Author Topic: Waterloo ancestors  (Read 32308 times)

Offline Doire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo ancestors
« Reply #72 on: Friday 13 April 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, my 3xGt grandfather DAVID SIMPSON was at Waterloo and the person I believe to be my relative
was in Bull's Troop but as yet I have no confirmation that this is the right person.

As you can read from my post my information is from a book written by T H Mullin which gives me info on my 4xGt Grandfather who was also David Simpson and also all the generations to the present  date.

I would be very interested if any further info comes to light.

Sorry I can not add anything further.

Regards.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 14 April 18 01:53 BST (UK) »
Martin has other threads about Waterloo. Click on his name and you will be taken to his profile. Then click on "Show posts". He was last on RootsChat a year ago.
Cowban

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 04:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just found your posting, I am very interested to find out more about my GGG Grandfather Henry Rufey b. 1777 Donnington, Berkshire.   He married Phebe Burgess in 1819, when he was 41 years of age.    Have just had a hint placed on Ancestry for a Henry Rufey, his birthplace indicated as Donnelton, Berkshire and also indicating that he was discharged from the 35th Regiment of Foot in 1818, after serving 23 years in this Regiment.   According to these records, he enlisted in 1795 with the 82nd Regiment of Foot at Gibraltar.     
I am trying to find more information on his service.   Am pretty sure that this is our man, the birth year and Berkshire area appears to coincide, and being discharged in 1818, marrying next year.
So if you can assist me with any information on where his service may have been, would really appreciate that.
Regards Jan
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline Debbie Crookes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I believe I am a relation of Thomas Sheldon also, being a direct descendant of his father's brother George. Would you be prepared to share some info? I have been to Waterloo as a re-enactor so it would be amazing to see his record.

Thanks.

Offline robertalan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 24 August 19 00:08 BST (UK) »
I am seeking details of a private John Livingstone who fought at WAterloo and his possible descents.

Offline tonyb0504

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 20 November 20 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi "shieldhall",
I am new to this site and saw your post. I believe I could be the 6th great grandson of Alexander Campbell and Catherine McLean. I am very keen to learn what you found out.
Kind regards
Anthony Bradford, Sydney

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 25 September 21 00:22 BST (UK) »
I am seeking details of a private John Livingstone who fought at WAterloo and his possible descents.
Hi, It would appear that your man was serving with the 2nd Regiment of Dragoons at Waterloo - if you need further information, please get in touch. 

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 25 September 21 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi , I have just found that my 4th Great Grandfather John Hainsworth ( Ainsworth ) joined the Royal Horse Guards Blues in 1806. He was also at Waterloo.

It has answered some of my questions such as why he married a girl from Windsor but as usual in genealogy has created a thousand more.

Now I have found that he was awarded the Waterloo medal but I found John Hainsworths on Findmypast. One was for captain Claytons troop , the other Captain Thayts Troop. Is he one and the same or are there two John Hainsworths?

I am also still searching for his marriage and from parish records I know he had a daughter born in 1812 but where, I have her burial which gives me a date of birth and states her parents were John and Mary .

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated

Sarah
Hi, Sarah Both men served at Waterloo.

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Sunday 26 September 21 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
"Yes" you are correct, both men served at Waterloo with the Royal Horse Guards. One served In Clayton's troop and was from Halifax, Yorkshire.  He too enlisted in 1806 but was discharged in 1828.
Your man served in Thoyt's troop. The information I have is, he was born in Barrow upon Soar, Leicestershire and enlisted into the Royal Horse Guards on 12th March 1806. He saw service with the regiment during the Peninsular war and was present at the battle of Vittoria on 21st June 1813. Hainsworth then served during the Waterloo campaign of 1815, before being discharged to pension aged 31, in December1818.
In 1851 he was living in Barrow upon Soar, with his wife 'Mary' and children.
Sometime later Hainsworth was living with his son, in Horsham, Sussex.  He died at Greenwich in 1867. 
He was entitled to two medals - The Military General Service medal with bar for 'Vittoria' and the Waterloo medal. I have no record of either medal being sold at auction.
I hope this information is of help.
Regards   Ed