Author Topic: CHILDS of Melbury Osmond  (Read 18097 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: CHILDS of Melbury Osmond
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Michaela,

It is nice to hear from you. I had discovered that Lydia came to Australia as a convict but haven't yet followed her story.

I haven't found anything further on the lineage of David Childs since this thread began, and nothing to tie him to Samuel. I think I may have found the birth record for Samuel in Yetminster, but as the given name on the baptism is hard to read I can only be 98% sure I am on the right track. I think he is the son of Samuel Childs who married Elizabeth Mose 6 Feb 1734/35 in Yetminster (the groom being of Melbury Osmond). I have more notes on this which I will look for.

I am also struggling to place Mary Wellman but there is a considerable family of them in Melbury Sampford who must be related. I wondered if she might slot into the family of William Wellman and Mary nee Orchard (married 13/8/1744 in Melbury Osmond). This William was a son of Alexander and Joan Wellman. Without a baptism for Mary (looking at c1735-1745) I am stuck there.

I will send you a personal message with my email address if you'd like to contact me further.

Cheers,

Kelly.

Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline mcam4419

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Kells!

Great to hear back from you  :)

Yes, William Wellman and Mary Orchard definitely seem like a good fit for Mary Wellman's parents, since she was of the parish Melbury Sampford. The date of their marriage aligns with the time I roughly estimated that Mary Wellman would have likely been born if, say, her marriage to David Childs happened when she was around 18 or 20.

Alternatively, I was looking tonight on the OPC Askerswell page and found that there was a high concentration of Wellmans there, including one 'Mary Wellman' christened 30 June 1746. Her parents' names were Robert and Margaret. I found that result by doing a search on the LDS Family Search. But, compared to the Wellman/Orchard theory this Askerswell theory is a longshot as I have no evidence to link Mary Wellman who married at Melbury Sampford with the Mary Wellman born at Askerswell...I wish there were records going back further. The Dorset OPC website is so amazing in terms of how accessible it makes the info that when you do finally get stuck it is very frustrating!

Another possibility is "Mary Welman" born to Elias Welman and Mary Welman, baptised 18 February 1740 at St Mary's Beaminster, Dorset. I've only just found that result, though, so I haven't looked into it any further other than to check the distance from Beaminster to Melbury Sampford on google maps. I got that result from the LDS search, too. When I went to check it on the Dorset OPC page for Beaminster, the transcriptions were wrong every time for that family; sometimes written as Wellin, Nellman and Wolman (with a ? typed after it).

Private message received! Thank you! I'll send you my email address too. Seems like we might have gone about as far as we can go with David Childs, though, unless some earlier records are made available.

Cheers,
Michaela

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 07 June 22 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Kelly, Irsis and Michaela, this is my first message on Rootschat so hopefully this reaches someone. Very interested to learn more about the Childs family. Please let me know if this message is received okay? Many thanks, Kirsten