Author Topic: Waterloo ancestors  (Read 32301 times)

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waterloo ancestors
« on: Wednesday 04 March 09 17:23 GMT (UK) »
If you have any ancestors who fought at Waterloo (or you wonder if they might have done!) I'd be very interested to hear from you.

I keep a database of all BRITISH combatants and am always looking for more data to add.

Many thanks

Martin Aaron

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin
What sort of info do you need? I have this from Kew on my 3x greatUncle (Discharge paper)

NAS entry WO97/1001/34
James Jaffrey, born Barony, Lanarkshire, served in the 91st Regiment 1811-1826, aged 35 on discharge.
Served at Waterloo and in Jamaica
Discharged in consequence of Dropsy and visceral disease after nearly 16 years service
Described as 5'7", brown hair, dark eyes, brown complexion

Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paul-44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 March 09 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I recently found one of my ancesters deat certificate and it states that he was a pensioner from the 2nd Dragoons. He died at 1 Thorn Court, Lord Street, Hulme on 21 January 1847.
His name was Robert Hunter, aged 76 when he died.
I found a Private Robt Hunter on the 1815 Waterloo medal roll on Findmypast.com

That's all I know about Robert and am guessing they are one in the same.
Living with him on the 1841 census was a William Hunter aged 15.
It states Robert as born in Scotland but William as born in Lancashire.
Can you confirm anything or provide any further knowledge?

Thanks
Paul

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 March 09 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul
As you say, there was a Robert Hunter at Waterloo in the Scots Greys, born Kelso, Roxburgh. Enlisted 1805. Discharged 1816 aged 26.

These dates don't seem to tally with your chap as he would only have been around 57 years old in 1847.

Seems odd though, perhaps the dates are wrong?  Or perhaps your Robert Hunter was the father of the Robert Hunter at Waterloo, it was  quite a family regiment and there are 4 men named Hunter in the Scots Greys at Waterloo.

The Robert Hunter at Waterloo was in No.6 Fenton's Troop which suffered the worst casualties of the Regiment  - 41 casualties out of a nominal strength of 76 men (more like 55 actually in action) - with 18 killed, 5 died of wounds, 18 other wounded.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards
Martin

Offline Paul-44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 March 09 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

I have just been on the National Archives website and in WO97/70 they have a Robert Hunter, born NEWTON, Ayrshire, who served in the 2nd Dragoons. Discharged aged 52.
It then states the Covering dates 1793-1824. I assume he was 52 in 1824 which gves him a birth date of around 1772 which could make him my ancester.
It would therefore assum he did not go to Waterloo but as you say the other Rober Hunter could be a relative?

Thanks again
Paul

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 March 09 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin, I don't know if you can throw any light on this.

Just before Christmas I had an interesting phone call from my cousin. He took a bag of his dad's second World War medals to show the boys at the Boys' Brigade he helps run. One of the other helpers there is a history teacher. Anyway amongst the medals were two they didn't recognise and when they looked closer one was a Waterloo Campaign medal and the other was from the American War of Independence both for a John Mills, First Battalion, 4th Regiment of Foot.

I then started to trace the family back and got back to an Edmund Mills born in Barbados in 1822, I think this may have been John's son as I believe the regiment were in the West Indies.

Can you help at all?

Jan

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline llama llady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I believe my 3x great grandfather Benjamin Piers Gilbert born 1787 may have fought at Waterloo. There is a family story that he “blew the charge”. I know that for a time he was principle trumpeter in King George IV’s private orchestra, but apart from that I can find nothing on him.
Any information, especially on Waterloo would be gratefully received.
Thanks, Louise.

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Just before Christmas I had an interesting phone call from my cousin. He took a bag of his dad's second World War medals to show the boys at the Boys' Brigade he helps run. One of the other helpers there is a history teacher. Anyway amongst the medals were two they didn't recognise and when they looked closer one was a Waterloo Campaign medal and the other was from the American War of Independence both for a John Mills, First Battalion, 4th Regiment of Foot.

I then started to trace the family back and got back to an Edmund Mills born in Barbados in 1822, I think this may have been John's son as I believe the regiment were in the West Indies.

Can you help at all?

Jan

Perhaps I can field that one till Martin comes along.  :)
Do you have a description of this mystery second medal?

Assuming it's to the same chap, John Mills, 1/4th F, it's most unlikely to be from the American War of Independence which was fully 40 years prior to Waterloo. If he was old enough to be fighting in America in 1775ish, he would be pushing 60 at the youngest at the time of Waterloo!! Most unlikely indeed  ::)

More plausibly it's something to do with the War of 1812 (which continued into 1814 and 1815 despite its name). The 1/4th Foot were on the Atlantic coast of the US in 1814 (battle of Bladensburg and other minor actions) and then in the New Orleans campaign in Jan 1815.

However (another fly in the ointment  ;D), there was no campaign medal that covered those particular actions. The later Military General Service Medal covered some actions from the War of 1812, but not Bladensburg or New Orleans.
Just before going to the US though, the 1/4th were fighting their way through Spain in the Peninsular War (a busy time!). So my best bet it that it's an MGS for the Spanish campaigns, although if thats true there would be no immediately obvious American connection from looking at the medal itself  ???
If you have a description I'm sure we can clear up the uncertainty.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I believe my 3x great grandfather Benjamin Piers Gilbert born 1787 may have fought at Waterloo. There is a family story that he “blew the charge”. I know that for a time he was principle trumpeter in King George IV’s private orchestra, but apart from that I can find nothing on him.
Any information, especially on Waterloo would be gratefully received.
Thanks, Louise.

Louise,
Trumpet-Major Benjamin Gilbert, 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons  :D
The "charge" referred to was the famous Charge of the Union Brigade at Waterloo.

Union Brigade - 1st Royal Dragoons, 2nd Royal North British Dragoons (Scots Greys) and 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons

There should be lots on info on the charge if you google it, but here's one to start you off
http://waterloobattletours.users.btopenworld.com/index_files/Page4615.htm
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals