Author Topic: A letter from Alnmouth 1878  (Read 12377 times)

Offline ncllass

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A letter from Alnmouth 1878
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 April 09 09:42 BST (UK) »
I have just been told of this letter and I am interested in the Wealands. I wonder if you could forward that information to me Thanks

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 April 09 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there and welcome to Rootschat,

Not much on this name, I'm afraid, just a snippet of social history and an occupation.

"Since the railway to Alnwick was made we have seldom had any shipping traffic. Occasionally a small vessel with artificial manure or slates comes in but there is no work now for the carters like what you and I can call to mind. When Jack and Tom Welsh, Charley Allan, Vit Wealleans (all dead) and a lot more used to load goods on the sans for Alnwick."

I'm not sure what Vit. is short for (it could be a transcription error) but if this is your family then you may know or be able to figure it out.

Christine

Offline Wendy123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 September 09 14:18 BST (UK) »
Dear Christine,

I was very excited to read your description of a letter from Alnmouth in 1878.  My great-grandfather was George Bain, born in Alnmouth and the Edward Bain to which you refer was his brother.  I have more details of what happened to Edward and Mary (nee Yearnshire) Bain if anyone is interested.  Edward and George's mother was Jane Hedley, sister to the Robert and Edward Hedley in your letter.  The illegible bit that you mentioned in a reply to anothe lister almost certainly refers to my great-grandfather, George Bain, who was a master mariner, and to his sister Mary Jane, who married a Nicholson from Almouth and moved to Gateshead.  I am happy to share my information on BAIN and HEDLEY in Alnmouth with other interested in these families.

I would be very interested to hear any more details in your letter about BAIN, HEDLEY or YEARNSHIRE families and also any more local details of Alnmouth.  It is wonderful to be able to flesh out a picture of life in those days.  It would also be really interersting to know the identity of the letter writer....?

Thanks so much for posting this information and I hope there may be more to come.

Wendy

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 September 09 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy and welcome to rootschat,

Pleased to hear that you recognise so many names.  I love this letter - just a shame I have no relatives on it.

It was written by a man called H Simpson - no christian name mentioned but his father's name was Joseph.  He and his wife kept the village shop.

If you post a couple more times on the public boards I will be able to send you a personal message and can let you have a copy of the entire letter if you would like it.

Christine

Offline jacqlineue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thomasina Garbutt (gt gran) and me aged 7 days
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 September 09 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I have Simpsons in my family.  My mother was a Simpson and it would be great to see the letter or the information in it.
These little gems from the past can tell us so much and really give an insight into the lives of folk who have long gone.

Regards

Jac
Garbutt Ashington Northumberland,
 Simpson SouthShields,
Clark Northumberland,
Dargue South Shields, 
Atkinson South Shields,
Ellis Tynemouth and Liverpool,
Sadler tynemouth,
Leathley, Routhledge,Forrest.
Herfy Germany,USA and London
Chester London and USA
Hopkins London
Hales London

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 September 09 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jac

Here is an excerpt re Simpsons.  If you think they are yours I will gladly pm you with more

Matthew Simpson, my cousin has always lived here. His wife has the shop where the Post Office was in your time and he is manager of the steam saw mills on the opposite side of the river near ?? Egdells farm house, which you will recollect.
Robert is living here, single, having made enough in London to keep him comfortably. James, you know about. George is also in Alnwick, married. He is a chemist. Their sister is my wife. Their father is dead. Robert lives with their mother. Edward Simpson, you perhaps remember. He is a grocer and baker here.

Christine

Offline Wendy123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 September 09 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,

Thanks for your rapid response.  I would love to get a copy of the whole letter from you.  Thanks so much for making this available to other folks interested in Alnmouth and its families.  Unfortunately I do not have a direct connection to the writer of your letter, but much appreciate their letter writing habit.

I will make another separate post, which will be my third and hopefully will make it possible to get the information from you.  A great entry to RootsChat.

Best wishes
Wendy

Offline Figgy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine, can you tell me about the HEATLEYS mentioned in your letter, my forebears were Henry and Mary Heatley. One daughter also called Mary married a Henry Barlow, and they lived in Alnmouth after their marriage in 1869.  Another, Ellen, married her cousin Andrew Heatley.
Also any mention of the GIBB family? Thanks, Figgy

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Figgy,  welcome to rootschat.

Only a sentence each on your family I'm afraid.

"Henry Gibb is a ship captain and lives in Newcastle"

"Henry Heatley is a draper in Alnwick"

Hope this is not too disappointing

Christine