Author Topic: FLETT  (Read 5453 times)

Offline robflett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FLETT
« on: Tuesday 03 March 09 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Im researching my family tree and have a Paternal Great Grandfather Thomas FLETT b1852-54 Stromness married 17/02/1881 (Westminster, London) to Mary MUIR b1851 Dunfries. His father on the marriage certificate is a John FLETT Occupation Tailor (Deceased). I believe Nicol FLETT (b1802 Harray) could be the same person and John may have been a middle name and known by name there would then be a South Ronaldsay connection through his wife Margaret DUNNET.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Senior
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: FLETT
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I have replied to your Dumfriesshire posting regarding Mary Muir, but I also wonder if you have looked at the website cursiter.com, you will find your Thomas born to Nicol Flett and Margaret Dunnet . There seems to be 2 birth dates for him in June and August 1840 You will also probably find any other children they may have had.

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Senior
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 18:45 GMT (UK) »
There also seems to a date in 1852 for the same person
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline akc

• RootsChat Senior
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Also found a John Nicolson Flett born 23/5/1847 to the same parents ( on cursiter.com)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Senior
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi just me again. There seems to be 4 children born to Nicol Flett and Margaret Dunnet: John Nicolson 23/5/1847, Margaret 15/6/1843, Thomas Dunnet 30/8/1840 and Thomas Dunnet born 19/9/1852 ( possibly the first Thomas died and they gave  the last baby the same name, quite common in those days)

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 September 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
Saw your original query re Thomas Flett. I too am researching this family on behalf of someone else. Thomas Dunnet FLETT was born 19 Sep 1852. Father was Nicol Flett and mother was Margaret Dunnet, b 1811 South Ronaldsay. Thomas can be found on 1851 census and 1861 census when he is a joiner aged 18 in Stromness.

Nicol FLETT died 13 Jul 1860.

The first Thomas D Flett was born 23 Jun 1840 but suspect he died as never appears on a census.

Other children of Nicol Flett and Margaret Dunnet were Margaret b 15 Jun 1843 and John Nicolson Flett b 23 May 1847.

I am actually struggling with Nicol's father. I believe he was John FLETT who married Catherine Flett on 23 Jun 1797. But then there is a big gap between birth of Nicol and his siblings - Catherine 1821, Jane 1822 and Margaret 1825. I think their mother was Catherine/Katherine TAYLOR but I cannot find that marriage.

Anyway, hope some of this helps.
Suzie

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 September 13 21:42 BST (UK) »