Author Topic: Duke William PAINE  (Read 14381 times)

Offline AlwaysBusy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duke William PAINE
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 19 October 13 04:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
Yes, that sounds right.  I just found another page amongst my papers that says that, although it says William (1696-1755) was "of Broadwater" and Anne was "of West Tarring".
I don't really get much time to myself to do this sort of thing but let me know if there's ever anything you're looking for in the Paine decendants.
Jenny   :)

Offline Campbell Paine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 14 March 15 10:52 GMT (UK) »
I have just come across this while looking for Ernest Duke Paine.  Duke William Paine was my father (and Jenn is my niece).  I have a fair bit of info including the Australian family tree and copies of the Brighton Herald of June 1853 publishing a letter from Charles Parlett and his wife who travelled to Australia with Duke (sent in by Louis P Paine) and an 1855 West Sussex Gazette publishing in 2 parts a letter from Duke to his parents.  All this was prompted by me opening the cover of 'Sussex Painted by Wilfrid Ball' on which the fly leaf is inscribed 'To Duke William Paine Birchip Australia from Ernest Duke Paine Sumner House, Woodside Road Wothing Sussex England'

Let me know how best to communicate and if you would like copies.

Campbell

Offline jadewing

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Grandma Ella Williams 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 14 March 15 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Campbell.

Lovely to hear from another Paine descendant and welcome to Roots Chat! I would love to swap research with you and I would be very excited to see the letter from Charles and Fanny.  I will send you my contact details, but you must first make three posts to Roots Chat.

I have an Ernest Duke Paine b1872, son of Walter who was Duke William's (1830-1868) younger brother.

I'm away this week but hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers, Jane
DBY:  Walters. DUR: Dorman, Gowland. DVN:  Berry, Gent, Norman, Reed, Spurrell, Watts.  ESX:  Adams.  NBL:  Fenwick,  Jobson.  NFK:  Dewing, Goss, Herring.  SAL:  Bailey, Ball.  SRY:  Wicks.  SSX:  Baker, French, Pelling/Young, Parlett, Paine.  STS:  Bailey, Hanson, Penn, Radford.  YKS:  Dewing.  NI Co Armagh: Sergeant, Bradford. Wales: Williams, Owens.

Offline Campbell Paine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 15 March 15 03:05 GMT (UK) »
A couple of 'small world' bits from Melbourne's 4m plus population.  My elder son Stephen is married to Debbie.  Not long after they started going out he discovered that her best friend from school was Luisa Paine.  Through Lu I have received from her father most of what I have on the Australian family tree.
Then a couple of years ago my wife and I went to a dinner at my golf club.  We were seated at a table with another member and his wife whose guests were Neil Comrie and his wife.  Neil's great great grandfather was Thomas Comrie.  More in the next edition!

Campbell

Offline Campbell Paine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 27 March 15 05:18 GMT (UK) »
A bit more.  After my father died the family discovered his WWI diary.  When he enlisted in 1917 he had started studying law and had taught himself Pitmans shorthand.  Because he had taught himself his Pitmans was 'copperplate' so my sister-in-law could translate the diary and produced a booklet for my step-mother's 70th birthday about Dad's war service with copies for each of the children.  I can give you a copy if you like as I have my late sister's copy.  In it you will see that Dad was repatriated to Bath having been wounded and on his recovery visited 38 Montague Street Worthing 'where he met Edie and Ern, his father's uncle Horace and Miss Paine.'

Offline Campbell Paine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 17 May 15 23:56 BST (UK) »
I promised more about 'Comrie' but it's all been very busy here - moving house soon after 40+ years. Thomas Comrie migrated to Australia in 1854 leaving wife Christina (nee Dingwall) and 3 children behind.  When they followed in 1858 he had disappeared (but she had listed herself on the passenger list as 'spinster'!).  Duke William Paine b. Worthing 31.5.1829 my great great grandfather came to Australia in 1852 to seek fortune on the goldfields.  He married Christina Comrie in 1861. They had 2 children - Duke Edward and William Louis. There is no record of a Comrie divorce but apparently there was a marriage breakdown because a death certificate located for Thomas who died in Liverpool NSW in 1900 states he was not married.   

Offline rosemary5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 05 March 17 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Duke William Paine was the eldest brother of my grandfather, Walter Paine.  I have copies of the letters written from Australia by Duke William and the Parletts which were printed in the local newspapers, (sadly not the originals, now long gone), all of which I have recently transcribed. I also have a wealth of family and local history information as I live in Worthing.  I have been in contact with one of Duke's descendants, now living in Canberra, for a number of years, but would love to hear from any other Paine relatives, especially any living in Australia.  I think I may be the person who supplied jadewing with some information some years ago but was unable to follow up at the time for health reasons.  It would be good to make contact again.

rosemary5

Offline Campbell Paine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 03:52 GMT (UK) »
As you will see from previous posts I have a lot of info on the Australian arm.  Tracing from Duke William Paine (1829-68) who came to Australia, his son Duke Edward Paine (1862-1938) and his son (my father) Duke William Paine (1885-1978).  I have 2 sons and 4 grandchildren.  Duke Edward Paine had a brother William Louis Paine who had 5 children and hence a much bigger family tree.  I was not aware that Walter had any relatives in Australia and in fact the 'Australian' family tree that Ian ((William Louis' grandson) doesn't mention Walter.  In Victoria at least my grandson Freddie Duke is the last of the 'Duke's - since December last year Duke is a banned Christian name.  Let me know if you want any of the info mentioned in my previous posts.

Offline rosemary5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear from you, Campbell.  I recognise your name from a very large family tree of the Australian branch of the Paines which was sent to me by Joanne Paine (from William Louis Paine's line).  Many years ago I inherited a family tree of the Worthing Paines, dating back to 1725.  Worthing is currently the largest town in West Sussex, but back then barely featured on the map as it was just a small coastal hamlet, part of the larger parish of Broadwater.  West Tarring was the neighbouring parish, but when Worthing developed as a seaside resort it gradually swallowed up the surrounding parishes. I  live close to the boundary between West Tarring and Broadwater, and am within walking distance of both churches and of the cemetery where many of the Paines are buried.  My grandfather, Walter Paine (1840-1919) was the 7th of the nine children of Duke Edward (1804-1862). I'll sort out my notes and will be in touch again with more details.