Author Topic: Real or not?  (Read 6922 times)

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Real or not?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 February 09 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I know that his brother Reuben signed on in Reading... theoretically so would Stephen - at the same time?

The war memorial in Basildon lists a Reuben Smith who 'gave his life for his country' and he is on the CWGC.

Stephen came home, married and fathered children.

Matt
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 February 09 17:44 GMT (UK) »
For once I am right on this. Hurray! I did guess the Berkshire Yeomanry and the Middle East fight against the Turks.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 February 09 21:36 GMT (UK) »
For once I am right on this. Hurray! I did guess the Berkshire Yeomanry and the Middle East fight against the Turks.

The young Padawan learns quickly.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline BerkshireYeoman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Assistant Hon. Curator - Berkshire Yeomanry Museum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

We have a very similar picture in the museum of Tpr RT Smith (Berks Yeo) who was killed fighting near Jerusalem in November 1917.

Is Reubern Smith your man or is one of his brothers you are research?

regards
Andrew French
Asst Hon Curator
Berks Yeo Museum
Researching and sharing information on the men and women who served within and the units of Berkshire Yeomanry from 1794 to date

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew,

I am not sure whether this is Stephen Smith (1896-1964) or his brother Reuben Thomas Smith (1897-1917). I know they both served and appear on the Roll of Honour, along with a J.S.Smith from Basildon. But I thought J.S.Smith could have been their older brother Joseph Jesse? All of these would be my... great grandmother (Dorothy A Smith)'s brothers. This is a photo that was in my grandfather's possession (the son of Dorothy Smith) and I'm not sure if he knew who it was, but my father's cousin thinks that the man was Reuben. In my opinion, this was one of a few photos sent home to family and friends: possibly one to his parents (the one I have) and a couple for married sisters living further afield etc.

Clive Williams OBE seems to think that this is Reuben Thomas Smith, as he appears in his book 'Lest We Forget, Basildon's Fallen'. The photo was, I think, taken from your archives, or the Reading Standard.

The 1917 'obit' in the Reading Standard says that he was Trooper Smith, serving in the Berks Yeo Signal Troop, but I have seen his service record and it says he served in the Machine Gun Corps of the 101st Berks and Bucks Btn (Service No. 70706). Buried in Jerusalem War Cemetery, grave D94.

Matt
Matt

Offline BerkshireYeoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

This didn't come from us but is definitely Reuben, we have two other photos of him. His body was not recovered and he was posted missing.
In the meantime in April 1918 the Berks Yeo had been amalgamated with the Bucks Yeo and sent to France as 101 Bn MGC. As a missing man he was not declared dead and struck off strength until after the unit was re rolled hence the confusion. I hope this clears up any confusion

I will post what we have on Reuben Smith for you tomorrow

Regards
Andrew
Researching and sharing information on the men and women who served within and the units of Berkshire Yeomanry from 1794 to date

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 16:51 BST (UK) »
So he was missing, presumed dead? The roll of Honour says he was KIA but if the body was not recovered then the Roll of Honour isn't correct?

This is what I have on Reuben:

REUBEN THOMAS SMITH was born on 19 September 1897 at Bethesda Street, Basildon, Berkshire (Source: Basildon Parish Registers, Reuben Thomas b. 19 September 1897, bap. 5 Dec 1897, Son of Joseph and Tabitha Smith) and died on 27 November 1917 at Jerusalem, Israel (Source: Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Reuben Thomas Smith died 27 November 1917 aged 20 years, son of Joseph and Tabitha Smith of Upper Basildon, Berkshire).

Notes for REUBEN THOMAS SMITH:
Possibly born at 7, Bethesda Street, Upper Basildon, Berkshire. According to the book ‘Lest We Forget – Basildon’s Fallen’, Reuben Thomas Smith’s death appeared in the Reading Standard, where he was listed as Trooper Smith serving in a Signal Troop with the Berkshire Yeomanry. He is buried in Jerusalem War Cemetery, Jerusalem, Israel, in Grave D94.

Events for REUBEN THOMAS SMITH:
Baptism: 05 December 1897, Upper Basildon St. Stephen’s Iron Church, Bethesda Street, Basildon, Berkshire (Source: Basildon Parish Registers).

I'd love to see the pictures of him - where is the Berks Yeo museum situated? I would like to come and see the pictures etc. I don't live far outside Reading (Silchester, Tadley)

Matt

Offline BerkshireYeoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt
We are based at the TA Centre in Windsor and are open most Tuesdays between 6 - 8 pm.
Best to make an appointment either with me on 07976 964768 or with my collegue Simon Frost on(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hmm well don't know if I'll be able to get to Windsor on a Tuesday night, it's a school night... Unless a holiday is coming up (away all next week though).

Matt