Author Topic: McCALDRIDGE / ALEXANDER  (Read 6630 times)

Offline mad jock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCALDRIDGE / ALEXANDER
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 February 12 16:51 GMT (UK) »
opened this post again, hoping someone can help. I gfeel I have exhausted all avenues I am aware of.

Thanks in advance
 :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 February 12 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Bumping up posts is discouraged so please don't do so if you've no more details to add to the existing thread. It's usually just a matter of waiting for responses from others.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mad jock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 February 12 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Apologies.
Didn't mean to cause any problems.

:)

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I have just joined the forum to try to find out my McCaldridge ancestry, see post 7 Feb 2017.  Only comment I can make to this thread is that my McCaldridge's changed family name to McFadden late 1800s and there has been an Alexander in every generation of forenames since.  Also the name Louden is extremely common in Ballymoney area today and I think it is the modern variant of the one you have been seeking.
McFadden, McCaldridge, M'Aldridge, Gordon, Robb, McDonald

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Latest info obtained.   You will need to read this more than once!

My grandmother's father was William McCaldridge on his marriage to her mother Eliza Taggart 1896, in Ballymoney Registry Office - William thereafter became known as McFadden, his mother's maiden name, having been born Alexander, 1875.

Grandmother as far as I know died without knowing the family name was Alexander, McCaldridge - or M'Aldridge, or McAldridge, all variants used.  She certainly married as McFadden in 1918.  Census 1901 and 1911 show the family as McFadden, Drumnafivey, Ballymoney.

Her husband's parents Mary Ann McFadden and William Alexander married 1874 in Bushvale Presbyterian, and he may having been cited as the father of Jane McFadden, born 1869 to Nancy Jane also McFadden of Drumtullagh, near Moss-side. This William lived at Carnkirn and was surnamed McCaldrige.

William married 1874 was son of Thomas Alexander Mullaghduff, Ballymoney (a few hundred yards from Carnkirn) and Mary Ann McFadden of Knockanavery, Ballymoney daughter of John McFadden.  You will see that the names Alexander or McCaldridge variants were used indiscriminately as far back as this.

I feel that there was a particular reason for avoiding the name of McCaldridge, after 1870s and in those days when communication was poor, it seems that these name changes spread unusually fast.
To make the name less Irish as another contributor suggests they would just have dropped the Mc part.   Any info re this appreciated.   

Best wishes to anyone trying to unravel these mysteries!
McFadden, McCaldridge, M'Aldridge, Gordon, Robb, McDonald

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 19:47 GMT (UK) »
My mother-in-law worked in Ballymoney from 1924 and used to talk about McAlshanders/McCaldridges/Alexanders (not the same as yours) so it was probably more local variations of the same name. Changing names wasn't uncommon (sometimes mother's maiden/birth name, then father's or stepfather's name, etc.).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!