Author Topic: Griffin, MacCann, Caulfield and Horan: Kilmovee  (Read 11025 times)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Griffin, MacCann, Caulfield and Horan: Kilmovee
« on: Tuesday 15 February 05 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any info concerning John Griffin (farmer) and Mary MacCann, who married in Kilmovee in 1840.  One known son: Michael, b. 1847.  Also John Caulfield and Honor Horan, who married prior to 1849.  One known child: Mary Ann, b. 1849.  Thomas Caulfield, b. 1865 is also part of this family.  Michael and Mary Ann married in 1872, and their son Thomas came to Manchester in the 1890's.
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skaville

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Griffin, MacCann, Caulfield and Horan: Kilmovee
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 05 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hiya. I have a list of baptisms from Uggool, Kilmovee that include some Griffins. Do you want me to send you the list thru email? Mine are the O'Donnell/Regans.

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 March 05 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - that would be great.  Will send a PM with my e-mail address.

MR
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline Pat38

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Manchester Rambler
I have just come across your post from 2005. I know it is 10 years old but I can see you are still active on this site.
I have been researching my HIGGINS family for a number of years. My Grandfather was JAMES HIGGINS born about 1871 in County Mayo who went to Prescot, Lancashire before 1901 and then to Liverpool around 1905 and died there in 1938. From his Marriage Certificate I found his father was JAMES HIGGINS a farmer.
After having looked at all the JAMES HIGGINS who had a son James who was not on the Irish 1901 Census and who had not died I am pretty certain that the JAMES HIGGINS who married BRIDGET GRIFFIN on 17 February 1857 at Kilmovee RC Church are my Great Grandparents. They were living in Uggool, Kilmovee in 1901. James had died between 1901-1911 and BRIDGET was still living in Uggool in 1911.
Witnesses to JAMES HIGGINS & BRIDGET GRIFFIN's marriage were James Duffy and Anna Griffin
Their children were:-
1. MARY HIGGINS baptised 6 July 1858 Kilmovee RC Church-living at Cloonamna-Godparents Michael Griffin and Catherine Moran. This Mary died.
2. CATHERINE HIGGINS baptised 23 February 1862 Kilmovee RC Church-living at Uggool-Godparents James Griffin & Mary Griffin. CATHERINE was still single in 1911
3. PATRICK HIGGINS baptised 14 July 1864 Kilmovee RC Church-living at Uggool-Godparents James Griffin & Winifred Griffin. PATRICK HIGGINS married CATHERINE DUFFY of Clooniron on 6 February 1904. Witnesses were James Griffin and Mary Frain. I think Patrick died in 1951.
4. MARY HIGGINS baptised 26 October 1867 Kilmovee RC Church-living at Uggool-Godparents Patrick Griffin & Winifred Griffin. MARY HIGGINS married THOMAS McCANN of Killaclare on 21 February 1897. Witnesses were James McCann & Bridget Griffin.
5. BRIDGET HIGGINS baptised 30 March 1869 Kilmovee RC Church-living at Uggool-Godparents Patrick Higgins & Winifred Griffin. I can't find a Death or Marriage for Bridget Higgins. I sent for a Death Certificate for a Bridget Higgins who died in Sept 1869 but she was the daughter of PATRICK HIGGINS & MARY GARA of Uggool. I can't see any other likely ones who have died. I don't know whether she has married a GRIFFIN or not as there was a Bridget Griffin witness at her sister Mary's marriage in 1897.
6. JAMES HIGGINS baptised 11 June 1871 Kilmovee RC Church-living at Uggool-Godparents PATRICK CAULFIELD & Mary Griffin. I think this JAMES is my Grandfather.
7. PETER HIGGINS baptised 18 November 1876 Kilmovee RC Church-living at Uggool-Godparents Patrick Griffin & Winifred Griffin. Peter Higgins died 29 May 1877 at Uggool-Informant was THOMAS HORAN.
I was wondering if you have any HIGGINS as your GRIFFIN, McCANN, CAULFIELD & HORAN appear in this HIGGINS family that I think is mine.
Regards
Pat Berry in Australia
Higgins, Griffin, Duffy, Comer, Donnelly, Hearne, Henry, Woodside, Hague, Greaves, Davison, Mooney, Rockley, McKenna, Byrne, Berry & Barnacle.

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 May 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

I'm afraid I missed the notification of your post, so apologies for the late reply!

It certainly looks as though the families may be related - all those surnames are in my family, but unfortunately I can't match any of them exactly.  I haven't found any Higgins connections in Kilmovee yet, but I need to take another look at this branch of the family, and if I find anything I'll let you know.

Rambler

Offline Pat38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 May 15 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Rambler

Thank you for your reply.
Another name that may be related is O'DONNELL.
At the moment I am going through the O'Donnell's of Uggool/Egool.
Where are your CAULFIELD's from?
Pat

Hi Pat,

I'm afraid I missed the notification of your post, so apologies for the late reply!

It certainly looks as though the families may be related - all those surnames are in my family, but unfortunately I can't match any of them exactly.  I haven't found any Higgins connections in Kilmovee yet, but I need to take another look at this branch of the family, and if I find anything I'll let you know.

Rambler
Higgins, Griffin, Duffy, Comer, Donnelly, Hearne, Henry, Woodside, Hague, Greaves, Davison, Mooney, Rockley, McKenna, Byrne, Berry & Barnacle.

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My Caulfields are from Rusheens, and (possibly!) later at Carralackey, unless there are 2 couples with the same names.  The Griffins are from Leveelick.

Rambler

Offline Pat38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Manchester Rambler
Thank you for your reply regarding your Caulfield's and Griffin's. I am going through all that I have found so far and I may get back to you.
Thanks again
Regards
Pat Berry

Hi,

My Caulfields are from Rusheens, and (possibly!) later at Carralackey, unless there are 2 couples with the same names.  The Griffins are from Leveelick.

Rambler

Offline flatley2bsure

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat38, not sure if you're aware but there was a second Higgins families at Uggool (Eggool) during the periods you've mentioned who also had a father and son named James (father was 49, son 18 in 1901) - they're on my own tree.

I'm a Flatley and have Higgins and Horans within my tree (hence my interest in this thread). I note the date of the thread so wont post any specific details as yet just in case it's expired!

Manchester Rambler - I'm pretty sure there are still Cauldfields in Carralackey today (I've often passed through there when travelling between Kilmovee and Charlestown).