Author Topic: McKechnie - Death 1853 - may interest some one  (Read 5869 times)

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McKechnie - Death 1853 - may interest some one
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 August 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
That's great Bob

Always nice to fill in a branch of the family tree
I will add the fathers name as well. That was very interesting, well researched.

What sites are the best  for Canadian research?

Any idea why they were emigrating? given Malcolm employed 25 people in 1851 had the industry gone into decline or had they fallen on hard times?

Regards Allan

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 August 15 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob

Sorry forgot to tell you where I got the article, its in the British newspaper archive dated Wed 2nd Nov 1853, Bury and Norwich Post just double checked and it has the mothers name as Jessie ??????

I have to say that journalistic standards weren't that high and with everything hand copied, I have come across lots of mistakes.
Given that all the children names match

Regards Allan

Offline kahu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 11:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Allan.

Jessie is a derivation of Janet and commonly interchangeable in Scotland. It is also used as the pet name for Janet and it is quite likely the mother was known as Jessie by friends and family.  I think this is another tick  :)

I haven’t done a lot of research in Canada but have mainly used Familysearch and cemetery sites such as findagrave.com, which is where I found Malcolm and his second wife.  Some towns/cities have their own searchable cemetery databases and occasionally by Googling a name and year you may find an old newspaper record such as a death notice.  Ancestry also covers Canada.

I can’t say for sure why the family were emigrating but, from what I can gather, living conditions in Paisley were quite harsh at that time, with overcrowding, poor sanitation and outbreaks of illnesses like cholera and influenza following rapid industrialisation, and it could have just been for the usual reasons of looking for a better life and prospects but, given the family’s business as shawl manufacturers it is also possible that Malcolm was hoping to develop a market for the family’s line in shawls.  While financial collapse and unemployment were common in Paisley at this time the family business appears to have survived quite well.  In the 1851 census three of the brothers between them were employing 368 workers.  In 1861 one brother John was employing 300.  When the father died in 1866 he left a reasonable sized estate and the business was still operating in the name of son John.

Malcolm who immigrated to Quebec also seems to have done quite well.  Canadian records describe him as a Merchant and an 1892 Business and Farmers Directory describes him in the business of “dry goods, groceries and crockery”.  Two sons are also listed, both working for him as clerks, so a wholesaling business of some kind.

I think the shawl weaving industry went into decline in the 1870’s, so maybe Malcolm made the right move.

Unfortunately none of the McKechnie business flare has trickled down to me  :(

Good luck with your project Allan and thank you again for posting those girl’s names, who appear to have been my gt grandmother’s cousins.  She immigrated to NZ in 1860 at age 16, just her and another girl, brave souls.

Best wishes,

Bob

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 August 15 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob

Just for your interest the web site is up now, I have put Janet and children in steerage class, I think if she had been travelling cabin class her name would have been on the passenger list.
http://www.anniejane.net/

Regards Allan

Offline kahu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 August 15 00:34 BST (UK) »
That's a valuable piece of research Allan and nicely presented.  Well done.

No argument with putting Janet and children in steerage.  Although the McKechnie family seem to have been reasonably well off, if not on the passenger list as cabin I think it's a fair conclusion they were travelling steerage.

I'm still trying to find out what happened to the eldest daughter Janet/Jessie who appears not to have been on the 'Annie Jane'.  I may have found her on the 1851 census visiting another family in Glasgow, but have more work to do before I can confirm it is her.

Regards
Bob

Offline s_lander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 03:38 BST (UK) »
This string is a great find for me. I am researching Jane McKechnie (1827-1914) who married Robert Miller Greenlees in Paisley on June 13th 1850. She had a brother Robert who appears to be the one who settled in Sherbrooke, Quebec and married Jean Younie, having seven children or more. Bob mentions connection to this family. I research in Canada and would like to collaborate on this McKechnie family.  J

Offline kahu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 May 16 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi J
Your Jane McKechnie was my gg grandmother Agnes McKechnie's sister.  I don't know about a brother Robert.  Do you mean Malcolm? (who it appears married Jean Younie after the loss of his first family on the 'Annie Jane')
I have researched this family in Scotland but not so much in Canada.  I'm happy to pass on what I know but am about to head overseas for a month so will leave a more detailed reply until I get back, when I will PM you.
Regards Bob

Offline s_lander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 May 16 23:50 BST (UK) »
I did mean Malcolm, but I also meant to mention Robert, who did not come to Canada as far as I know. I look forward to hearing from you when you return. Have a great time.

Offline rebeccamary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 November 16 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi all - new here so I hope it's okay to be posting on an old thread!

I came across this and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me check if my McKechnie ancestors are related to the ones in this thread? Mine also come from Renfrewshire, but I'm having trouble seeing if they're linked... The ones I have are:

John McKechnie m. Mary Bell(?, I'm not 100% on this as the handwriting is hard to decipher)
James McKechnie m. Agnes Black
Archibald McKechnie b. 1883 in Renfrewshire, m. Mary Livingstone

Thanks very much in advance  :)
Mackenzie (Caithness) - McKechnie (Renfrewshire/Oban) - Wood (Perthshire/Edinburgh) - MacDonald (Caithness) - Subritzky