocks thank goodness.

I checked out 1826/7/8 but could not see John Riddell baptism - maybe he's in 1825.  There are three other Riddell men having children baptised at that time - George, James and Joseph.  Could be they are related to Robert.

Christine

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 February 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine I found a Robert Riddell and Mary Rutledge married Birtley 30th October 1821, 1841 census Kirkwhelpington
Robert 40
Mary Ann 35
James 11
Robert 10
John 8
George 5
Elizabeth 2
on familysearch in the same place RC church there is a Roberti Riddell and Maria and I thought this strange as the Riddells werent European were they, this would make Johns age at marriage 18 not 24, strange family Ihave got, Gillian

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 February 09 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian

First, Kirkwhelpington is quite close to Morpeth and, as I've said on other posts, there are loads of Riddells in that area so this one is not guaranteed to be yours.

Married Birtley - the only Birtley I know of is in County Durham.  Does the '41 census say born in county or not?

RC church records - the priest always turned the English name into Latin hence Roberti and Maria instead of Robert and Mary.

Christine