Author Topic: Trimley St Mary’s Parish Registers -TURTILL (TURTLE)  (Read 1080 times)

Offline KevTheGreenMan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trimley St Mary’s Parish Registers -TURTILL (TURTLE)
« on: Thursday 05 March 09 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for info on the parents, birth/baptism and hopefully siblings, of James Turtill (born c.1750) who married Elizabeth Downing of Bromeswell, in Bromeswell, Nov 3 1771. They lived in Trimley St. Mary as inn keepers at the Mariners from about 1773. I've searched the registers of all the parishes for miles around both sides of the Deben + Ipswich & Woodbridge but get the horrible feeling I've missed something... here's a tantalising snippet from the Trimley St. Mary parish register and the earliest date I can get : James son of William and Mary Turtle Bapt. July 8 1769 in Trimley St. Mary - if this is the same person,  he would have been nineteen years old when he was baptised! (He died 27/5/1809 aged 59). The only William and Mary Turtle I can find of the right vintage to be parents were married 14 Oct 1745 in  Dauntsey, Wiltshire, this doesn't seem right. Can find nothing else. Help please!

Kevin.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Yi Win

• RootsChat Senior
  • de Blunvil - Blomvyle - Blomfield - Bloomfield
    • View Profile
Re: Trimley St Mary’s Parish Registers -TURTILL (TURTLE)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 March 09 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I cant help with tracing anything but are you looking at a copy of the parish records or the original - I've noticed when I'm looking at copies that the person who copied them isnt always clear on dates and in my case put all the siblings being baptised at the same date - when I traced the birth records and cross referenced them to the bapt dates the youngest was baptised at 3 and the eldest at 24 - I suppose this is possible but I think the scribe most likely copied a whole page out and put them all under one date as there were lots of others not related baptised on the same date - too many for one church to get through in a day!!!
de Blunvil, Blomville. Blomvyle, Blomfield, Bloomfield, Gotterson, Tuck, de Burgh,

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline KevTheGreenMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 March 09 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking at microfiche of the originals at Suffolk Records Office, Lowestoft branch. Thanks for the interest.

Offline Yi Win

• RootsChat Senior
  • de Blunvil - Blomvyle - Blomfield - Bloomfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 March 09 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Good Luck!!!
de Blunvil, Blomville. Blomvyle, Blomfield, Bloomfield, Gotterson, Tuck, de Burgh,

Offline AlanTerapin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 18 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I know your original post is now  9 years old which means you may have solved your problem. I have carried out extensive on-line studies of the Turtles in Suffolk. My records show that "James son of William and Mary Turtle Bapt. July 8 1769 in Trimley St. Mary" is a completely separate family and not related to  James Turtill (born c.1750) who married Elizabeth Downing of Bromeswell, in Bromeswell, Nov 3 1771.

I am afraid I do not know the parents of James Turtill 1750-1800 who married Elizabeth Downing but I have their son James Turtill 1773-1816 who married Mary Smyth at Trimley St Mary in 1794 and their daughter Mary Turtill 1772 baptised 23 Feb 1772 at St Edmund Bromeswell. hope this helps.