Author Topic: Peter Lawson & Margaret Jonas Durris  (Read 7061 times)

Offline Pbeau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Lawson & Margaret Jonas Durris
« on: Sunday 01 March 09 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, seeking information on my Gt3x grandparents regarding his birthplace and parents. I came up with 2 Peter Lawsons born 1801 in Perth, Scotland. He married Margaret 12 April 1822 in Durris, his occupaton unknown. My information says he died 18 September 1830 & buried Durris churchyard however cannot find his plot?
 They had 3 children: James b 4/7/1823. Peter b 12 /4/1826. Catherine b 17/4/1828.
Would love to know when /where Margaret buried and other children. I am decended from Peter (second son) who immigrated to New Zealand died Invercargill 1900. there is extensive lineage onwards. Willing to share. Many thanks in anticipation.
Pbeau. 

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Lawson & Margaret Jonas Durris
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 March 09 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Are you sure it was Peter who died in 1830 and not Margaret.

There is a Peter Lawson marrying a Margaret Smith in Durris in 1831 who is a farmer.

This Peter and Margaret are in the 1851 census with son Peter born abt 1827 and daughter Elizabeth born 1834 still in Durris and then in 1861 iliving in Orkney with daughter Elizabeth and her husband.

If this is your Peter there should be a death cert for him which you could get from Scotlands People a pay per view site and hopefully this would show he was married twice.

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Norma

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 March 09 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

If you think this may be your Peter just to let you know I have found them on the 1871 census again in Orkney and then in Aberdeen in the 1881 census. No trace on the 1891 so presume he died between 1881 and 1891 and looks like it could be in Aberdeen.

In the 1881 census it was showing him as aged 94

If you were to put in birth year on Scotlands people I would be inclined to put in 1780-1790

Norma

Offline Isles

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 March 09 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Following on from Norma's reply a Peter Lawson died at Old Machar, Aberdeen in 1883 aged 98.  His year of birth in the certificate is 1785.

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pbeau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 March 09 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Higgsy and Isles for your information. I shall follow this up. On re- reading the records which I inherited from a distant relative it probably is  Margaret who died in 1830 at Durris.

Regards pBeau.

Offline tmpalmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 June 10 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have recently begun researching my family, and came across your post. I believe I may be descended from the same Peter and Margaret Lawson. My grandmother was Margaret Lawson, daughter of the Peter Lawson who emigrated to NZ and died 1900 in Invercargill. She married James Anderson in Invercargill. I am interested in any information on the Lawson family both in Scotland and in NZ. Thanks.

tmpalmer

Offline Ron Spence

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 March 17 20:45 BST (UK) »
Peter Lawson and Margaret Smith were my G3 Grandparents. Peter was born in about 1790 but I don't know where. He married Margaret Smith, born 1871, in 1831. He was the tenant of the farms West Funach and Mid Funach in Durris, Kincardineshire. It seems that the Lawson family farmed several farms in this parish; John had Glenhead Croft and James had East Funach. These properties are about five miles from where I built my home in Woodlands of Durris. I was born in Orkney and built my home here in 1976.
Their daughter Elizabeth, my G2 Grandmother, was born in Durris in 1834 and she married Peter Florence in Durris in 1859. Peter was the blacksmith at the Smithy at Crossroads, Durris and Elizabeth lived at Mid Funnich (Funach). I don't know why, but in about 1861, the whole family moved to Stromness, Orkney when my Great Grandmother Jessie Marr was one year old. The lived in Outertown. Jessie married William Jolly in 1880.
Peter Lawson died on 17 July 1883, Margaret Smith died after the 1871 census.
Peter Florence died in Sossiegar on 2 February 1902, Elizabeth Lawson died in Kirkwall on 14 February 1891.
I hope that this helps. I would welcome any more information or thoughts.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 April 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron and welcome to RootsChat ..Pbeau was last active on this site December 2009.. If his e-mail address is still the same he will receive a notification that you have posted  :)

Rosie