Author Topic: COLEMAN in Kings Stanley  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
COLEMAN in Kings Stanley
« on: Tuesday 24 February 09 23:00 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for the ancestors of John Coleman born c1770 who married Hester Harrison in Kings Stanley on 24 Oct 1791. Children were Harriet 1793, William Harrison 1796, John c1801, Hannah Maria 1802, George 1803 and Eliza 1808.

I have found some trace of wife Hester but I'm not sure which parish John was from and haven't found anything in Kings Stanley.

Any help much appreciated.

Kelly  :)
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: COLEMAN in Kings Stanley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Kelly,

There's a  J.C  X   H.H. marriage in the IGI and as it's a submitted entry, it's not to be trusted without verification in a root source document.   However, I can confirm that in my transcription of some of K.S's BT's for 1791 there is, "John Coleman of Rodboro <Gloucester? unsure> & Hester Harrison October 24".

Searching for J.C's baptism at Rodborough via  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyGloucester_(N-Z).htm#R  reveals another submitted entry which also needs verification even though an LDS member has linked it to the K.S. marriage.  I have no information from Rodborough but perhaps somebody might help you with it.

Searching for H.H. at K.S. on the above site gives a christening in an acceptable time window: you can be sure there was such a baptism on that day, but is she yours?  That's what you must decide for yourself I'm afraid.

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chas,

Thank you for your response, and for checking the records for this marriage and baptisms. I agree with what you say about the user-submitted entries in the IGI but that was all I had to go on. I have also used the census records which have helped me work out that John and Hester Coleman are the right parents to the younger John Coleman I have been researching, but there is where it ends as the earlier info is less reliable, and so I took the IGI info.

Hopefully something else might come up in other people's records. I haven't had any luck as yet with the Rodboro connection.

Thanks for your help.

Kelly.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline Benjamin Thomas Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelly,

Sorry for the extremely late reply.
John Coleman and Hester Harrison certainly had John,Eliza,George,Hannah,Harriet and there was also another daughter named Mary Ann Coleman who had 5 children to her first husband who was possibly murdered before the youngest was born then she married James Hogan and had another 5 children, Hester's parents were Abraham Harrison and Jane Vick.

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Benjamin,

No problem, I am still looking for John Coleman. I have a fair bit on the Harrison and Vick sides but John eludes me.

I was not aware of Mary Ann, do you have a baptism date for her? My husband descends from John junior.

Kelly.

Offline Benjamin Thomas Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelly,

Currently i'm unsure but i believe her baptism was 2 Feb 1823 in Almondsbury, Gloucestershire, England she was born in 1816 in Kings Stanley and died 17 Jan 1894 in Herbert,Otepopo,North Otago.

I am descended from Mary ann

Offline DeeTriHard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 March 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hester Harrisons Father was Abraham Harrison baptised 23 Feb 1739 in Kings Stanley. His wife was Jane Vick 1749-1817. Hester had 2 daughters Harriet and Anne (Mary Ann?)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 March 18 09:28 BST (UK) »

? not sure if you have this

Gloucestershire Records Office/Ancestry, which just gives brief details

Overseers Report

COLEMAN: Kings Stanley

John: 2 years
William: 4 years
Harriet: 8 years
Hester :(no age given)

Reference: P288 OV 3/4/2/4

Offline DeeTriHard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 March 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
Try  Longhope Gloucestershire
Father Robert Coleman 1676 to 1773
Mother Mary Butcher
More children than I first thought so need to go back over for evidence
I'm a Harrison by the way but the link is tenuous, we share a Grt grt grt grt grt grt grt Grandfather, Abraham Harrison 1670 married to Elizabeth Heaven
Roberts father was also Robert Coleman 1622-1682 married to Elizabeth G Mott 1632-1700
This is from others trees so I would need to go through the evidence to verify; NEVER just copy!