Author Topic: Temple Bar Peebles--Brodie & Murray families  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Bar Peebles
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 May 09 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry,

I can't tell you when my Margaret Brodie died, she was born about 1816-18 & I think she is the daughter of Robert & Marian Brodie. I have nothing to confirm who her parents are. According to her son, George Murray's, marriage record she is deceased as of 1889. I can find her in the 1851 & 61 census in Edinburgh with her sons Robert Murray, William Murray, & George Murray. Her "partner" whose name is supposedly also Robert Murray is never with them. Could you please tell me about your Brodies'.
Thanks very much,
Lisa

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Bar Peebles--Brodie & Murray families
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 June 09 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I've found Margaret Brodie (daughter of Robert Murray & Marion Hastie) death information. She died in 1870 Edinburgh. It is signed by Isabella ?... almost looks like Murray but I don't think it is. Margaret is listed as single.

I've found 2 of her sons marriage information. Robert Murray married Jessie Ann Robertson in 1871 Dundee. His parents are Robert Murray & Margaret Murray maiden surname Brodie, both deceased. Younger brother George Murray says the same on his marriage information. I haven't been able to pinpoint middle brother William Murray yet.

Everything I've found leads me back to the above Margaret Brodie being the Murray brothers mom.....BUT I needed to see that one of the boys signed his moms death register & that didn't happen.

She didn't leave a will that I can find, unless it wasn't filed until 1875 & I don't think that would happen.
I'm reasonably certain that Margaret Brodie never married Robert Murray.
I'm reasonably certain that the Murray brothers births were never registered & quite possibly never christened

How do I go about "proving" the above Margaret Brodie is their Mom?

Thanks for any insight.

Cordially,
Lisa

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 June 09 15:22 BST (UK) »
I've found Margaret Brodie (daughter of Robert Murray & Marion Hastie) death information. She died in 1870 Edinburgh. It is signed by Isabella ?... almost looks like Murray but I don't think it is. Margaret is listed as single.

Either the informant at her death registration got the information wrong or you have a definite problem with this person.

With Margaret Brodie being single and unmarried at her death this makes her "natural" name Brodie - If this is correct to have Marion Hastie or Murray as the mother of Margaret Brodie then either you would need

(1) Margaret would have had to be illegitimate and her father named Brodie and Marion later married Robert Murray

or

(2) Marion Hastie was previously married to a Mr Brodie and her daughter born from that marriage.

or

(3) It's the wrong person.

Alternatively - For  Robert Murray to be the natural father it is extremely unlikely that Marion Hastie would be the mother - given the different surnames.

Offline Scott Bell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 July 18 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

On the censuses Margaret Brodie says she is born at Temples Bar Peeblesshire.
I've looked for a village called that & I can't find one. Is it a village,or is this the name of a farm, or a street/road, or what is it?

Thank you,
Lisa
hi my auntie lived at Tempel bar in pebbles I played there as a kid , I now live in Sydney

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.