Author Topic: Robert Riddell  (Read 4634 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Riddell
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 February 09 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Me again,

Just been on to genuki and there is a Birtley in Northumberland.  Not many places around here I've never heard of but this is obviously one of them!

Christine

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 February 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Radcliff,

The 1841 census rounds down the ages of those over 15 to multiples of 5 so Robert stated as 40 could be up to 44 yrs old, Mary Ann anywhere from 35-39.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 February 09 15:21 GMT (UK) »
There may be a small connection between Ann Watson  in the 1841 census as in 1893 the family are back in Stephenson Street,well Johns grandchildren by his son Charles are,so now I need to find who this Ann Watson was to the children John and Jane ,Aunt ,mother or older sister or just someone who the children boarded with,I will have another go,Gillian
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 March 09 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Ann Riddell married Thomas Watson in Tynemouth March 1839,Thomas has possibly died in Tynemouth March 1841,so I do think the Ann Watson was the mother of John and Jane Reddall in the 1841 census living Stephenson Street,but I still cant find her first marriage to Robert Riddle /Riddell papermaker,can anyone further my research,many thanks Gillian
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 March 09 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Gillian
don't know if this is any help to you or not but there is a marriage on the IGI of a Robert Riddle/Ann English 26 November 1831 at Corsenside which is on the A68 south of Otterburn.

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 March 09 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Steve,Ann and Robert match but Johns age doesnt,unless he lied when he married,as this would have made him only 19 in 1850 not 24 as he states,I am having a hard time putting things together,if Ann English was then Riddell then Ann Watson in the 1841 census would her marriage cert to Watson give this information,or was John illigitamate,I was supposed to be in the North East yesterday,but it was snowing in Furness so didnt set out,Gillian

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 March 09 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Gillian
If Ann married after September 1837 the cert would probably only state she was a widow,but any subsequent children born would have her previous married name and her maiden name.The Riddle/English marriage i mentioned is probably not yours but worth keeping a note of.

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 March 09 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Steve I am keeping an open mind on that one as I still cant find a John Riddle born North Shields to a Robert Riddle or Riddell between 1822 and 1826.I am sure it will turn up sooner or later, thanks again Gillian

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 March 09 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael,
 I managed to get to North Shields and Tynemouth on Wednesday,I bought the marriage certificate for Ann Riddell who married Thomas Watson mariner, in Tynemouth 1839 her father was Thomas Riddell a trimmer,so the children John and Jane must belong to someone else in the family,the marriage cert doesnt give a address just says of this parish,Tynemouth,Iam 99% certain this is the John I am looking for maybe I am wrong but something tells me to pursue this line, so I am on the trail of Thomas to see who he married and where and if he had a child called Robert,Regards Gillian