Author Topic: Extended Family in India  (Read 8149 times)

Offline petea777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Extended Family in India
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

1. Firstly to Jeff, I agree the Roots website is fantastic with some very helpful people on it. Looking on the tree and the information below both your parents were cousins (?) so that makes you Warwick and Sharyn 2nd cousins (?). So, I suspect you will uncover some real interesting information between you.

2. Brionne is not a relative but someone who helped get this thing rolling against one of my earlier posts. Thanks Brionne, I will drop her a personal email. If you look at some of the earlier posts you will see details of children that were posted. There could be others but my reckoning there were 3 girls and 5 boys.

3. My research is centred on the Anstis family (Sarah Ann Anstis was a sister to my G G/F) but the information coming out is of real interest not only for me but my father who started me off on this research. So, any further information unearthed would be fantastic!

4. As posted previously, some of Sarah Ann and Harry's children returned to the UK to stay with Aunts and Uncles before returning to India or emigrating elsewhere i.e NZ, OZ etc. or others remained in India.

5. I assume Margaret Dominy (married Dr Lt Young) was known as Netta (?) that's the name on my tree.

6. I'm not sure about the etiquette for email address's on the general site so please send me a personal posting if you prefer?

7. Sharyn. That would be fantastic if you can as I don't believe we have any of either Samuel Anstis or his sister Sarah Ann. As you are aware, my father wrote with Hilda Gane regularly and so he would be particularly interested in those. I think we would then have a "set" of pictures for his Great Uncles and Aunts. I will send you a personal response with my address if you would be kind enough to send copies on with names (if known) of course!

Great stuff!!!

Offline SelimHill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 10:55 BST (UK) »
Peter

I don't think my photograph of Annetta got through ? Incidentally, although I have many photographs of India in 1920s/30s, one which I would dearly love to see is Sarah Anne Dominy (nee Anstis). Do I take it you reside in the UK ?

Jeff

Offline petea777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeff,

Yes, up in Manchester. No I didn't receive the picture I'm afraid of Annetta. However, it would be interesting to see pictures of where Sarah Ann and Harry lived/worked in India. Do you have any that you could copy and send to me please?

I'm hoping Sharyn will be able to find some of Sarah Ann Anstis and Harry as I don't have any.

Pete

Offline SelimHill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 July 11 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete

It just dropped ! I guess you are Pete Anstis ?

I have quite a few pictures of Harry but , sadly, none, of Sarah Anne. I will check with my cousin in America just in case she has one. I don't seem able to send pictures via this chat room but can, of course, via normal personal e mail. I am now communicating well with Sharyn. I live 25 miles west of London and have an Anstis contact in Bray on Thames who approached me via the Devon Family History Society (well worth joining for the Anstis' history I suspect.

Cheers
Jeff

Offline petea777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 July 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeff,

Yes, that's correct. No, for some reason the Roots picture of Netta didn't get through so I will email you with my address so if you would be kind enough to send any pics to that and I can then view accordingly.

Glad you have made the contact with your NZ family that should prove very worthwhile I suspect. Can you let me know who your Anstis Bray contact is as that could help me further on tracking the Anstis name, perhaps you can send via my email address taht I will send that follows this message?

I aagree the Devon FHS is very useful with some very helpfull members. As your family originated from Gittisham, Devon. See Census 1841 RG No. HO107 Piece 206 Book 4 Page 3 under the name DominG!

Ok, will send a separate email shortly.

Offline Lewens Family

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 January 18 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I wonder if any of you lovely people have come across the name Yvonne or Lewens in relation to Henry Doming.  Talking to our father last night, he mentioned Henry's name in relation to his great aunt, and a link to India and Tea.  Grateful for any info x

Offline petea777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 February 18 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I haven't as its not on my direct line but I may know a person who may do as she has done much research on the Dominy family and has been to India and the very tea plantations. I'm surprised she has not picked up your post as she is on previous links. Perhaps if you send a message to sharyn555 she maybe able to assist.

Offline sharyn555

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 09 April 18 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi. petea777 mentioned me. The Henry Doming you refer to was possibly Harry Dominy, my gt gt grandfather 1850-1936. He worked on the Makaibari and Gayabari Tea Estates, and retired to Selim Hill TE where his son was manager. The name Lewens does seem familiar but a quick look through my many records didn't bring the name forward. How did your father know the name Henry Doming and what was the family connection with tea in India? Do you know the name of the great aunt? Happy to help if I can.
Sharyn