Author Topic: Old Hill  (Read 2576 times)

Offline woody123

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Hill
« on: Saturday 28 February 09 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I have just received the death certificate of my great-grandmother from 1912 and it says she lived at Lion Road, Old Hill when she died. 

I can find no mention of Lion Road, Old Hill in my Birmingham A-Z, does anyone know what the road is called now or if it still exists?

Thanks
Mark
Westmorland - Currah, Richardson, Jackson, Graham, Williamson, Nixon
Scotland - Spence, Crawford, Stewart, Kerr, Munro and many more
Staffs - Wood, Round, Pittaway, Beddall, Brookes, Weston, Talbot, Shakespeare,

Staffs & Worcs - Millership, Roberts, Westbury, Lloyd, Bridgewater, Oliver

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Old Hill
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 March 09 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

I don't think it's there anymore in my old A-Z it's off wright's lane on multi maps wrights lane is  Birmingham w/mids B64
my daughter goes to school in wrights lane and i have never looked if i go down next week i will look for you :)

Donna
Butler/Willenhall/Smethwick/bromsgrove Briton/oldbury Doughty/Homer/Reynolds/Whitehouse/tipton Greenaway/gornal Phillips/,bala Toon/burton Selwood/tipton/worcester skidmore/hill top Wedgbury/worcester Wheatley/west Bromwich  Wooldridge/oldswinford  Worton/cradley Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline woody123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 March 09 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donna

Thanks for the info and the family did live in Wrights Lane on the 1901 census so you are probably right.

I live near the area myself and did check the A-Z but could see no sign of Lion Road so was just curious as to whether the more knowledgeable members of roots would know if the road ever existed or still does.

P.S, I used to go to Heathfields High School in Wrights lane myself.

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 March 09 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

if you want to send me your email by PM i can scan and send the page for you

Donna
Butler/Willenhall/Smethwick/bromsgrove Briton/oldbury Doughty/Homer/Reynolds/Whitehouse/tipton Greenaway/gornal Phillips/,bala Toon/burton Selwood/tipton/worcester skidmore/hill top Wedgbury/worcester Wheatley/west Bromwich  Wooldridge/oldswinford  Worton/cradley Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paul Tromans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 April 17 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna

Thanks for the info and the family did live in Wrights Lane on the 1901 census so you are probably right.

I live near the area myself and did check the A-Z but could see no sign of Lion Road so was just curious as to whether the more knowledgeable members of roots would know if the road ever existed or still does.

P.S, I used to go to Heathfields High School in Wrights lane myself.

I lived in Lion Road up until about 1970, in fact we were the last family to move out before the last houses were demolished, Lion Road was situated over the Stepping Bridge which was a Bridge over the railway, between the Prince of Wales pub, and a house in Wrights Lane this pathway/alleyway was almost directly opposite The Cherry Orchard Pub, You could also access Lion Road by Car further down Wrights Lane from a roadway alongside the old Shovel Works (Name escapes me) and go under the Railway Bridge and up Lion Road (Unmade road) to the houses, there were approx 26 Houses in Lion Road, and some of the families were The Beddalls, Nocks, Deeleys, Kimberlins, Pearsons, Tromans, Kites.

Offline woody123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 April 17 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that info Paul.

I had a lot of family who lived in either Lion road or wrights lane back in the 1900's-1960's.  I never mentioned names on my original post.  My great x 3 grandmother Esther Wood lived on Lion road, and it was her death cert I had.  Her son, Ephraim also lived on Lion road and died in 1913.  Ephraim's brother Alfred Wood, and his wife Amy lived on Wrights lane.

I notice you have the surname Tromans.  Do the names James Tromans (1882) & Florence Tromans (1882) nee Wood - mean anything to you at all?

I cannot find my great x 2 grandfather Ephraim Wood (1862) on the 1911 census at all, it seems he disappeared!!

Offline Paul Tromans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 April 17 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that info Paul.

I had a lot of family who lived in either Lion road or wrights lane back in the 1900's-1960's.  I never mentioned names on my original post.  My great x 3 grandmother Esther Wood lived on Lion road, and it was her death cert I had.  Her son, Ephraim also lived on Lion road and died in 1913.  Ephraim's brother Alfred Wood, and his wife Amy lived on Wrights lane.

I notice you have the surname Tromans.  Do the names James Tromans (1882) & Florence Tromans (1882) nee Wood - mean anything to you at all?

I cannot find my great x 2 grandfather Ephraim Wood (1862) on the 1911 census at all, it seems he disappeared!!

Florence ie Florrie rings a bell, as do William, George, Roland, and another Brother whose name escapes me for now..

Offline woody123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 April 17 20:15 BST (UK) »
Florrie born 1882 & James also born 1882 were definitely living on Lion road on the 1911 census.  I have a copy.

But, their children were Alfred, Mary-ann, Florrie, Gertrude, & Jennie.

I can't yet connect them to a William, George, & Roland. 

There must be a connection somewhere!!!

Florrie senior died in 1937 by the way and in 1899 worked for Netherton firm Samuel Lewis & Co.