Author Topic: 1891 - Absolutely desperate!  (Read 3134 times)

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 - Absolutely desperate!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Richard,

Thank you, I would be grateful.

Paul,

James G Atkinson married Caroline Burr in October 1881, so I have no reason to suspect they would be under her maiden name.  However, as I can't find them under Atkinson, anything is possible.

Audrey,

I thought your reply on Fever Hospitals was interesting.  But I would have thought that they were extremely rigourous with their census collection.  But thanks for that - I will have to look into it.  It's nice to have some 'background'.

Regards

KA

Offline Richard Swaffield

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Although the 'keyword' field did not work the same way in the 1891, I took Paul's suggestions and noted some of the other families living at the same address in 1881. I was then able to find them in 1891. Unfortunately, there are no Atkinsons or similar at that address, or in the houses next door.

At 17 Victoria Street, Gateshead are the Hamiltons, the Hobsons and the Wind familes.

Regards
Richard.

Swaffield (Thorncombe & Broadwindsor)
Hoy (Romford & Matching)
Sargeant (Cambridgeshire)
Otway (Norfolk)
Stephens (Cornwall)

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Richard,

Another theory dashed!  Thanks for trying.  At least I have found another place where they are not.  By this process of elimination I should catch up with them in about 30 years time. I'll try for Caroline's birth certificate (she died at one year old) - maybe that will have an address on it that will yield a result.

It's almost as if they don't want to be found.

Regards

KA

Offline Richard Swaffield

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You mentioned the marriage in 1881 to Caroline Burr - is this it ? It has an unusual spelling :

Achinson, James Grieves 1881 December Marriages Gateshead
Swaffield (Thorncombe & Broadwindsor)
Hoy (Romford & Matching)
Sargeant (Cambridgeshire)
Otway (Norfolk)
Stephens (Cornwall)

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Richard,

Yes, that's it.  But it was a mistranscription in the register.  Their name was actually Atkinson, and it is Atkinson on the certificate.

KA

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Were they all born in Gateshead?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 20:29 GMT (UK) »
James was born in Newcastle upon Tyne (Hanover Street to be precise).

His wife, Caroline, was born Gateshead (57 Church Street).

As far as the known children were concerned.

Minnie was christened St Nicholas, Newcastle, 1886
Margaret Jane was born Gateshead and christened South Shields 1888
Caroline was born 1890 in South Shields.  However died in August 1891 in Gateshead.

Regards

KA

Paul E

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi KA

Despite having (I think) found Caroline in 1871 and 1881, it didn't add much to the picture!

This is a real toughie and unless she's hiding under a hideous mistranscription somewhere its hard to know where to take this forward.  There were only 43 Carolines showing as born Gateshead / living Gateshead in 1891, and of these none was even a close age match to your Caroline (only 3 were over 19!)

Was James a jobbing hairdresser or did he have his own shop?  If they were reasonably well-to-do, could he and his family have gone abroad for a spell for some purer air?

There's no obvious sign of any of the children in 1891 either.

You say you have found the family, scattered, in 1901.  Does this include Caroline?

Having spent an hour or two puzzling this one, and having consumed more than my usual quota of red wine, I think I have a little appreciation of frustrations you must have faced with this family! :)

It might be worth collecting all you have got into one posting on a new thread, and hope that the 'big guns' on Rootschat can crack it!  I don't feel up to the task I'm afraid!

It might be worth examining the later material you've got again.   With such a plethora of Atkinsons in the area its a tricky one.

Where does James show up as a hairdresser?  What is your source for him having TB?  Where does the 'probable' Robert come into things?

Maybe James is hiding out there, but he's not making himself obvious yet!

Good luck and best wishes

Paul

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Paul,

Sorry to have driven you to drink.  I have consumed a fair amount whilst tackling this family too.

I appreciate your comments.  Just to answer a couple of your questions.

James is a hairdresser in 1881 census, on a son's birth certificate, and on his death certificate.  His siblings seem to have gone into manual labour, so I assume his TB tendencies were showing early, and a 'lighter' career was chosen.  Several other Atkinsons have been found in Gateshead with the same profession.  Don't know if he was connected and 'invited' to join.

Certainly not enough money to move to 'clearer air'.  Audrey's suggestion of an isolation hospital would be nearer the mark I think. TB as cause of death is on his death cert.

Robert appears in 1901 Census.  Caroline is widow and head of house.  Robert b. 1885 and Georgina b. 1895 are down as son and daughter.  But I can't find the IGI records for these.  Whereas I can for Minnie, Margaret and Jane.  In the 1901 Minnie is in a 'special school', I think I've found Margaret, age 13 living elsewhere, and Caroline has died.

Going back to Caroline (wife) Burr.
In 1871 she was with her aunt and uncle, Caroline and Richard Burr, in Durham.
In 1881 she was a servant in Gateshead.  Don't know if it was these you found.

Anyway, thank for your help, time, trouble, and the donation of wine.

Regards

KA