Author Topic: Birth/Baptism Lookup Please - Elizabeth ROPER - Monks Eleigh  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Aussielost

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth/Baptism Lookup Please - Elizabeth ROPER - Monks Eleigh
« on: Thursday 26 February 09 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if anyone would be able to lookup a birth for me please. The Church is St Peters -  Monks Eleigh, Suffolk.

Elizabeth Roper b. about 1755. Can't seem to work out where she is from. The usual story. I have her 3 daughters births, Mary 1775, Elizabeth 1784 and Sarah 1790 all as a single mother.

If anyone could help I would appreciate it very much.

Regards,

Kerry

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Lookup Request Please - Elizabeth Roper Monks Eleigh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 February 09 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Have just checked the Monks Eleigh pages on www.cosford-database.co.uk and no Roper's mentioned at all - although it is a common-ish (if there is such a word) name in this area of Suffolk (I live close by).

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 February 09 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Have been checking out 'Roper' villages on the Cosford Database and have found the daughter Sarah with her mother listed as Elizabeth and a note of her children on the LAVENHAM pages.

If you click on the Surnames listings for Lavenham there are 15 Roper's and Sarah is one of them.

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 February 09 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Will have a look at Little Waldingfield as this has always been a popular place with Roper families  ;D

Pat ...
in Little Waldingfield
I have to find two more!

Offline Aussielost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/Baptism Lookup Please - Elizabeth ROPER - Monks Eleigh
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 February 09 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Pat.

Have a hard copy of Sarah Ropers Parish entry dated 10th March 1790 in Monks Eleigh. She was 2 1/2 at the time of christening. Driving me crazy. Wonder if there is anything in Lavenham Parish church records. Would be a longshot. She would not have been christened twice though. Confusing myself now.

Looked on Cosford database and found entry you said. I have a copy of the bastardy order for Edward Smith and that Sarah Roper (by accident though). Will keep plodding along. Having another dispute re if Elizabeth Roper b. 1754 Chelsworth is girls mother now. I have a copy of a settlement document that was sent to Little Waldingfield for Elizabeth Roper jnr b. 1784 only got this all today (she was eight at the time). A witness was William Roper so I thought that the Chelsworth mob might be the right ones.

You have been a great help.

Thankyou

Kerry

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kerry,

Haven't been able to do very much since Thursday of last week - lower back problems.

Will have another look at this one, as I say, around here there are still many Ropers, must be more information somewhere in the villages.

Pat ...
I have to find two more!

Offline Aussielost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Sorry to hear you have had back problems. Take it easy. I appreciate anything you can dig up. I thought of posting an add in a local paper, might be worth a go. Would you please be able to give me the name of popular newspaper in the area.

Thanks again for all of your help,

Kerry

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 March 09 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Thanks for the kind wishes, I have a wonderful Osteopath in Lavenham.

Today the weekly local paper arrived through our letter box, it is the Suffolk Free Press and comes from Sudbury.  There is also a Bury St Edmunds version, but the Sudbury one would be nearer to your area of research www.suffolkfreepress.co.uk/

The local paper for the whole of Suffolk, delivered daily is The East Anglian Daily Times www.eadt.co.uk   We also have this one delivered, so if you send something I will keep a look out for it and let you know if/when published.

The Anglian loves any stories about ancestors in Suffolk and are willing to print follow up articles if successful conclusion to your search.

Daughter telling me off and saying I should be resting - better do as I am told (I have to rest, be moderately active, rest, be moderately active etc etc)

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

Offline Aussielost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/Baptism Lookup Please - Sarah ROPER - Lavenham
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Just wanted to see how you were getting on with your back. I hope it has improved since the last time we spoke.

Wanted to pick your brain if possible. With Ray Long passing away do you know if there is anyone I can contact regarding a relative that I have found in common in his tree? Sent an email to his Cosford database address which was a bit silly of me. Not sure where I should go with this?

Still having problems with my Roper clan. Haven't done the newspaper thing but hope to in the next few weeks. Still doing physio after breast reconstruction surgery. Getting there slowly. I am having hassles with my links to this family in Lavenham. On Rays database in Lavenham it is showing Sarah Ropers mother to be Elizabeth Roper single as mine is. On the Monks Eleigh Parish register it shows Sarah Roper being 2 1/2 at time of christening. There is another Sarah Roper showing up in Laveham as a birth about the time of my Sarahs birth. Just need to know who Sarah Ropers parents were in Laveham. If this is just the birth register and not baptism I think she is my girl.

Hope all is well and take care

Kerry