Author Topic: CHILDS of Melbury Osmond  (Read 17981 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: CHILDS of Melbury Osmond
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Wonderful to make the connection with you, your gentleman friend is a distant cousin to me!

I know little of his Samuel born 1809, but have information that his wife was named Sarah Chapman and the marriage was registered in Beaminster in the September quarter of 1837. I have not documented my sources very well but assume I took this from the FreeBMD website which has only one marriage for a Samuel Childs in Dorset and this is the one! So if this is correct a marriage certificate could then be obtained - the number is Vol 8 Page 11.

I do hope this helps. I'd be happy to make further contact if this man is interested, if you send me a personal message I can pass on my email. I have contact with other descendants also who have shared information with me.

Best wishes,

Kelly.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelly

Many thanks for the info. When we first started on his tree,he wasn't that bothered about the Childs(his mum's side) and already knew the distant link to Thomas Hardy,but maybe now we've done his dad's side he might wish to take the Childs farther back.

I'll let you know  ;D

Thanks again

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipchild

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am researching the Child family from Shaftesbury/Gillingham/Bourton and I was wondering whether they are at all connected to the Melbury Osmond Childs. I don't currently have any evidence for this, only the clues that there seem to have been a large number of Childs in Bourton around the time there were also Child family, which may be a coincidence or may be that the names were interchangeable during the 1700s. The other reason for me to suspect a link is due to a fellow researcher mentioning that my Child family were in some way related to Thomas Hardy. Or course this may be untrue or just speculation.
Does anyone know of any Childs connections with the Child/Childs of Shaftesbury/Gillingham/Bourton/Silton?

Thanks,

Philip

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 September 11 12:07 BST (UK) »
I am hoping to make contact with Iris again re the Childs of Melbury Osmond. If you can see this, Iris, and would be willing to share more info, I would love to hear from you. I have been tearing my hair out trying to get access to pre 1731 Melbury Osmond parish records without the need to pay high fees for research at Dorset County Council.

Kelly.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 September 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
Iris hasn't been online since Sunday 30 May 10,but she should get notification that you have posted on this thread.Or you could send her a Personal Message of course.

Ancestry have the Dorset Parish records online-does that help?
Not sure how far back they go though.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 September 11 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Carol. She had once offered to send some of her info to me, I was hoping she may still be able to do so. Ancestry have some records, but not the earlier baptisms, marriages or burials I am after. Everything available online doesn't go back far enough, most of it only as far as 1730's, and I need to place my ancestors in earlier Melbury Osmond families.

Kelly.

Offline maz1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 September 11 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelly
I too am following the Melbury Osmond Childs. Its an open project as they are so confusing. In theray mine go back to 1575, as long as Ive got them right - I am willing to send you info, if you'd like to send a private message
all the best
Marian

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 09 September 11 04:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Marian, thank you that would be great  :)

Offline mcam4419

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Kelly,

I am the five times great granddaughter of Lydia Childs, the firstborn daughter of David Childs of Melbury Osmond who was transported to Australia on the Earl Cornwallis as a convict. I, too, have had difficulty working out David's parentage. On my current ancestry.com tree, I've got Joseph married in Axmouth Devon as his father but, like you, couldn't ignore the fact that David is not mentioned in the 1770 will when the other children are.

As the postings on this thread are quite old, I wondered if you ended up uncovering any further information about David's parentage?

I noticed a lot of theorising about whether Samuel and David were connected in any way...It's interesting that Lydia called her second Australian-born son "Samuel" because her first born son was clearly named after her father as he was given the name "David Childs Barber."

I also wasn't able to trace David's wife Mary Wellman even though their marriage record states her parish was Melbury Sampford...Perhaps it was a case of her not actually being of the parish since birth but only for the minimum of three weeks prior to the marriage...

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Michaela