Author Topic: Spooner marriage look up  (Read 20180 times)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spooner marriage look up
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 11:05 GMT (UK) »
OOPS... I should have written " other Spooners born in south-east Northumberland.

MD
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Michael, if we have the correct Ralph for Les, then yes, he was a sinker on the 1841 census.  ;D

Re the surname Spoor: I have noticed when looking through parish records that this name regularly pops up. See here:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/05oj/

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Kath- The suggestion that Spoors could have been mistaken for Spooner is very good.

Les,
This is worth double-checking, but I wouldn't place too much hope in it - as Ruskie has said Spoor/Spoors was an extremely common name in the north-east. Just search the name on Genuki Northumbria to see what I mean http://www.rootschat.com/links/04bg/

Also, this marriage shows up as being between Ralph Spoors and Mary Davison on three separate sites: Durham Records Online, Family History Online and Genuki/Bishopwearmouth.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Les, for what it's worth, I think your Ralph is the one Janis found chr 8 Jan 1815 Wallsend s/o Ralph and Mary.

The birth date fits in with the other children born to this couple found on your Durham thread, and also fits with the marriage of Ralph Spooner and Mary Hunter in 1812.

On the Durham thread we also found an Adam Spooner and Ann who had a son Ralph chr 1813 in Christ Church Tynemouth. I don't think this is your Ralph.

In the 1841 at HO107/313/34/15 in Easington Durham is Adam Spooner with wife Ann (Gray)and 25 year old son Ralph.

In the 1841 at HO107/311/8/9 in East Murton is Ralph Spooner age 25 with wife Mary and children. This family has been found in all censuses and their daughter Hannah fits in with your ancestor Hannah whose father is Ralph Spooner and mother is Mary surname unknown.

I cannot find Ralph son of Adam on any further censuses. Perhaps he died?

If I were you I would try to find Ralph's 1815 Wallsend christening on the Bishop's Transcripts, though I think there is less info at that time than in earlier years. You should get his father Ralph's occupation though (bet he's a pitman  ;D).

[PS. I think you should also have a look at Mary Hunter's line - see if you can find an Anthony - that name is not from the Spooner side.  ;D]

Offline lesB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you one and all.

Welcome Ruskie from my Durham thread.

Michael, your info. on the Sinker's housing is very interesting and Ruskie you are quite correct re. 1841 Ralph's census occupation, although it was recorded simply as coal miner on subsequent census's. At least he didn't wander to far afield during his working life which makes it easier to follow him.

I'm inclined to agree with Ruskie's view that the Ralph baptized in 1815 (Wallsend) was the son of Ralph and Mary married in 1812. Just a matter now of obtaining the documentary evidence to prove it.

It is disappointing to not finding a listing for the marriage of Ralph/Mary?
Still, it's early days. Hey, perhaps they were never married. Was this uncommon for the times or is it simply that all parish records 1830-1837 in Northumberland  haven't yet been transcribed, microfilmed etc.

I wonder if the name Dixon or some other name like this e.g. Dickson might be the maiden name of Mary? My maternal great grandmother Hannah showed Dixon as her second name in the Durham listing for her marriage in 1872. She was the daughter of Ralph/Mary? Bit of a long shot perhaps?

LesB

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Lesb,

It is likely that in younger days he was a roving Sinker, but then later, with wife and children, opted for been a coal miner in a particular pit.  ( Maybe after sinking his last pit, he thinks "this is a nice black hole, I think I'll stay ! " .)

By the way the term  " parish"  in that era applies only to Anglican/Church of England. But anyway,  up to 1st July 1837 the only legal way to marry in England and Wales was in a "parish" church. In what denomination were their children baptised ?

Several chatters on this board use an Index of Northumberland Marriages 1813-1837 ( or is it 1839?) which covers all of the county !

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Children are chr C of E as far as we know Michael.  :)
(thought I'd answer as Les is offline)

I was just going to check the baptism for Ralph Spooner chr 8 Jan 1815 s/o Ralph and Mary, but discovered that the Wallsend bapts on the Familysearch Pilot site don't start till 1833.  :-\ That's disappointing.

Les, you can order the film from your local LDS family history centre.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Les, Ralph and Mary may not have married, or they may have married somewhere where we least expect it - specially if Michael's sinker theory is correct.

The birth cert of one of Ralph and Mary's children will at least give us Mary's surname ...

Offline lesB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 February 09 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi, sorry for not getting back sooner.

Thank you Michael and Ruskie for your recent posts.

Ruskie, I couldn't agree more with your suggestion and there is no doubt in my mind that I need to obtain the birth & marr. certificates asap for Hannah D. In view of our mutual interest in this Spooner family I will let you know the results.
I will also give the local LDS family history centre a go to see if they can help.

Michael, it was Meadbh (23 Feb) who looked up a 1813-1837 marriage index for N'umberland. Was this the one you referred to in your post.

LesB