Author Topic: Lookup in Twycross anyone?  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Lookup in Twycross anyone?
« on: Monday 02 March 09 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone got access to Twycross Parish Records? Amongst other things I am looking for the birth/Baptism of William Jones which according to the 1851 and '61 census returns would have been in 1799 or 1800.
Any information would be greatly appreciated
Al

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup in Twycross anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 March 09 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Pleased to say that I discovered that Hinckley Library has the Twycross Registers so have been across and this subject is therefore closed.

Offline cms

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 March 09 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Al - did William have a sister ?
My ancestor Catherine Jones was born in Twycross in c1800/01. Any chance you have info on her parents?
Caroline
BATE, Lancashire
CASE, Lancashire
CHILWELL, Warwickshire
DRURY, Prees, Salop
McCOLL, Greenock and Appin
SMEDLEY, Nottingham
ASHWORTH, Buxton

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, am still piecing it all together but in my notes I have Catherine c1st January 1801 of William and Elizabeth Jones.
The only marriage in Twycross that I found that would fit was that of William Jones and Elizabeth Ensor on 15 July 1776, witness Elizabeth Jones. If this is the correct one then Elizabeth had children over some twenty odd years, the first being Thomas c22 April 1777 (buried 9 August 1780) and the last Catherine. If Elizabeth was eighteen when she married she would be approx forty two when Catherine was born so it is quite possible we are looking at the right thread.
Have you a marriage for Catherine as I have not picked it up yet.
The IGI says Elizabeth Ensor was born in 1755 in Twycross, I have not so far picked up a baptism for William so still plenty to do. Keep in touch with a private message.
Al

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 May 09 01:47 BST (UK) »
I am a descendent of Thomas Jones b. 1786 in Twycross and married to Ann.  They appeared to have two children, Thomas ( I am his 3xgtgranddaughter) and Sarah.  Any info anyone would like to exchange would be greatly appreciated.  I have traced some of Thomas' line, but am still working on it.  As for William *b 1755 and who married Elizabeth Ensor, I have yet to trace his parents (although I do have Elizabeth's). 
Karen Mahoney
Marriott,  Clarke,  Jones,  Atwood,  Tilson, Brewin

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 May 09 11:04 BST (UK) »
Great to hear from you Karen. I too have had problems with William's parents but believe he was born in December 1751 in nearby Congerstone to John and Elizabeth. I have looked in the Congerstone registers but many from that period are blank and unreadable so it may not be possible to prove anything.
Why Jones in that area, my feeling is that a Jones was involved in the Battle of Bosworth in 1485 and settled in the area afterwards, that is put forward as a theory for quite a lot of people and I have no reason to doubt it.
Like you I am still working on the family but send me a P. M. and we can compare notes.