Author Topic: Paisley Burial Grounds  (Read 10726 times)

Offline McDonald_George

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Paisley Burial Grounds
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 December 09 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, searching for any burial records or family connections for Janet MacGibbon or McGibbon who married James MacDonald or McDonald in 1807 (Paisley Middle). Both born abt.1785
Their children:
John b.1808 - Mary b.1810 - Janet b.1813 - James b.1815 - Neil b.1817 - Jean b.1819 - William b.1821 (All born - Paisley Burgh Low)

My gt-gt-grandfather James Mc/MacDonald (b.1815) married Margaret Wilson in Paisley about 1840. ( Both are interred at Woodside cemetery - Paisley)

Any help appreciated. Thanks  :)

Offline bullywee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 January 10 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi George,
I am not aware of any link between our McGibbons as my family did not move down from Stirlingshire until after 1808.
My next source puts them in Thornliebank around 1820.

Sorry not to be of help.
Bullywee
McGibbon, Maltman, Sturgeon, Bogle
Wilson, Laurie, Hunter, Turner, Fagan, Docherty (Dougherty), Aitken, Fraser, Gibson, Paterson, Waddell

Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire, Stirlingshire

Offline TomMcPherson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 09:41 GMT (UK) »
hi i found this site it may be of help
www.findagraveinscotland.com

Offline matth364

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 November 16 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Woodside opened around 1845 and Hawkhead around 1891 but some of the churches had their own burial grounds - although many of these buildings are no longer in use as churches.   St Columbas gaelic Church/chapel in Oakshaw Street had some - the building is now a private dwelling. The High Kirk (now the Trinity Church)at the top of Church Hill also has a small burial section. 

***The Laigh Kirk (Low Church) at the bottom of New Street also had a burial ground, but this building has been converted to an Arts centre and the stones moved.

There is another well overgrown burial ground at the top of School Wynd where it meets Meeting House Lane - it's a big square building and was last being used as a warehouse (may have changed now as its been 3 years since I was in that area) and of course not forgetting the area around the Abbey.
Hello from Canada - regarding this post from several years ago, my ancestor was buried in Laigh Kirk in 1841, but I've been unable to find her name listed in any free transcriptions for this church (or any others in Paisley).  Before I go to the Council offices, I'm curious about your comment that 'the stones were moved'.  Would you know - to where?  Many thanks.  Jean in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. 

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 November 16 10:34 GMT (UK) »

Hello from Canada - regarding this post from several years ago, my ancestor was buried in Laigh Kirk in 1841, but I've been unable to find her name listed in any free transcriptions for this church (or any others in Paisley).  Before I go to the Council offices, I'm curious about your comment that 'the stones were moved'.  Would you know - to where?  Many thanks.  Jean in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Many of the larger stones are still in the grounds - and have been adopted for use as seats and tables by those frequenting the Arts Centre.  :-X  :-X
Some smaller stones have been moved to the side walls and are still on site while some were moved to Hawkhead Cemetery.

Offline matth364

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 November 16 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much!!