Author Topic: Eatons in Llanddewi Llandinam Dolau  (Read 15550 times)

Offline jakesjag

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eatons in Llanddewi Llandinam Dolau
« on: Wednesday 04 March 09 13:14 GMT (UK) »
I am just starting research on my Eaton family for Wales.  We moved to the UK last year from the US and are planning to visit area where they lived.

John and Joan Eaton lived in Llanddewi and attended the Dolau Baptist Church.  They moved to America in either 1638 or 1686.    I have had posted a request for any church records for the Dolau Baptist Church or Chapel.   I would like to visit the church and see if I can find where they were buried.  Is it possible to learn where they lived this far back?

Johns Grandfather, George Eaton married Ellen Hatfield and lived in Llandinam.   I am not sure where to start with them.

I would appreciate any information on sources to research before the trip.  We live in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire which I think is about 3 1/2 hours away.

Thank you for any information
Marilyn

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Eatons in Llanddewi Llandinam Dolau
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 March 09 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Lucky for you Llandewi and Dolau are only tiny villages now so must have been smaller that far back!

Offline dot402001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 19:49 BST (UK) »
Marilyn
 We may be researching the same family. My John and Joan are parents of George. He was born in Pennsylvania abt. 1686. Any of this familiar to you?

Dot

Offline jakesjag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Dot -

Yes we are!!  I just visited towns of John and Joan Eaton a couple of weeks ago.   Feel free to e-mail me at (*)

Marilyn

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Hugh BlacK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 April 09 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
I was brought up in Dolau the graveyard is quite small and would love to hear how you get on.
I might be able to supply a little local knowledge

Offline jakesjag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 April 09 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Hugh -

We had a wonderful time in Wales.  It was so great to see the places that we have heard about. 

The Eaton family lived at Nantmel.  Close by was a farm called the Dolau Farm which is where the Baptists met for church services.  After the Eatons went to America in 1686 a church building was built across the street. It has a small cemetery around it but none of the tombstones go back as far as the 1600's.    We also visited the Church of England church at Nantmel but did not find any tombstones back that far either.  From the looks of ones we saw, the tombstones may not have lasted that long.  We visited Llanddewi too as the Eatons lived there.  I joined the Powys Family History Society which puts out a very nice newsletter - really a small book and has dones a lot of books with information but most don't go back this far.

At one point we got lost and saw a sign for Dolau so followed it and came to a village.  I am not sure how close we were to the farm house but it seemed perhaps a couple of miles.

We met with the church secretary of the Baptist Church who told us she always understood the Eatons lived on house up on a hill so we went up and took pictures.  Hopefully same day we will find out for sure.

I  put pictures of our trip on google but just realized I could attach some here so have put the ones of the Dolau Farmhouse and the Dolau Baptist Church which is across the street.

Thanks
Marilyn

Offline calebleaton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 December 09 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am an American descendant of the Welsh Eaton line. I have traced my lineage all the way back to the first Eaton's to settle in Pennepek, PA but I have very little information about them before the emigration. Do you have any web resources you can share? Has any link between these Eatons and the Eatons of Cheshire ever been discovered? Any information you can share with me will be very appreciated.

Offline bfitzsenry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 January 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Still believe that George Eaton and Ellen/Elin Hatfield were perhaps the grandparents of the John who came to America and that they possibly originated in Cheshire before the reformation.  Also believe that they are connected to the Cheshire family of Theophilus Eaton as DNA markers show a close proximity although difficult to pinpoint prior to 1600, as well as to the family of Rhuabon/Watstay/Wynnstay, who were visited by the descending caretaker of Theophilus' family homes in Cheshire.  Am currently trying to create a more established database regarding these lineages connecting the dots as I go along.  I know if I can connect one, I can connect all.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Barbara

Offline fmoore

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 17:48 GMT (UK) »
This is my first post.  I have recently been in touch with Barbara (bfitzsenry).  I'm involved with the Pennepack Baptist Historical Foundation as well as with the church, the formation of which   would probably not have happened without the Eatons and Samuel Jones settling on the banks of Pennypack Creek.  In preparation for the 325th anniversary (June 1&2, 2013) of the church, I'm seeking a thorough understanding of its beginning.  When, where, and why.

I'd like to confirm the date of the Eatons’ (et al) arrival in Pennsylvania and to eventually determine where they lived on Pennypack Creek and why they chose this remote (though not uncommonly remote) location.   

The frequently used 1686 arrival date comes from Morgan Edwards  Materials Towards a History of the Baptist in Pennsylvania, 1770, pg 7:

“About the year 1686, one John Eaton, George Eaton and Jane his wife, Sarah Eaton and Samuel Jones (members of a Baptist church residing in Llanddewi and Mantmel in Radnorshire whereof Rev. Henry Gregory was overseer), also John Baker (member of a church in Kilkenny in Ireland whereof Rev. Christopher Blackwell was pastor) and one Samuel Vans from England arrived, and settled on the banks of Pennepek.”

This source is clearly used by David Benedict in his 1813 History and by Jonathan Davis (aka John Jones??) in his 1835 History.  Presumably using Morgan Edwards, Davis states (pg 67) rather definitively that:

“By reason of most cruel persecution at home, Samuel Jones, John Eaton, George Eaton and Jane his wife, and Sarah Eaton, all members of the church at Dolau, with their families, and other friends and relatives, went to America in the year 1686, two years before the end of the persecution in Wales, and settled on the banks of Penepeck, Pennsylvania. John Baker, a member of the Baptist church at Kilkenny, Ireland, and Samuel Vaus, a. member of a Baptist church in England, also arrived and settled with them.”

The inclusion of Baker and Vaus (ie, Vans) strongly suggests the M Edwards source.

Morgan Edwards'  “arrived, and settled on the banks of Pennepek”  “about the year 1686” does not preclude an earlier arrival elsewhere in Philadelphia.

Hywel M. Davies states in his Transatlantic Brethren: Rev. Samuel Jones (1735-1814) and His Friends, 1995 , pg 43:

“George Eaton's Bible records that they left Llandewi on 1 August
1683 for their journey to the port of Milford Haven in Pembrokeshire.
They arrived in Philadelphia on 3 November.”

That seems to be the only source of the 1683 date.  Where is the Eaton’s Bible now?

Is there evidence of a ship departing Milford Haven about August 1683 and arriving Philadelphia November 3, 1683?

[Btw, the Samuel Jones (1735-1814) in the title of Davies’ book is not the Samuel Jones (1657-1722) who came with the Eatons.  Two or three generations apart and apparently unrelated, they were both from Wales and were each extremely important in the history of Pennpack Baptist.]

I have many more questions.  But one at a time.

Thanks.

Fred