Author Topic: Spooner marriage look up  (Read 20187 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Spooner marriage look up
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 11 March 10 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Les,
No I'm afriad I have no new leads with our Leightons or Spooners but we have two new cousins.  :)

Prasad,
Thanks for the PM. Your logic sounds perfectly logical to me.  ;)
I think I would have come to the same conclusion as you did aboout Jane Ann/Ann. My Peter Spooner was living at High Downs in the 1871 census. When his first wife Hannah died in 1832 her abode was also High Downs, though the family lived at other places in between those years.

Have you located the parish record of Jane/Ann's baptism to see what it says? Although I think around this time less information is provided.

Offline swanandprasad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 11 March 10 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicole,
We have the baptism of Jane Ann and Les is looking for an Ann.

I just see the attachment button here so will have a go at sending a file.
Please let me know if there is anything you Spooners think is private and i will change it,
Prasad
http://treshnishbirdlog.blogspot.com/
Harbison, Harbinson, Summerson, Lowery, Spooner, Gale, Hunter, Blakey, Leighton, Ridley, Durham, Newcastle, Co. Down, McArthur, Urquhart, Sangster, Prior, Aberdeen

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 11 March 10 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Yeah Prasad, could you please take off the bit towards the end with my name and relationship to Elizabeth Spooner + Thanks.  ;)

Offline swanandprasad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 11 March 10 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Ok, done sorry Ruskie!
Harbison, Harbinson, Summerson, Lowery, Spooner, Gale, Hunter, Blakey, Leighton, Ridley, Durham, Newcastle, Co. Down, McArthur, Urquhart, Sangster, Prior, Aberdeen

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 11 March 10 21:46 GMT (UK) »
That's fine - thanks a lot Prasad.  ;)

Offline McTalbert

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 12 March 10 08:54 GMT (UK) »
lesB, Swanandprasad and Ruskie,

Thanks for your personal message. You asked for my information on Adam LEIGHTON.

Ralph SPOONER married Adam’s daughter Susannah LEIGHTON at Earsdon St. Alba on 14-Feb-1778. They had ten children, all baptised at Earsdon between 1780 and 1804, with the exception of the first George SPOONER (son of Ralph & Susanna SPOONER, Pitman, near Hartley) who buried there without a Church baptism on 06-Dec-1793 (aged unrecorded). It was their tenth child, the second George, born and baptised in 1804 who was my direct ancestor. Ralph SPOONER is described in Earsdon’s baptism registers as being a native of Lemmington, NBL, twice and in 1804 as a native of Newburn parish. I have been unable to discover any other information on Ralph SPOONER other that he was buried at St. Alba on 06-Aug-1813, aged 62 years, implying that he was born about 1851.

As for his wife, Susannah LEIGHTON, the baptism registers show that she was a native Birtley, Durham (once) and Birtley, Northumberland (once).

Birtley, Durham formed part of the parish of Chester-le-Street and did not become a parish in its own right until 1850. Birtley St. Giles, Northumberland, however, was an established parish and its baptism registers show:

Birtley St. Giles, Northumberland

01-Mar-1761   Susannah LEIGHTON   Daughter of Adam LEIGHTON and Catherine RILEY was baptised

St. Giles was a small parish and only 12 baptisms were carried out in 1761. I have checked these on the IGI and they only record the name of the child’s father except for Susannah’s baptism. This implies that Adam and Catherine were not married at that time.

Adam LEIGHTON had five children baptised at Earsdon St. Alba at almost exactly two yearly intervals between 1767 and 1775. I was concerned at the six-year gap between Susannah’s baptism at Birtley in 1761 and his son John’s baptism at Earsdon in 1767. I have checked all the LEIGHTON baptisms recorded on the IGI for the period 1761 to 1767 and only found the following possibility:

Belford, Northumberland

23-Apr-1763   George   son of Adam LEIGHTON & Anne CHURNSIDE, Belford, a Bastard Child baptised.

03-Jul-1763   Anne   daughter of John CHURNSIDE senior, Belford, buried.
11-Jul-1763   George   son of Adam LEIGHTON & Anne CHURNSIDE, Belford, buried.

I have also checked for the marriage of Adam Leighton and Catherine and come up with the following.

Washington Holy Trinity, Durham

25-Jul-1764   Adam LEIGHTON & Catherine RIDLEY, both of this parish, were married in this church by banns by J. ROBSON, Minister. In the presence of Ann JENNINGS and Mary GRAYSON.

I was tempted to assume that Catherine RIDLEY’s parents had refused their consent for her marriage in 1761 and that she had to wait until she reached full age in 1764. I have checked an index to Earsdon St. Alba’s burial registers between 1813 and 1837, however, and found the following to be the only LEIGHTON burial in that period:

02-May-1821   Catherine LEIGHTON   Percy Main   95 years.

I have not checked this entry back to the actual parish registers but it would imply that this Catherine was born in 1826. If she was Adam’s wife then she would have been aged 35 when Susannah was born in 1861 and 49 when Joseph, her last child was born in 1775. She could, of course, have been his wife’s mother and a 35 year old grandmother. I have not checked the burial registers prior to 1812 for Adam’s burial.

Please let me have your thoughts

Albert

Offline McTalbert

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 12 March 10 09:36 GMT (UK) »
The final paragraph of my last posting is absolute rubbish.

please substitute the following:

I have not checked this entry back to the actual parish registers but it would imply that this Catherine was born in 1726. If she was Adam’s wife then she would have been aged 35 when Susannah was born in 1861 and 49 when Joseph, her last child was born in 1775. She could, of course, have been his mother and a 35 year old grandmother. I have not checked the burial registers prior to 1812 for Adam’s burial.

Albert

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 12 March 10 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Albert.

You have certainly given me something to think about. I need to get this all down on paper to try to sort it all out.  ;)

Your findings about Susanna Leighton being b 1761 and her parents Adam and Catherine marrying in 1764 in Washington tally with mine, as does almost everything else you've discovered.  :D So that is reassuring.

Other possible children born to Adam Leighton and Catherine Ridley:
John chr 5 Jul 1767
Roger chr 16 Jul1769
Adam chr 15 Sept 1771 Earsdon
Mary 19 Dec 1773 Earsdon by Nth SHields
Joseph chr 12 Nov 1775 Earsdon

I thought there must be more children between Susanna in 1761 and John in 1767. I see you have the same concerns.

I will have to try to work out where the Catherine Leighton who died in 1821 fits in. I suspect she is either not one of ours or a generation further back.

I have also found the following (unproven):
Catherine Ridley chr 22 Nov 1742 Sunderland Holy Trinity
parents: John Ridley and Ann Newcombe

I have John Ridley and Ann Newcombe marrying 5th Oct 1741 Sunderland.

[note: There is another John Ridley married to Ann Reed who are living in and christening children in Seaham around the same time]

I have found an Ann Newcombe chr Dec 1721 Auckland St Andrew Durham
father John Newcombe - no mother named.

This is largely unverified. I have not seen the original PR's.

PS. Thank you for clearing up Susannah's birth place of Birtley. I knew there were two Birtleys, but still wasn't sure which was correct. Your finding of her christening at Birtley St Giles clarifies it.

I will return with more comments after I have digested all of this properly.  ;)

Offline lesB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 12 March 10 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Albert

I'm blown away!

Thank you for all this wonderful information.

I'm from the Ralph/Susanna Leighton, Ralph/Mary Hunter, Ralph/Mary Davison, and Andrew Pearson/Hannah Dixon Spooner line. If you are interested in learning more of this line please let me know.

Cheers, Les