Author Topic: McLellan, McLelland, McClellan, McLelland, MacLellan etc. etc.  (Read 38670 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McLellan, McLelland, McClellan, McLelland, MacLellan etc. etc.
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 30 April 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
No I don't have her death cert, she married again to James McKendrie.  Do ypu think it might be worth it?
Cheers Abiam

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 30 April 09 15:11 BST (UK) »
It might just help to confirm her age, sometimes you get lucky with the informant knowing a lot of correct details.

There is a probable match on SP,  Ev* Mckendrie, mother's maiden name Stewart, birth 1890+/- 3 yrs
1987 Glasgow. looks like she lived to a ripe old age if it is her.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 30 April 09 15:37 BST (UK) »
That's her!  The friend I am doing this for said 1987 but as she knows so little I thought she had it wrong!  I had a quick look on SP but couldn't find her.  Will have another go and let you know,
Cheers,

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 30 April 09 15:59 BST (UK) »
I have found the extract and I'm sure it's her so I was going to order the cert.  But it's 10 pounds and my friend has decided to leave it there so I shall not order it.
Now I'm wondering if she spells her name Evaline maybe that's why we can't find her on the census, will have a last look!
Abiam

Offline Blackpark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 27 September 15 18:47 BST (UK) »
I have a photo of a headstone in Wigtown cemetery showing William McClelland and Mary Mcclumpha's grave.
I think they may be my great grandparents as they were from Blackpark Castle Douglas which was my grandparents farm. My family still live there today. I thought this may be of interest.Especially a son who died in Canada and wondered if he had a family over there before he died?

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 28 September 15 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi. I noticed that your byname is 'Blackpark' and you are researching McClellands. I have McClellands [my grandfather's aunt married one and he was raised by her after his mother died] the McClellands of Blackpark at Castle-Douglas are related

Ian A McClumpha

Offline Blackpark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 28 September 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
Ian,Was your grandfather's aunt Mary McClumpha?She was my great grandmother .I am trying to trace my grandfather's brothers and sisters, I know there was Agnes and Alexander as they are buried in the same grave as William and Mary in Wigtown. Also like to know when they came to Blackpark from Wigtownshire?Thanks.

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 28 September 15 23:57 BST (UK) »
yes, Mary was my grandfather's aunt.  I remember visiting Blackpark about 1970 when I was an agricultural salesman. I remembered my grandfather telling me about a wooden stool bank with an inscription.  Joseph McClumpha [it might have been Samuel] is no fool, he keeps his money in this stool. It was at Blackpark and I recited the inscription before I saw it. Later, I asked my grandfather where he saw it and he told me he never had, He had been told about it when he was a kid.

If you google "imchad ancestry" you can email me. I have done a little on the McClellands.

Best wishes

Ian

Offline davidmilroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 09 July 22 13:01 BST (UK) »
This old thread might well be "dead" by now but I'm adding my tuppenceworth as I have a direct interest in this McClelland line. The Samuel McClelland mentioned here is brother to my 2nd great grandfather Andrew. Their father is the slightly problematic Samuel/John married to Roseanna etc. Donnan. Potential alternate spellings are a nightmare. Here is my comment relating to Andrew's record in my Ancestry tree. This will either help, hinder or drift in the ether: -

"My 2nd great grandfather. The records are not entirely conclusive. The OPR birth/baptism record for 1806 in New Luce indicates his parents as Samuel Clellan and Rosannah Dannan. His statutory death record gives John McClelland and Roseanna Donnan as parents and a possible birth year (working back from given age) of 1808. Census records offer very varied estimated birth years from 1804-1816 but consistently give his birth place as New Luce. Samuel Clellan vs. John McClelland does not present a straight forward reconciliation. Rosannah Dannan vs. Roseanna Donnan seems a bit easier to reconcile. On balance, I consider that this record is probably an accurate picture and consider it complete."
Wigtown:Milroy,Paterson,McClelland,Kelly/Miskelly,McPherson,Dodds,McCulloch,Stewart,Broadfoot,Donnan,Carnochan,Agnew,Blair/Blain,Jackson,Brown,McGill,Montgomery,Davidson,Donaldson
Lanark:Kay,Young,McAllister,Muir,Buchanan
Kirkcudbright:Hutchison,Robertson
Renfrew:Loudon,Harper,Miller,Anderson
Fife:Barnett,Mcdonald,Thomson,Lumsden,Wood,Pryde,Melville,Stevenson,Inglis
Moray:Sutherland,Waite
Stirling:Sharp,Grosart,Gray,Mitchell,Morison
Berwick:Craig
Ayr:Kennedy,Barclay,McKenna
Kinross:Henderson