Author Topic: Butler family  (Read 7845 times)

Offline kricha1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Butler family
« on: Monday 02 March 09 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hoping someone can help me to find information on my gggrandparents John Butler & Mary (Luby) Butler.  Mary Luby was born c1805 but not sure of John's DOB.  They were married c1827 and had 6 children..Mary, Pierce, Julia, Margaret, John & James.  I have found baptismal records for Mary (1829) & James (1838) in Bansha Parish.  Unfortunately, neither record lists an address or occupation for their parents, John & Mary Butler.  Family stories passed down say Mary Luby was from Clonmel & was possibly a lady in waiting or some similiar position in a household.  She was shunned by her family when she married John who was Catholic.  Supposedly, we are somehow connected to the Butlers of Kilkenny but not exactly sure how.  It is said John was murdered, crucified to a barn door by British soldiers and this was witnessed by the family.  Mary then came, as a widow, c 1840 with her six children to Ontario, Canada.  I have been successful in locating several relatives in Canada & the US but really need to find our Irish roots.    Thanks....Kathy

Offline mags c

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Butler family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have a Mary Butler who married a James Maher around 1864 in Thurles Tipperery.  I have absolutely no trace of Mary's family could she possibly be your Mary's daughter?
MaAdams, Preston Ireland,
Preston Flannigan Cunningham Craigneuk, Motherwell
Murphy Hutchinston Glasgow
Salmon Paisley
Maher Tipperary, Ireland . Maryhill Glasgow.

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Have you the marriage certificate mags c will give you father's names at least

James Maher
Registration District: Thurles
Year: 1864
Volume 8 Page 570

Mary Butler
Registration District: Thurles
Year: 1864
Volume 8 Page 570

Can order marriage cert from www.groireland.ie include the registration district, year volume and page number where you can as form is not designed specifically for this information a photocopy of the cert would be best option.

Another option is to view the marriage on here

North Tipperary Genealogy Centre

Not sure will that contain same information its a pay per view site and might save you the wait.

Ger

Offline kricha1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the responses.  Unfortunately, I don't think we're connected.  Mary Butler (born 1829) married Michael Farrell here in Canada in 1865.  I have not been able to come up with any info as to where John Butler & Mary Luby were married, or the year, but know that two of the children (oldest Mary & youngest James) were baptized in Bansha parish.  Still hoping someone will be able to make a suggestion to point me in the right direction...

Kathy Butler Richards

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Here is all of the Luby's in Griffiths Valuation

Luby Surname Griffiths South Tipp

Luby Griffiths Valuation North Tipp

Griffiths was not a Census but more of a recording of what rents paid at the time by tenants most people at the time were tenants. Only heads of house were recorded or basically the person paying the money.

If was taken around 1851 for Tippeary but gives you some idea of the Luby name popularity.

The Tithe may also help which was a record of religious tax paid in 1820's.

Of course none of this confirms family connections but is a start.

Some of the Luby's in Griffiths are within 10miles drive of Bansha.

Ger

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Templeneiry and Clonbulloge are the old Civil Parish names of the modern parish of Bansha/Kilmoyler.

Dara.

Offline kricha1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestions.....it gives me a starting point.
Merry Christmas, everyone !!!!

Kathy

Offline Maggie moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am also researching the butler family. According to family information we are the Butler's from Tipperary . I am looking for any information on a Thomas Butler born ABT 1811 Ireland  died 1881 in Montreal Quebec who married and Anastasia Costello. They had a son John Butler born December 25, 1827 in Ireland and died in Montreal Quebec in 1907. I would really love any help to discover the parents of Thomas Butler b abt. 1811 Ireland. This is where I hit a brick wall.
Thank you so much for any help,
Maggie

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 April 17 14:57 BST (UK) »
You may want to consider YDNA testing for your Butler line. I am one of the admins for the R-L226 haplogroup project - one of the three larger known haplogroups that are thought to be Irish. For those who can trace their lines back to Europe, 80 % list the following counties: Tipperrary, Clare, Limerick, Cork and Kerry. Another 10 % are across the rest of Ireland with another 10 % primarily in England and other parts of western Europe. We currently have 522 testers that are either confirmed or predicted to be L226. There is a very large surname cluster of related Butlers (17 testers). For their YSTR signature under L226, 100 % of this signature are Butlers and the genetic distance between these testers is classified as very closely related (200 to 400 years). These individuals all have genealogical summaries and trying to connect their lines together. To date, all these Irish Butlers only belong to this one branch which is quite unusual and no non-Butlers belong to this large surname cluster as well. Here is a high level summary of these Butler testers:

http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R_L226/Haplotrees/L226_Home.pdf#Page=33

It is highly recommended that you start with the 67 marker test (111 markers is not needed and 37 markers is a good test but charting is not possible with 37 markers).

https://www.familytreedna.com/products/y-dna

Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland