Author Topic: HMS Anking WW2  (Read 43301 times)

Offline Jmlf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Anking WW2
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 08 November 15 22:09 GMT (UK) »
My uncle was on HMS Anking and was on a life raft which had one survivor Arthur Topping I think. I am hoping Arthur's relatives might have some information. Good luck with your search

Offline van Doornum

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wendy,
Came across your query whilst researching Tawali.  My Father was on this ship and it sailed via Ceylon to Simons Town, Cape of Good hope, South Africa.  I don't know if the survivors disembrked in Ceylon or elsewhere. I also find getting accurate information is difficult

Offline bjuly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 01 December 16 03:31 GMT (UK) »
My uncle, George Hutchinson was on HMS Anking.  I have just been to Singapore and been to Changi where we always thought that he was imprisoned.  I was given a document from the curator at Changi completed by my uncle that states that he was captured on 24 March 1942. Under the name of camp or hospital it says Watis, Djockakart, Bondoeng, Java from 24.3.42 to 8.7.43 there is then another place - Wakayana, Ikuno, Japan from 16.11.43 to 10.3.45.  As you can see there is a gap of 20 days from when the Anking was sunk and also a gap of 4 months from one camp to another.  Our family were always under the impression that he was a POW at Changi and this could still be the case although maybe for only a short while before being sent to either Java or Japan.  One of the very few things that uncle spoke about was that a Dr had to take out the appendix of someone using a penknife whilst they were on Tenko. Another thing he said was that one of the camp helpers asked him where he came from and he answered, Yorkshire.  From that day the helper called him Mr Yorkie.  He also made his children stand at the side of the road every morning, bow to him and say good morning Mr Yorkie.  He, of course, could not reply. Does anyone have any info regarding my uncle.

Offline Pebble M

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 08 March 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I am like others trying to find out about my father, Marine Thomas Loveden. He was a survivor from HMS Repulse. It has was reported that he was serving on HMS Anking when she was sunk. I know there were a number of survivors and wonder if he actually survived the initial sinking but died later.

Offline Brendon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 28 June 18 17:37 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the report of the senior surviving officer HMS Anking rescued by MS Tawali if anyone would be interested in seeing it. It is dated MS Tawali 11 March 1942. No names are mentioned except one in the last paragraph:
... the magnificent work performed by the Dutch Red Cross Sister Mevrouw van Otteren. There was no doctor on board. About 20 officers and men from Anking alone were suffering from shrapnel wounds, fever and minor injuries. She worked day and night dressing wounds and generally making us comfortable with the willing assistance of many other Dutchmen on board.
The report to the Commander-in-Chief, East Indies was accompanied by a list of known survivors from HMS Anking, but I have no copy of that.
The report is in the papers of my father who was a survivor of HMS Repulse and had reached Batavia before boarding Anking. My father's name was not on the list of people given by a previous correspondent.

Offline 21days

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 09 August 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
This is a copy of my late Father's (Charles Arthur Topping) diary.

Offline arthursmaid

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 20 September 20 19:26 BST (UK) »
This is a copy of my late Father's (Charles Arthur Topping) diary.

im not sure if any would be interested but doing a school assignment and am using a relative of mines detailed diary of the sinking of the hms anking and his and a couple of other mens survival on a safety raft. it has some names of those who was on there too

Hannah, if you come across any reference to either of thr two men below, I would be grateful to here from you, as well as see your final work.

BRODERICK, JOHN ERNEST, Ordinary Seaman, C/JX 300583
CLAYTON, HENRY, Stoker 2nd Class, D/KX 121022

Both men where from Widnes and perished in the sinking.

Henry Clayton was on the Repulse when it sank, but survived and made it to Singapore. When Singapore was invaded he managed to escape to Java, where he joined the crew of the Anking, only to be killed days later.
My first posting for many years not sure I am doing this properly
My father in law Hiram Southgate worked for the Naafi he is included on the diary list he made it to the village and was then captured by Japanese and taken to a coal mining Pow camp .We have never found anything before of him on any listing Probably as he was Naafi. 
Great to finally see some definite information . He gave only scant details.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 20 September 20 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Arthursmaid,

Welcome back ! If you remember your old profile I can help you connect to it.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 20 September 20 23:34 BST (UK) »
MAXWELL, Arthur
RN. Able Seaman. C/SSX 26227. Died 04/03/1942. HMS Anking. SS Anking, on British Admiralty service, left Batavia on 27/02/1942, for Fremantle. On 03/03/1942, she was intercepted by Japanese cruisers and sunk by gunfire about 200 miles east of Christmas Island. Sixteen survivors were picked up 4 days later. Son of William and Teresa Maxwell, Larne. Chatham Naval Memorial, Panel 55

A single listed item on the Internet.