Author Topic: FLETT  (Read 7371 times)

Offline robflett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FLETT
« on: Tuesday 03 March 09 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I’m researching my family tree and have a Paternal Great Grandfather – Thomas FLETT b1852-54 Stromness – married 17/02/1881 (Westminster, London) to Mary MUIR b1851 Dunfries. His father on the marriage certificate is a John FLETT – Occupation Tailor (Deceased). I believe Nicol FLETT (b1802 Harray) could be the same person and John may have been a middle name and known by name – there would then be a South Ronaldsay connection through his wife Margaret DUNNET.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: FLETT
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I have replied to your Dumfriesshire posting regarding Mary Muir, but I also wonder if you have looked at the website cursiter.com, you will find your Thomas born to Nicol Flett and Margaret Dunnet . There seems to be 2 birth dates for him in June and August 1840 You will also probably find any other children they may have had.

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 18:45 GMT (UK) »
There also seems to a date in 1852 for the same person
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Also found a John Nicolson Flett born 23/5/1847 to the same parents ( on cursiter.com)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi just me again. There seems to be 4 children born to Nicol Flett and Margaret Dunnet: John Nicolson 23/5/1847, Margaret 15/6/1843, Thomas Dunnet 30/8/1840 and Thomas Dunnet born 19/9/1852 ( possibly the first Thomas died and they gave  the last baby the same name, quite common in those days)

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 September 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
Saw your original query re Thomas Flett. I too am researching this family on behalf of someone else. Thomas Dunnet FLETT was born 19 Sep 1852. Father was Nicol Flett and mother was Margaret Dunnet, b 1811 South Ronaldsay. Thomas can be found on 1851 census and 1861 census when he is a joiner aged 18 in Stromness.

Nicol FLETT died 13 Jul 1860.

The first Thomas D Flett was born 23 Jun 1840 but suspect he died as never appears on a census.

Other children of Nicol Flett and Margaret Dunnet were Margaret b 15 Jun 1843 and John Nicolson Flett b 23 May 1847.

I am actually struggling with Nicol's father. I believe he was John FLETT who married Catherine Flett on 23 Jun 1797. But then there is a big gap between birth of Nicol and his siblings - Catherine 1821, Jane 1822 and Margaret 1825. I think their mother was Catherine/Katherine TAYLOR but I cannot find that marriage.

Anyway, hope some of this helps.
Suzie

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 September 13 21:42 BST (UK) »