Author Topic: Waterloo ancestors  (Read 32254 times)

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo ancestors
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 March 09 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb
No, the 4th Light Dragoons were not at Waterloo.

Regards
Martin

Offline llama llady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 March 09 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help Martin,

Louise.

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 March 09 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Martin  :)
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline shieldhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 October 09 14:35 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor Alexander Campbell born Tyree c1772 married to Catherine McLean. Her death certificate says he was soldier in 79th Reg of Foot. He is not in 1841 census but she is listed as an annuitant. Someone says they read on a message board that he was killed at Waterloo. Is there any way to confirm this.

Thanks

Martin   

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 October 09 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

Joseph Bastow (b. 1789, Yorkshire) was a Private in the Household Cavalry Royal Regiment of Horse Guards, serving in Captain J. Thoyt's Troop at the Battle of Waterloo.  When he retired, he converted a few houses in Meltham, Yorks into a public house called "The Life Guardsman".  He was also a boot and shoemaker.  He was married to Hannah Wilson and later to Martha Pearson and had 15 children in total (how did he have the time or energy!!).

Do you have any further info about him (dates, etc.)?

Arkay
Travis, Earnshaw, Wild, Hibbert, Warren, Leech - Ashton-under-Lyne
Mills, Fallows - Middleton
Pryce, Evans - Welshpool, Mgy, Wales
Davies - Criggion, Shropshire
Whittaker, Evans, Benussi - Liverpool
Price, Whittaker - Great Crosby
Atherton - Frodsham, Cheshire
Riley - Huddersfield area, Yorkshire

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 09 October 09 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm afraid I still have really mastered RootsChat and how to post separate replies so here goes for both of you! Apologies!

First, there were 3 men named Alexander Campbell in the 79th at Waterloo. One was killed in the battle, one died of his wounds on 11th September (nearly 3 months later) and one was wounded but survived. There is a man of this name on the discharge lists (WO97) but with such a common name (there were dozens of Campbells in the 79th) I would hesitate to say with any certainty that this is your man. Worth a look though perhaps.

Worse still for Private Bastow I'm sorry to say - I don't have any other personal details. His troop (Thoyt's)suffered the worst casualties of the Blues with 20 killed or missing from a nominal strength of 77.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Martin

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 09 October 09 22:38 BST (UK) »
Don't worry, Martin.  At least I now know the approximate number in his troop, how many were killed or missing and that they were called the "Blues", which is more than I knew before!

Thank you.

Arkay
Travis, Earnshaw, Wild, Hibbert, Warren, Leech - Ashton-under-Lyne
Mills, Fallows - Middleton
Pryce, Evans - Welshpool, Mgy, Wales
Davies - Criggion, Shropshire
Whittaker, Evans, Benussi - Liverpool
Price, Whittaker - Great Crosby
Atherton - Frodsham, Cheshire
Riley - Huddersfield area, Yorkshire

Offline shieldhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 09 October 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the quick response. Do you think there is significance in the fact his widow received an annuity. He was I believe a private.

Martin K

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 10 October 09 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

My 3 x great grandfather William Langdale was a corporal in the 11th Light Dragoons and stood around at Waterloo. I found him on the list at the national archives and also on this web page :
http://valmayukuk.tripod.com/britishfamily/id19.html which lists quite a few more participants.
William's children were born at locations which mirror the movements of his regiment - Canterbury, Paris and Meerut - and he left a will when he died in 1830 as a serjeant in the regiment at Cawnpore in India (which I obtained from the National Archives).
I know his wife's name was Jane but haven't a clue where he or she originated or Jane's maiden name. Any further information would be very welcome.

Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......