Author Topic: Grave Sharing?  (Read 11088 times)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Grave Sharing?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Whilst looking up some War Graves I found quite
a few with none related people also buried with them.

In the Grave Book it says often in Red
"Free Gift I.W.G. (Imperial War Graves) Com".

As the original headstones did not survive it makes you
wonder if there were 2 stones like on family gravestones.

I suppose only relatives with original photographs know.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I was recently helping Mark (Framesmith1816) with his thread, and helped him locate the grave of Sarah Warner in Nottingham General Cemetery. She was buried in a tomb, together with William Soars, his wife and son. This surprised us, as we expected her to be buried with her husband, John.
Anyway, as our research progressed we found that John and Sarah (from details in her will) had separated in 1846, and so presumed that William and his wife had been buried with a dear, 'esteemed' friend. However, further along the line, after much more research, we found that she was related to William.
Daisy Loo, this may not be the case with your relatives, but it certainly proved to be worth digging a bit further in this case (sorry about the expression!).
Paulene :)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes Gaille is right.... - the manchester website does list lots of names in different graves under the same number and you do need the plot number and section to make sure you are only looking at the names in the right grave. 

Milly :)
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 23:53 GMT (UK) »
lol...digging into the past is a sorry expression when relating to this topic eh?

Thanks all for your input...I most certainly will investigate though  ;D
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 February 09 07:57 GMT (UK) »
I was talking to an elderly cousin yesterday, and she was adamant that still-born children were placed in the coffin of someone who had died around the same time in the same village.   I seem to vaguely recollect hearing of this before, but I don't know whether it's true.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 February 09 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Nick, you're right, I'm sure I've seen a discussion about that here on RC!  ;D

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 February 09 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I toddled down to the cemetery this afternoon.  No luck, I'm afraid.

There are very few stones left in Section X.  There were some small, square stones (approx. 1' x 1') embedded in the ground - almost like paving stones - that marked (mostly) family graves.  These had the section and grave number engraved on them and so helped to indicate roughly the area containing grave 472.  This area no longer had any markers at all.

Dimps
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 February 09 21:42 GMT (UK) »
oh, shame!  Thank you so much for going though, oh well, guess it's just the visit to TNA now to look forward to :)

Thanks again, and I haven't forgotten the drink :)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 February 09 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Did you look at the burial register on the manchester burial site ...it will give age, marital status and last address...which might give you a clue as to where (and if) they were related.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk